Android 2.1 Update Rolls Out For Motorola Droid!

CoreyT

Reaction score
Are you guys that haven't gotten the OTA 2.1 update checking Settings--> About Phone --> System Updates - and then tapping on "System Updates" to check if there is one?

Wouldn't hurt to take a look if you haven't already.

Mike
Have done that multiple times today, no joy yet.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Please do not talk about rooting in this thread. I actually get complaints from other members about this. I'm not repeating myself because I enjoy it. Thank you and have a good evening.

Mikejl

Reaction score
Are you guys that haven't gotten the OTA 2.1 update checking Settings--> About Phone --> System Updates - and then tapping on "System Updates" to check if there is one?

Wouldn't hurt to take a look if you haven't already.

Mike
Have done that multiple times today, no joy yet.
Sorry to hear that. If there was a way I would give you my update.

Mike

FoxZia

Reaction score
Sorry for being a little bit off topic. And please do correct me if I am wrong.

Getting an update is Random. If you got the update but your girlfriend, father, neighbor didn't... it was because the update is being randomized. It does not go by States, last name, first batch, the numbers of people who FIRST bought Droid. It is completely random. I forgot how the system works... but something that the server check.

I went through that when I had Sidekick (my first real "smart phone"). Lot of sidekick users complained and wondered who get it first. Just like Droid...RANDOM.

The only difference between Sidekick and Droid on "force update" is that Droid users can use the link(s) and upgrade it. For sidekick...I rather not say how... I am sure one day, (IF) the Sidekick Admin see me post on how to force the update... he'll kill me... even though I no longer use sidekick. But I do visit their forums...they're like a family...except not Microsoft.

My guess is that all phones no matter what carrier users have... updates are being randomized.

Hope this help you understand how Updates works.

Droidfuzz

Reaction score
I patiently waited and then woke up to a nice treat this morning. I love it so far. Good luck everyone!

Rollingbones

Reaction score
Mike

Yup, been checking and no update, but I'm not surprised. I'm the kind of person who can buy 3 boxes of Cracker Jack and not get a prize inside!!!

Christobal

Reaction score
Mike

Yup, been checking and no update, but I'm not surprised. I'm the kind of person who can buy 3 boxes of Cracker Jack and not get a prize inside!!!

Are you telling me that prizes don't come in EVERY box anymore??? :frown:

droid_mike

Reaction score
I'm hoping that the Easter bunny comes tonight and brings me my 2.1 update, but knowing my luck It'll just get a lump of coal... or whatever the Easter equivilant is... :(

Rollingbones

Reaction score
I'm hoping that the Easter bunny comes tonight and brings me my 2.1 update, but knowing my luck It'll just get a lump of coal... or whatever the Easter equivilant is... :(

Last year I got a bag of rabbit pellits. A lump of coal wouldn't be bad. I could use that to lower my heating bill. I may be calling it in onmyself, but I wonder who's going to be the poor schlep to be the last one to get the update. Any volunteers out there in lala-cyber land.

Kay

Reaction score
My Droid is still running ESD56 ... I never got any updates and when I called verizon and motorola they couldn't get my phone to update either so the direct link was sent to me to do myself... my phone STILL wouldn't update. So, I had to get a new Droid... it should get to me (considering I live in the desert) by Tuesday. So, I highly doubt the droid I have now will update and I will be SHOCKED if it does. Hopefully, the new Droid I get runs better and has no problems... and already has the long awaited update.

GreenAcid

Reaction score
Still no update for me. I Bought my Droid 2/1/2010....My friend bought her's in January I believe, and just got hers this morning, and of course i got "WHAT DO I DO, WHAT'S NEW"....I just had to remind myself....Update's always roll out to those who don't expect it, first :(

I'm hoping (Not to steal anyone's line) the Easter Bunny will bring me mine this morning as well. I want me some live wallpapers!

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
I know this is a long thread - but you guys DO know you can install 2.1 manually and it's the same.... no waiting.

askikr28

Reaction score
Couldn't wait any longer, manually updated this afternoon. Worked like a charm!!! One thing I see and understand from this forum, if you don't have or ever rooted your phone and you were stock at 2.01 this update will go smoothly, if you want to manually update.

Lovin 2.1 update1:icon_ banana:

GreenAcid

Reaction score
I know this is a long thread - but you guys DO know you can install 2.1 manually and it's the same.... no waiting.

I'm not good at manually doing stuff like that. I'm always afraid I'm gonna mess it up some how. My theory is, if I can have it done automatically. I will. lol