Lost Contacts

Watergirl

Reaction score
Syncing only "My Contacts" to phone after update

I've just updated to 2.1 and now can't figure out how to only sync "my contacts" from gmail- I don't want all my contacts to sync, and the pre-upgrade instructions don't seem to work. Has anyone figured this out?

Thanks!

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've just updated to 2.1 and now can't figure out how to only sync "my contacts" from gmail- I don't want all my contacts to sync, and the pre-upgrade instructions don't seem to work. Has anyone figured this out?

Thanks!

:weldome: to the Forum. You should set this up on line in Gmail. All you really need to do is go to your gmail account, go to "my contacts" and remove anybody that you do not want in there. You don't have to delete them, just edit them out of my contacts.

These are the only contacts that have ever sync to my Droid and I don't remember doing anything special to set it up. I did set up the Droid to only use the "My Contacts" with telephone numbers on them.

OP
W

Watergirl

Reaction score
It's syncing the full contact list- not just my "my contacts" list. It was fine before I did the upgrade.

I'm also not seeing the "favorites" icon in the people list either.

Calm2Chaos

Reaction score
Seems that after the update I have lost the vast majority of my contacts, I would say about 90% of them. My question is simple, how or can I get them back. Seems the same thing has also happened to my wifes list also. Thanks for any help....

Vitticeps

Reaction score
Probably just a sync setting got changed.

Go into contacts then to menu>display options then select your account and make sure all the boxed are checked that you want synced. Do this with whatever accounts you sync contacts with.

edit: just realized this is for a Droid Eris, not a Droid. I'm not sure if the menu options will be exactly the same but they should be there and it's still the most likely source of your problem.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I know nothing about the Eris but decided to look around, see if I could find something for you. It may only be a temporary thing. Did you have your contacts backed up in gmail?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Probably just a sync setting got changed.

Go into contacts then to menu>display options then select your account and make sure all the boxed are checked that you want synced. Do this with whatever accounts you sync contacts with.

edit: just realized this is for a Droid Eris, not a Droid. I'm not sure if the menu options will be exactly the same but they should be there and it's still the most likely source of your problem.

Yeah, from what I read the Eris doesn't work like our Droids in regards to contacts. They don't force them to gmail for some reason.

Calm2Chaos

Reaction score
I know nothing about the Eris but decided to look around, see if I could find something for you. It may only be a temporary thing. Did you have your contacts backed up in gmail?

Na... Doesn't require the back up so I never backed em up. I didn't expect a system update to wipe em out...LOL

anbui.ny

Reaction score
System Update destroyed my contact list!

Someone please help.

I recently applied the system update to my phone and many of my contacts were lost. It seems to have reset my phone back to when I first bought my Eris.

This includes some VERY important contacts including friends and girls I was dating. !@#$@$ I'm so sad. It also seems to have flooded my list with useless e-mail contacts from my gmail account. What the hell happened? I'm assuming some type of synchronization happened where my gmail account was synchronized with my phone contact list. I don't want this!

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Na... Doesn't require the back up so I never backed em up. I didn't expect a system update to wipe em out...LOL

Well, I guess it kind of does require it then, doesn't it?;)

NEW UPDATE--ERASED CONTACTS - HTC Droid Eris Forum

Here's a thread where somebody else is having an issue. Unless it's you in that thread too.:D

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hook, it looks like there are a few people having this problem. Maybe we can get an Eris user to type up a guide for exporting contacts to the SD card like we do with our Droids and Jim can sticky it for our Eris users....

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hook, it looks like there are a few people having this problem. Maybe we can get an Eris user to type up a guide for exporting contacts to the SD card like we do with our Droids and Jim can sticky it for our Eris users....

Do those things have an SD card? ;)

Well, I don't know about a sticky, lets just see if someone can find a solution for it.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Do those things have an SD card? ;)

Well, I don't know about a sticky, lets just see if someone can find a solution for it.

It's your call, I know I've seen 3 threads about this problem in the last few minutes.

abkara

Reaction score
I solved it..

Called Verizon customer support & Solution 1 worked:

SOLUTION 1: remove the battery on your Droid Eris, wait 2 minutes, then reinstall battery and wait about 15 minutes for it to reinstall all your contacts.

SOLUTION 2: If that doesn't work:
Applications- Settings-Data Sync- Google- Background Data- Select All

OP
W

Watergirl

Reaction score
OK, what fixed this for me was going into the "People" widget, hitting menu, hitting view, and clicking on "only contacts with phone number" and turning off "show auto Gmail contacts."