Changing contacts from "phone" to "Google"?

Flomaster

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I use the standard messaging app. Since we are talking about handcent...how can I make it not show the regular message and handcent message in the taskbar?

Cancel that, I read some and found it. Tried installed and it rebooted my phone twice. Back to stock.
in the messaging app go into settings turn auto receive off and turn off notifications

-=Jason=-

OP
Bob Dammit

Bob Dammit

Super Moderator
Reaction score
You dont need a 3rd party app to export contacts with the 2.1 rom, it is an option under the people tab.

Just noticed that too :)

So yes anyone reading this I guess we came up with a solution.
Except there is still no way so sync "phone" contacts to google. The only work around I have found is creating "google" accounts for all of your contacts. They should (might) link by deafult, but the numbers dont transfer between linked accounts. This is what I ended up doing:

1: Set up new "Google" contacts for all of my existing "Phone" contacts. If they link, thats OK, if not, thats even better.

2: Force a Google sync (Form the Home screen, Menu > Accounts & Sync > Sync Now)

3: Log into your Gmail account on your computer.

4: On the left side of the screen, click "Contacts"

5: In the contacts screen, click on "All Contacts"

6: Starting at the top of the list of contacts, Click on the contact name, click "Edit", and manually enter the contact information. (this was why it was easier to use the computer, My wife read the contact information off her phone to me, and I typed it into her google contacts. Otherwise there is a lot of copying and pasting, and its real easy to screw up.

7: After all of the information is transfered, go back to your phone and force another Google sync.

8: Go through your "google contacts on your phone, and make sure all the numbers are correct.

OPTIONAL (I did this just to keep everything clean and neat, Im anal about my contact list on my phone, so I cleaned up my wifes too)

9: One at a time, Delete the "phone" contacts, leaving only the "Google" contacts. If your contacts "Linked" back in step 1, you will need to break the link.
- Open a contact
- Top right corner of the contact will show 2 small circles with a green line connecting them.
- Tap the icon, and select Unlink (I believe thats what it is called, its self explanatory at this point)
- Go back to your contacts, and the "Unlinked" contact will now show as 2 contacts, one as "Phone", and one as "google"
- Delete the "Phone" contact
- Repeat as needed.

OP
Bob Dammit

Bob Dammit

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I had the same problem, my recent contacts that I've added were set to phone (I had no idea) and they weren't syncing with google.

Is there a way to set them to Google?
When you add a NEW contact, the first drop down menu is titled "Contact Account". Choose "Google" in that drop down menu. It appears the last choice will remain as your default choice, but double check it. Once it is set to google or phone, you cant change it without making a new contact for that person.

hlaalu

Reaction score
I had the same problem, my recent contacts that I've added were set to phone (I had no idea) and they weren't syncing with google.

When you add a NEW contact, the first drop down menu is titled "Contact Account". Choose "Google" in that drop down menu. It appears the last choice will remain as your default choice, but double check it. Once it is set to google or phone, you cant change it without making a new contact for that person.

Yup this is the only way that works. I think the main concern/issue is why the heck can't we change an existing contact from phone to google? Haven't found a way to do this except to make a new contact w/google, and delete the contact w/phone.

bionicback

Reaction score
I think this might help with the "phone" vs "google" issue by getting your contacts into your Gmail account. After performing a sync using what else...HTC sync....I opened Outlook, clicked on "file" then "import and export". Using the import / export wizard I selected "export to file" (next) "Comma Separated Values (Windows)" (next) then I selected the contacts folder (next) then I named and saved it someplace where I could find it later. I opened my Gmail account, clicked on contacts, and in the upper right hand corner of the contacts window was import | export | print. I clicked on import and followed the directions. It asked for the location of the CSV file I created earlier. When I was done all my contacts from Outlook were in my Gmail account. Now on your phone tap Menu, then Settings, then Data synchronization, then Google. At the bottom is Contacts, if it's checked then uncheck and recheck. This will force a sync. Now if you look in people you will have all your contacts are labeled "phone" and "google" now you can delete the "phone" contacts and you will be left with just "google" contacts.
BB

Last edited:

bllarkin

Reaction score
For those that already have all of their contacts as "phone", as has been said, the easiest way to fix it is going to be exporting them to CSV then importing back into Gmail.

bionicback

Reaction score
Isn't that what I said, or did I make it unnecessarily complicated? I do that sometimes. It worked for me, but if there is a simpler way please let me know. I don't want to lead folks astray.
BB

motodroidica

Reaction score
go contacts/display options/ select your gmail account, then check all the boxes... this should show all your google contacts in your contacts list in your droid....

OP
Bob Dammit

Bob Dammit

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Isn't that what I said, or did I make it unnecessarily complicated? I do that sometimes. It worked for me, but if there is a simpler way please let me know. I don't want to lead folks astray.
BB
That would have saved me a couple hours of work!
go contacts/display options/ select your gmail account, then check all the boxes... this should show all your google contacts in your contacts list in your droid....
That doesnt do anything with your contacts that are not saved as "google" contacts.

Greg1234

Reaction score
I don't have a "google" choice

When I add a new contact, the only choice I get is "phone"? I have some of my contacts as "google" (not sure how that happened?) and some as "phone". When I manually sync, only my "google" contacts go to my google account. FRUSTRATING!

ohshtson

Reaction score
I just synced my contacts and none of them are in google, in my phone almost all of my contacts are google contacts but I dont even have a "Contact" link on my google page?