Android 2.1 Update Rolls Out For Motorola Droid!

chromashadows

Reaction score
Last year I got a bag of rabbit pellits. A lump of coal wouldn't be bad. I could use that to lower my heating bill. I may be calling it in onmyself, but I wonder who's going to be the poor schlep to be the last one to get the update. Any volunteers out there in lala-cyber land.

Seriously. I just JUST got the droid like 4 days ago and am still not used to it. I'd rather wait a while, get used to this system and THEN get the 2.1 so I can fully enjoy it for what it truly does.
Does that make sense? I remember with my bb curve 8330, I had it for a year or so and got a new update and O_O wow was it ROCKING! A friend who also had te same phone for only a few weeks said he noticed nothing different. I wanna be the one doing the happy excited dance with all of you. My Droid 1.0.2 has the 7 screens on it so that's nothing new to me but yeah. I'd rather play with this as is for a month or so and THEN upgrade.

I'll gladly go last just so it means more to me once i DO get it.
:):heart::motdroidhoriz:
You do make sense. Just enjoy your new Droid! :icon_ banana: As for 7 screens, I take it that you downloaded an application? If so, could you tell me how and do you use Helix? I did download Helix and I still can't find the settings to configure what I desire. Since this is an off topic relate to 7 screens, please use PM.

Thanks and Happy Droiding.

sent it to maybe your private message area? since Im still a profile/forum noob I hope they'll forgive this: I'm putting it here too just in case. also never know if anyone else will stumble upon this info so it's kinda helping more than thread hijacking:
hey. hope this goes through. I got the helix app and if you go into the normal settings and go to 'configure' (You do have to download and activate helix first). in the config menu, the first option should be 'screen size'. change it there from 1 to 7 screens. however your apps WILL be off the pages so just pull em up from the box on your lower screen, also you can assign 4 icons that will scroll with the pages just like the app drawer box does. :) Hope that helps!

FoxZia

Reaction score
Seriously. I just JUST got the droid like 4 days ago and am still not used to it. I'd rather wait a while, get used to this system and THEN get the 2.1 so I can fully enjoy it for what it truly does.
Does that make sense? I remember with my bb curve 8330, I had it for a year or so and got a new update and O_O wow was it ROCKING! A friend who also had te same phone for only a few weeks said he noticed nothing different. I wanna be the one doing the happy excited dance with all of you. My Droid 1.0.2 has the 7 screens on it so that's nothing new to me but yeah. I'd rather play with this as is for a month or so and THEN upgrade.

I'll gladly go last just so it means more to me once i DO get it.
:):heart::motdroidhoriz:
You do make sense. Just enjoy your new Droid! :icon_ banana: As for 7 screens, I take it that you downloaded an application? If so, could you tell me how and do you use Helix? I did download Helix and I still can't find the settings to configure what I desire. Since this is an off topic relate to 7 screens, please use PM.

Thanks and Happy Droiding.

sent it to maybe your private message area? since Im still a profile/forum noob I hope they'll forgive this: I'm putting it here too just in case. also never know if anyone else will stumble upon this info so it's kinda helping more than thread hijacking:
hey. hope this goes through. I got the helix app and if you go into the normal settings and go to 'configure' (You do have to download and activate helix first). in the config menu, the first option should be 'screen size'. change it there from 1 to 7 screens. however your apps WILL be off the pages so just pull em up from the box on your lower screen, also you can assign 4 icons that will scroll with the pages just like the app drawer box does. :) Hope that helps!
I do understand that you prefer to post it in case someone find this post which I am sure people would appreciate including me... but it's 236 + pages already. I highly doubt that people would read through page after page to find your solutions. Perhaps, creating a new thread somewhere in a proper thread... but I am newbie here too.

1) Where is the normal setting?

2) Where is the configuration?

On my droid even before I got the update, there's no application "listed" in my application list. It will only appear in Setting, Application. The Helix is just there. I hope I make sense. I am not the only one who can't find the settings; commenters on the Market for Helix also complained.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
My brother got the update and called me and asked what was different - said he got nothing from Verizon telling him about the new features.

So I led him through everything - he couldn't believe no one told him about the new stuff before the download.

creative999

Reaction score
I did the manual update but I cannot use the weather widget provided with the update. The GPS does not pick up the location and when I type in my zip code it says unavailable.

Is this a known bug?

Thanks

FoxZia

Reaction score
My brother got the update and called me and asked what was different - said he got nothing from Verizon telling him about the new features.

So I led him through everything - he couldn't believe no one told him about the new stuff before the download.
Carriers/Manufacturers usually doesn't announce the new updates. The owner of the phone who first got the update AND is a MEMBER of a FORUMS usually say "I got the update!". That's how the "when do I get the upates (OTA)..how do I get the update (OTA)?" "I heard that the new update (OTA) is coming out soon" starts. Occasionally, an employee would start that (which really shouldn't be done this way). Sorry to say this. I rather hear that from an owner...it's fun this way (from my point of view).

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Are you guys that haven't gotten the OTA 2.1 update checking Settings--> About Phone --> System Updates - and then tapping on "System Updates" to check if there is one?

Wouldn't hurt to take a look if you haven't already.

Mike
Have done that multiple times today, no joy yet.
Sorry to hear that. If there was a way I would give you my update.

Mike

The manual update is at Download Android 2.1 Firmware Update for Verizon Droid and Upgrade Manually

chromashadows

Reaction score
I do understand that you prefer to post it in case someone find this post which I am sure people would appreciate including me... but it's 236 + pages already. I highly doubt that people would read through page after page to find your solutions. Perhaps, creating a new thread somewhere in a proper thread... but I am newbie here too.

1) Where is the normal setting?

2) Where is the configuration?

On my droid even before I got the update, there's no application "listed" in my application list. It will only appear in Setting, Application. The Helix is just there. I hope I make sense. I am not the only one who can't find the settings; commenters on the Market for Helix also complained.[/QUOTE]

I know you have to download the app first and then run it. It will give you the choice to choose the factory home or the Helix. Obvs you want Helix. Then on the actual phone on the bottom there, see the 4 lines option to press? The second button there in the black hard area. That will open a lil menu. You'll see "add" "wallpaper" then "configure". That is where you wanna hit, then you'll see the rest of what I said above about going to the first option "Screen Size". :)

Anomander

Reaction score
I know this is a long thread - but you guys DO know you can install 2.1 manually and it's the same.... no waiting.
I was going to do that, but I wanted to see how long it would actually take for me to get it the official way. My wife and I both got it this morning. So we didn't have to wait to terribly long from when it first started rolling out.

Klong

Reaction score
I waited for the "official" ota. Took a couple hours of research, a battery pull and then a factory reset to get everything working correctly -so waiting for the ota doesn't guarantee a smooth install. My Droid isn't rooted.................................................................yet.