Advanced Calling 1.0 Update Issues?

TDL1068

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
I'm wondering if anyone has seen any issues since the update, besides the issues noted in the discussions already started?

I have a strange anomaly. When accessing an app via a Moto Display notification I see a brief vibrate icon in the notification area. It goes away within a second or two upon launching the app. I do not have my phone on vibrate. This was not there before the update. It does not affect the phone performance, but it does appear to be a small bug of sorts. Anyone else see this? I'm admittedly a little OCPD so that may be the reason I'm noticing! ;-)

Last edited:
OP
TDL1068

TDL1068

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
Update: I just realized it happens when unlocking the lock screen as well, not just when opening an app.

fasteddie0073

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
I used the advanced calling for 1 day, and each call it dropped all 3 calls. After it dropped the 3rd call I disabled the advanced calling and was able to keep the call for the duration in the same area (inside a department store).
Not sure, but I think advanced calling needs 4G, and it is too spotty in my area.

scottysize

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone XS Max
Advance Calling still doesn't work on my device. I have the setting to On, but as soon as I make a call, my 4GLTE drops to 1X presisly as it did prior to the update on Friday. It did take 3 days to see the HD Advance setting on/off, so maybe it'll eventually work in the DFW Metroplex...

Last edited:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I used the advanced calling for 1 day, and each call it dropped all 3 calls. After it dropped the 3rd call I disabled the advanced calling and was able to keep the call for the duration in the same area (inside a department store).
Not sure, but I think advanced calling needs 4G, and it is too spotty in my area.
This would be 100% correct. Unfortunately if its in 4G when the call is initiated and you drop to 3G, the called gets dropped. This will of course ultimately be resolved once 4G is rolled out completely and 3G is replaced in its entirety but until then 4G in spotty areas will cause dropped calls. The only resolution to that obviously is to turn off advanced calling in those areas and utilize 3G to make your call. This of course also then disables the ability to make voice phone calls and use data at the same time, unfortunately.

scottysize

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone XS Max
(Information removed. VZW tech support is an idiot. If you're wondering what was here, look at FoxKat's post below, but know that what I said was wrong.)

Picked up a G3 because it works in my area and for my plan. Guess the Turbo is going on Swappa.

Last edited:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
So, this feature only works with other Advanced Calling phones. It still does not give me the ability to Talk and Surf at the same time on LTE, as I had with my previous LTE phones. Dumb move VZW. The tech support representative is sending me a list of devices that do tlak and surf at the smae time. Lokks like I'm on the hunt for a NEW forever phone and I'll be putting the Turbo up on Swappa.
No, that's not correct. My turbo surfs and talks at the same time. Just to prove it, I called my house phone and I'm on the call right now.

828d5912e80f8cf5b4db9eb6ec503c2b.jpg

scottysize

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone XS Max
Yup. I know the feature is working. Oh shoot. I need to append my earlier statement. Yes, you can talk and surf at the same time on LTE, unless you are me. I believe, but I cannot prove it, I believe they are not allowing the feature to be applied to my unlimited line. Tech Support's an idiot and frankly I don't feel like going to them again. I picked up a G3 yesterday and I'm moving back to it away from the Turbo.

However, everyone, FoxKat is correct, at least as far as I know. With the update, you should be able to do both. If you can't, I'd be very interested in knowing if you are still unlimited...

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Yup. I know the feature is working. Oh shoot. I need to append my earlier statement. Yes, you can talk and surf at the same time on LTE, unless you are me. I believe, but I cannot prove it, I believe they are not allowing the feature to be applied to my unlimited line. Tech Support's an idiot and frankly I don't feel like going to them again. I picked up a G3 yesterday and I'm moving back to it away from the Turbo.

However, everyone, FoxKat is correct, at least as far as I know. With the update, you should be able to do both. If you can't, I'd be very interested in knowing if you are still unlimited...

Dear Scottysize, I am very disappointed in the experience you had with this. I would have loved to have gotten on the phone with you and tech support and helped you to get this resolved, and I am confident that we would have been successful.

I am on an Unlimited plan with two of my phones, a Droid MAXX and my new Droid Turbo, and I can attest that simul. Voice/Data is in fact working on my Unlimited line on the Turbo as demonstrated above.

There is NO reason, I repeat, NO reason that Verizon should be able to discriminate on ANY individual with an Unlimited plan and prevent them from either using voice and data simultaneously, or from using as much data as they damn well please, except if they are using illegal means to gain access to things such as WIFI Tether by way of the "entitlement hack" (editing the SQL file in the OS in Root). This is a CONTRACT and as such, unlimited has a very defined meaning. There is no exception that would apply in this situation in the original contract - I know because I've read all the fine print.

Better luck in the future and please feel free to call on me if you decide to rejoin that battle.

blueblood1914

Reaction score
I just read two posts that said you ARE able to use voice and data at the same time? I may be missing something and I hope a VZW rep can assist. I am quite frankly being patient with the phone, but my patience is running out. I am not able to use voice and data at the same time and I always get the popup that reminds me that I can't. I also have issues receiving many messages, whether through text or a messaging app (groupme) while at home on my WiFi. When I leave the house, I have a ton of messages that pop-up on my phone.

I also have no idea why this "Advanced calling feature" update was sent, nothing spectacular happened with my phone, seemed like it got worse.

I am ready to toss the phone in a lake and change companies. Verizon wants my money on time every month, but my phone and service is horrible.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I just read two posts that said you ARE able to use voice and data at the same time? I may be missing something and I hope a VZW rep can assist. I am quite frankly being patient with the phone, but my patience is running out. I am not able to use voice and data at the same time and I always get the popup that reminds me that I can't. I also have issues receiving many messages, whether through text or a messaging app (groupme) while at home on my WiFi. When I leave the house, I have a ton of messages that pop-up on my phone.

I also have no idea why this "Advanced calling feature" update was sent, nothing spectacular happened with my phone, seemed like it got worse.

I am ready to toss the phone in a lake and change companies. Verizon wants my money on time every month, but my phone and service is horrible.
Once you install the update to include Advanced Calling on your phone, you have to activate it on the Verizon Wireless website.

Advanced Calling FAQs Verizon Wireless

Select "1. How can I get Advanced Calling 1.0?" under " Getting and Setting Up Advanced Calling".

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Thank you, I will go attempt this now.
This can also be done from your "My Verizon Mobile" app on the phone...

First choose "Change Features";

15ff5119379254c1275b79ddaf4b2ef9.jpg

Then choose the phone line you wish to change;

4a730fce395afbcc83c789c4849f393e.jpg

Then scroll to the bottom and choose " Advanced Calling 1.0";

a74e8ed5cbef3ee54fca3e269f3ea49b.jpg

And finally choose "Add this feature";

8a8ccd749157dff919dcea9146fa8b02.jpg

It will prompt a disclosure screen, tap " OK";

747df524289628991040532d15e8f491.jpg

You're done inside the "My Verizon Mobile" app.

Now reboot the phone. Then go to "Settings" on your phone. You'll now see "Advanced Calling" as a new option;

a42654ad0236e1c6e4f4b2e7c11493fb.jpg

Choose that and the next screen has the power switch to turn it on in the phone;

d1d3e60fa356b42831b3e5bf04eafa5c.jpg

Move the switch to "On" and you're up and running.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk