Android Call Blocker App Review from DroidForums

Gramesmith

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for sharing such an useful app.
I have installed this app and it worked perfectly.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
...As well, "Wireless phone subscribers have always been able to add their personal wireless phone numbers to the national Do-Not-Call list...

Then, there's always a way to file a complaint...

There's only one problem with the DNC list and with filing a complaint... Phone number spoofing. I've found an inordinate number of telemarketers and other bothersome callers spoofing their numbers so that when you call them back it's usually a dead number, not in service. You can report those but it does no good since there is no way to trace them back to the original offender.

I have this Indian company that keeps trying to sell me drugs. They call themselves US Pharmacy, and its the same pitch every time. They will not remove me from the list. So in order to aggravate them the way they do me, one day I actually kept them on the phone for 20 minutes and ordered cases of like dozens of drugs! then when the guy asked me for my credit card information I told him he could put it on my tab for all the harassing calls they had made to me over the past several months... The long silence (pregnant pause), was precious... He didn't know what to do and just said nothing for about a minute... Then he solemnly said thank you and hung up. I actually didn't get calls from them for about two weeks after that but then they started back up again, every day! I've called the numbers they come in on and they're fictitious.

There needs to be a uniform way to capture those as well.

Last edited:

dawning

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Now the problem is, we still cannot prevent them from calling us. They will use / spoof many more numbers even if you always block the numbers, right?

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Now the problem is, we still cannot prevent them from calling us. They will use / spoof many more numbers even if you always block the numbers, right?
That is correct.

Including your phone # in your online profile(It's your phone Model # not phone #) will have them calling you more as well.

WildcatRudy

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Yeah. I'd like to see some stats on how many sales they actually make that way. I've never taken any deal a telemarketer offered me when I used to actually give them a minute to speak their piece. Now, I'm on the DNC list and I block others. Maybe people like us are the exception, but I've seen many people hang up on telemarketers over the years and never once watched someone sit and listen to the whole spiel and buy/order/etc from them.

Sadly, some of the elderly are very impressionable and, yes, compassionate, and will listen to the whole song and dance, and get suckered into it. My aunt often had to get out of things my uncle had signed up for, as he was a sucker for that sort of thing (along with calling in on offers that were always too good to be true).

When I was a general manager of the family business, we used to love playing with telemarketers. We would either cuss them out and slam the phone down, or better yet, we would set the phone down and let them rattle off their whole sales pitch to dead air. My buddy got into an argument with one of them trying to sell a water filtering system. The call pretty much ended with, "That water is going to KILL your kid." My buddy yells back, "That's FINE! We can just make another one!" Pwnt! :D

WildcatRudy

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Not that I'm against using an app like this by any means, but according to the FCC...

"placing telemarketing calls to wireless phones is - and always has been - illegal in most cases."

That was going through my mind also. That was preceded by the same rule for fax machines. The basic idea was that telemarketers should never make a call that could cost the recipient money (paper and maybe toner for fax machines, airtime minutes for phones). Many just did it until they got caught. They probably made enough that they'd pay the fine as a cost of doing business.

I think one catch to the rule was the "prior business" clause, where if you've done prior business with someone, they can still make telemarketing calls to you. Someone trying to get you to upgrade your existing service, as one example. But to be honest, I haven't had that happen to me in 15 years, maybe more.

For my part, I have used Google numbers for many years (since it was introduced). My primary number that everyone uses, has followed me between a few carriers, and needless to say, quite a few people have it. One cool feature of Google Voice (which I would lose if I switched to Project Fi :( ) is that if you block a caller, Google will send out a "This number is no longer in service" message to the caller. These calls end up in your GV spam folder. I do have some repeat callers--they just call from another of their incoming lines, but eventually I get them all blocked.

I've also been on the Do Not Call lists.

Ultimately I should answer those calls. I should learn some Slavic language, or even Polish (both part of my heritage), and start babbling to them in those languages. :D