Android 2.1 - Shows ALL my Contacts from Gmail !! Bad !!

tuan1969

Reaction score
When my Eris had Android 1.5, I was able to show only my Phone contacts in the PEOPLE app (by selecting to sync only my phone contacts).

HOWEVER, now that I just updated the OS to Android 2.1, that feature is now GONE!! now my PEOPLE app contains ALL contacts - including my stupid GMAIL contacts.

Is there a way to show only my Phone contacts on my phone? In my Gmail account, I do have a Group called "Cell Phone Contacts". Is there a way to have my Eris sync only that ?

THANKS SO MUCH for any help.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
When my Eris had Android 1.5, I was able to show only my Phone contacts in the PEOPLE app (by selecting to sync only my phone contacts).

HOWEVER, now that I just updated the OS to Android 2.1, that feature is now GONE!! now my PEOPLE app contains ALL contacts - including my stupid GMAIL contacts.

Is there a way to show only my Phone contacts on my phone? In my Gmail account, I do have a Group called "Cell Phone Contacts". Is there a way to have my Eris sync only that ?

THANKS SO MUCH for any help.

I'm not sure how it works with Eris, the Droid has a setting in the contacts to show only those with phone numbers. I'd look in your settings to see if you can find the same thing.

OP
T

tuan1969

Reaction score
When the OS was 1.5, I had that option to show contacts with numbers only... but like I said, OS 2.1 doesn't have any of those options anymore. It's showing all my contacts from Facebook and Gmail! All I want is my phone contacts to show. Very frustrating. Does anyone out there have Android 2.1 installed and can halp me with this? Thanks so much !!!

OP
T

tuan1969

Reaction score
thanks to all. I figured it out with some help.

les017

Reaction score
Yep wifes Eris did the same with 2.1. I cant remember the exact commands right now but you should still have the option in People to go Menu> Groups> Sync Groups (our something like that) and be shown options to Sync Google and/or Sync Phone.

But before you do this you will need to do done address book cleaning first.

Export ALL contacts to SD Card. Then go to GMail contacts on your computer and Export all contacts there. Separately edit each of these address book "vcard" files so that your Google export only has the contacts you want left and the edit the file from the SDCard so that it ONLY has everyone else, ie, the ones you want to show up on your phone.

Now you can delete all of your GMail contacts and then import the edited GMAil address card. You now have your slimmed down Google contacts. Now delete ail contacts on your phone, put the edited SDCard address file back on your phone and perform an "Import From SDCard". These are now your phone contacts. Go back to the phones People settings and select "show Phone Contacts Only".

You should be good to go. Oh yeah, make sure you have Eris SYNC TURNED OFF until you are completely done with all of this, or things could get messed up. When fine turn sYNC back on and from now on make sure how you select contacts entered on your phone. There is always a choice to add new contacts as either PHONE our as GOOGLE.

Also, make separate backups of both the GMail and SDCard address dumps before you start editing.....for obvious reasons

jdrorrer

Reaction score
Go to settings > accounts & sync > select google > deselect "sync google contacts"

PRince

Reaction score
i did this and it cleaned things up a bit. Its still the same mess if you click on text message screen and the press the person icon in the top right to view your contacts and who to send a text message to.

Im seeing phone numbers apear 5 times in row that have only been inputted once along with facebook contacts, gmail, and phone. How do I clean this one up now?

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
lol when I first got my phone and wasnt sure what I was doing, went to phone contacts and has some 200+ facebook people not in my phone contact list..last thing I wanted so had to manually delete them all..

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
easy fix
get a droid

people at verizon wont let me switch unless i spend some vast amount of $ for a new phone cause im breaking my 2 year contract

They will if you extend your contract another 2 years even if you have time left on your current one.

PRince

Reaction score
easy fix
get a droid

people at verizon wont let me switch unless i spend some vast amount of $ for a new phone cause im breaking my 2 year contract

They will if you extend your contract another 2 years even if you have time left on your current one.

This eris is like 2 or 3 months old. So if I pay for a new motorola right now they'll combine it? So ill have the motorola droid for the next 45 or 46 months? without being about to choose a new phone in 24 months?

PRince

Reaction score
im afraid to do some just because every 2 years theres always a new super phone but that may be the only option i have to get a phone that actually makes phone calls constitenly

les017

Reaction score
I dunno, I looked into moving wife from Eris to incredible and was told that I would have to pay full price since they don't do any kind of early upgrade before at least 12 months into the contact