According to Google ICS 4.0.3 coming to devices in the coming weeks

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid Bionic' started by jeremym, Dec 17, 2011.

1. Dave12308

Dave12308 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +50
    I believe that these things not working are due to a lack of certain Motorola proprietary drivers needed to make them work. I would assume that the timeline for fixing this would be dependent on someone getting ahold of these drivers.

EDIT: Well, that or the current GB baseband doesn't play nice with ICS.

2. Dave12308

Dave12308 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +50
    You know, thinking back on it I could have sworn that Google made a statement back when ICS was announced that one of the directions they wanted to go with the new OS was to eliminate 3rd party OS skins like Sense and Blur.

Would be funny if ICS came out, and Blur went bye-bye *LOL*

3. jt122333221

jt122333221 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Moto is owned by Google, so it wouldn't surprise me if they did away with that feature.

I personally like MotoBlur - especially how they've redone it for the bionic. It's not as invasive as it was on the original phone that came with it.

I also can't wait for ICS. I've been tempted to root and test out a custom rom on it but I've read that there are a lot of bugs with the few roms available.

4. b00mb00mchuck

b00mb00mchuck Member

Ratings:
    +5
    don't get too excited about Google having their way with Moto handsets... they have said several times that the would not be involved with operations or production of Motorola Hardware ... they were more interested in aquiring the patents that motorola holds in the mobile industry

5. sargentmajord

sargentmajord Silver Member

Ratings:
    +16
    what patents are they so interested in that they would buy out one of the top leading smartphone developing companies?

6. b00mb00mchuck

b00mb00mchuck Member

Ratings:
    +5
    I don't remember all the details but the articles were from aug/sept last year... moto has over 17,000 patents in it's hot little hands that will help Google defend the android platform from apple and microsoft attacks... that's the "in a nutshell" version of a much larger story i guess.

7. Scribble

Scribble Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Yeah Motorola has one of the largest portfolios of patents for mobile devices out there.

I don't put too much stock in Google not interfering though. They can't outright say they're going to start making phones... That would only lend fuel to anti-competitive arguments against the acquisition.

8. bluezdawg

bluezdawg Member

Ratings:
    +11
    Actually, the acquisition is not complete, but it was announced today that major hurdles in moving forward were cleared today (see article)
    http://searchenginewatch.com/article/2152446/Google-Motorola-Acquisition-Approved-in-U.S.-EU

With that said, Google will need to be careful about how they push ICS to the multiple vendors they support, so I would not expect that they will give Motorola any real edge or they will piss off a whole bunch of folks that they count on for their livelihood :happy3:
    (Flip-side though... don't forget that Android Central mentioned that Motorola got ICS for the Bionic back in December as I recall.)
    I'm still thinking around May/June, but I'd like to be proved wrong :biggrin:

#32 bluezdawg, Feb 14, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  9. sargentmajord

sargentmajord Silver Member

Ratings:
    +16
    is googles purchase of moto really going to cause antitrust laws to be violated (aka monopoly) in the cell phone market/OS market i understand the patent problem but there main concern is the antitrust laws being violated i didnt think android was that widely used

10. BroidDrionic

BroidDrionic Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Since they own Motorola now, I highly expect that the next nexus phone will be manufactured by anyone other than Motorola and Google. This implies that, just like with samsung and google and the galaxy nexus are now with android 4.0, android 5.0 will debut on a motorola/google partnership phone!

11. silvrbullt1

silvrbullt1 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Google has the approval from the United States to buy Motorola Mobility just today, they still have China, Israel, Taiwan to OK it before it goes down.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Search tags for this page

droid 3 ics release