Android 2.1 Update Rolls Out For Motorola Droid!

SoCal Dude

Reaction score
Got my automatic update about 20 minutes ago when I got off of work. Live wallpapers is the only noticeable change, but haven't had time to tinker with it...any suggestions to check anything out?

FoxZia

Reaction score
I know this is a long thread - but you guys DO know you can install 2.1 manually and it's the same.... no waiting.

I'm not good at manually doing stuff like that. I'm always afraid I'm gonna mess it up some how. My theory is, if I can have it done automatically. I will. lol
I did my first manually last night. It went well. But remember if you do decide to do the manual steps , you'll be at your own risk. There's a link that give a very details instructions on how to do the manual updates and do use that website (I don't have it unless I find it again). Don't rely on posters' "simple" steps. I think the next time there's an update, I'll wait til it arrives to my Droid.

chromashadows

Reaction score
I'll be the last!!!!

I'm hoping that the Easter bunny comes tonight and brings me my 2.1 update, but knowing my luck It'll just get a lump of coal... or whatever the Easter equivilant is... :(

Last year I got a bag of rabbit pellits. A lump of coal wouldn't be bad. I could use that to lower my heating bill. I may be calling it in onmyself, but I wonder who's going to be the poor schlep to be the last one to get the update. Any volunteers out there in lala-cyber land.

Seriously. I just JUST got the droid like 4 days ago and am still not used to it. I'd rather wait a while, get used to this system and THEN get the 2.1 so I can fully enjoy it for what it truly does.
Does that make sense? I remember with my bb curve 8330, I had it for a year or so and got a new update and O_O wow was it ROCKING! A friend who also had te same phone for only a few weeks said he noticed nothing different. I wanna be the one doing the happy excited dance with all of you. My Droid 1.0.2 has the 7 screens on it so that's nothing new to me but yeah. I'd rather play with this as is for a month or so and THEN upgrade.

I'll gladly go last just so it means more to me once i DO get it.
:):heart::motdroidhoriz:

SoCal Dude

Reaction score
The update should hit your phone soon...I just got mine so now my firmware version is "2.1-update1"

looks like they are finally rolling out the automatic updates.

I Turned off my phone for work today, and when I turned it back on it asked me if I wanted to install new hardware for my phone (or software, not sure what it said) but I said install now, and in about 5 minutes it was installed and running!

FoxZia

Reaction score
I'm hoping that the Easter bunny comes tonight and brings me my 2.1 update, but knowing my luck It'll just get a lump of coal... or whatever the Easter equivilant is... :(

Last year I got a bag of rabbit pellits. A lump of coal wouldn't be bad. I could use that to lower my heating bill. I may be calling it in onmyself, but I wonder who's going to be the poor schlep to be the last one to get the update. Any volunteers out there in lala-cyber land.

Seriously. I just JUST got the droid like 4 days ago and am still not used to it. I'd rather wait a while, get used to this system and THEN get the 2.1 so I can fully enjoy it for what it truly does.
Does that make sense? I remember with my bb curve 8330, I had it for a year or so and got a new update and O_O wow was it ROCKING! A friend who also had te same phone for only a few weeks said he noticed nothing different. I wanna be the one doing the happy excited dance with all of you. My Droid 1.0.2 has the 7 screens on it so that's nothing new to me but yeah. I'd rather play with this as is for a month or so and THEN upgrade.

I'll gladly go last just so it means more to me once i DO get it.
:):heart::motdroidhoriz:
You do make sense. Just enjoy your new Droid! :icon_ banana: As for 7 screens, I take it that you downloaded an application? If so, could you tell me how and do you use Helix? I did download Helix and I still can't find the settings to configure what I desire. Since this is an off topic relate to 7 screens, please use PM.

Thanks and Happy Droiding.

bennyj

Reaction score
I originally did not get the ota update, so I did the manual update. It seemed to run ok but a little choppy. So I thought what the heck, I'll do a factory reset and see what happens. I was thinking that it would roll me back to 2.0.1.But after the reset I checked and am running 2.1 update 1 !. So I imagine that the ota must have been pushed to my phone, but seeing how I was already running 2.1, I got no notice. So far everything seems to run nice and smooth. call quality does seem better.

drew

Reaction score
I got tired of waiting so i did the manual update. At first glance, it really seemed the same (was running PandaHome). I uninstalled Panda and realized that was a mistake. Tried HelixLauncher1 and seem to like it and configured it to 5 screens. Between that and the live wallpapers, i'm pretty happy. The gallery changes are really nice...i didn't try the yahoo stuff yet.

LifeIsABeach

Reaction score
I originally did not get the ota update, so I did the manual update. It seemed to run ok but a little choppy. So I thought what the heck, I'll do a factory reset and see what happens. I was thinking that it would roll me back to 2.0.1.But after the reset I checked and am running 2.1 update 1 !. So I imagine that the ota must have been pushed to my phone, but seeing how I was already running 2.1, I got no notice. So far everything seems to run nice and smooth. call quality does seem better.

Once you manually install 2.1 a factory reset cannot take you back to 2.0.1 which is why you were still at 2.1, not the ota update.

Reaction score
are there any dangers or bad things that could happen from having done the update manually? i couldn't wait any longer so i did it and i'm wondering if it was a mistake. everything seems fine so far, but i wanted to make sure so i figured i'd ask some people who know more than me!

brianes99

Reaction score
not worth the hype

yeh the live wallpapers are cool, the gallery changes are nice. Updates to media player are useful. But at the same time, no improvements to the email prg. and now market has problems connecting (related or not, I don't know).