Android Call Blocker App Review from DroidForums

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Good afternoon guys! I intend that your Thursday is going well. For all of the folks out there who have noticed the trend of telemarketers getting more bothersome on your cell phone over the past year or two, we have a video review above you will want to check out.

We decided to review a handy little call blocker app from NQ Mobile. It's called Call Blocker - Blacklist and it's a very handy app if you are being inundated with voice or message spam from telemarketers. Check out the video review above for all the details.

Here's a link to the Google Play Store to pick up this great free app: Call Blocker Free - Blacklist - Android Apps on Google Play

Last edited:

DrumsOfGrohl

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iphone 6
Cool app! Man, I cant tell you how many times I wish I had something like this to stop those cold callers. There's a company that calls me about every 2 weeks, and I tell them every time not to call. Doesn't work.
Thanks for the app review, stormy.

Irontyke

Reaction score
I hope this works. Thanks for the tip. I used to be able to block calls on my RAZR Maxx but the S5 won't do it consistently.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Not that I'm against using an app like this by any means, but according to the FCC...

"placing telemarketing calls to wireless phones is - and always has been - illegal in most cases."

It goes on to say that their are rumors going around that they're creating a sort of 411 for wireless, but this is only in an idea stage.

As well, "Wireless phone subscribers have always been able to add their personal wireless phone numbers to the national Do-Not-Call list, either online, or by calling toll-free to 1-888-382-1222 from the phone number they wish to register. The do-not-call rules require callers that are not exempt from the rules to stop telemarketing calls 30 days after you register a number." I did this a couple years ago and rarely, if ever, receive telemarketing calls on my cell.

Then, there's always a way to file a complaint:

"If you receive an unwanted telemarketing call that you think violates the do-not-call rules, you can file a complaint using an online complaint form. There is no charge for filing a complaint. You can also file your complaint with the FCC's Consumer Center by calling 1-888-CALL-FCC (1-888-225-5322) voice or 1-888-TELL-FCC (1-888-835-5322) for TTY; or writing to:

Federal Communications Commission
Consumer and Governmental Affairs Bureau
Consumer Inquiries and Complaints Division
445 12th Street, SW
Washington, DC 20554."

With that said, seems like this app will be able to help you block callers that are exempt from the Do Not Call rules.

Still a great video though. I feel like it'd be easy to start using the app if I found myself in need of it after watching and I'm glad you mentioned things like dropping a current call if a blocked call comes in, because that's good to know from the start.

Source: Truth About Wireless Phones and the National Do-Not-Call List FCC.gov

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info @Jonny Kansas! I am actually on the Do-Not-Call list, but I didn't know about the complaint line. My app makes things even easier I suppose though. :)

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Thanks for the info @Jonny Kansas! I am actually on the Do-Not-Call list, but I didn't know about the complaint line. My app makes things even easier I suppose though. :)
Definitely quicker to tap a couple buttons in an app and stop the annoyance. I loved that Samsung added the ability to create an ignore list on the S4. Can't recall whether it's on the Note 4 as well, but I haven't had much trouble since upgrading. If they didn't, I might add this app to my arsenal.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Also, I'm pretty sure telemarketers count on people not knowing that they can file a complaint, so I'd recommend using it once in a while.

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Also, I'm pretty sure telemarketers count on people not knowing that they can file a complaint, so I'd recommend using it once in a while.
Good point. I wish they would just make telemarketing illegal altogether. I don't know a single soul who is happy to get a telemarketing call (unless they are going to prank them).

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Good point. I wish they would just make telemarketing illegal altogether. I don't know a single soul who is happy to get a telemarketing call (unless they are going to prank them).
Yeah. I'd like to see some stats on how many sales they actually make that way. I've never taken any deal a telemarketer offered me when I used to actually give them a minute to speak their piece. Now, I'm on the DNC list and I block others. Maybe people like us are the exception, but I've seen many people hang up on telemarketers over the years and never once watched someone sit and listen to the whole spiel and buy/order/etc from them.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
My virtual home phone rings to my cell phone, so even if my cell is not to be called by Telemarketers, my home phone is. It is on the DNC list, but I still get called.

Since I don't have time to complain, apps like this make sense. Just block them. Done.
This is why Android makes more sense to me, being able to install apps that make my phone more than just a pretty device.