Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69

ics-6-weeks.jpg

According to Motorola’s official Twitter account, Motorola plans to either start releasing Ice Cream Sandwich to devices just 6 weeks after Google makes it available, or they are ready to drop new ICS phones on us in that amount of time. The message is a a bit cryptic, but we are assuming they mean that Motorola's current lineup of phones will receive Android 4.0 six weeks from the time Google makes it available.

Talk about a quick turn-around.

Does anyone else get the feeling that Motorola has some sort of lock-down on the update process? They certainly do it faster than any other phone manufacturer on the planet right now. Remember that they originally had Gingerbread done for all of their devices back in June before realizing that a couple of major bugs needed to be fixed.

We have been told that the RAZR, Bionic and XOOM will get ICS – still no word on the rest of their lineup of phones including the DROID2, Global, Pro, DROIDX, DROIDX2 and DROID3. I would imagine that all of those phones are capable of running it though.​

Via
:BionicForums.Net
Via: Droid-Life.Com

Update: Motorola clarified this tweet, saying they plan to release a 'TIMELINE' of scheduled releases 6 weeks after it's official release. Not the update itself.

gmorgan056

Reaction score
I was just getting ready to submit a tip about this. It's also on their facebook page. They also had a link to their blog stating that they will be unlocking bootloaders for their devices later this year, pending approval by carriers. So unless a miracle happens, our phones won't be unlocked. :frown:

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Which goes to show its not just stock Android phones that get updates fast. The Droid X1 and Droid 2 got GB before other phones with a custom UI in the US and before a phone with stock Android. A few Android myths have been crumbling since last year.

Also....looking at the live demo of ICS....I might get the Prime and the RAZR. I'm set on the RAZR and the Prime...ICS looks that good I might get the Prime just because.

OP
Shadez

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
I was just getting ready to submit a tip about this. It's also on their facebook page. They also had a link to their blog stating that they will be unlocking bootloaders for their devices later this year, pending approval by carriers. So unless a miracle happens, our phones won't be unlocked. :frown:

I heard everywhere but the USA, but it's second hand info.

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
Which goes to show its not just stock Android phones that get updates fast. The Droid X1 and Droid 2 got GB before other phones with a custom UI in the US and before a phone with stock Android. A few Android myths have been crumbling since last year.

Also....looking at the live demo of ICS....I might get the Prime and the RAZR. I'm set on the RAZR and the Prime...ICS looks that good I might get the Prime just because.

JRoc I am with you.. I have my eye on the Prime (Galaxy Nexus) also. The only thing that keeping me from the Razr is no removerable battery. I loved the Demo of ICS last week.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Hope this is true. Gives a possible time estimate for my Xoom:icon_ banana:

Larry Mahnken

Reaction score
According to Droid Life:

We received a clarification on this Tweet from Motorola. They do not plan to have Ice Cream Sandwich on devices 6 weeks after the new OS is released. Instead, they plan to announce a timeline for ICS updates within 6 weeks of Google releasing it. So that means that the DROID RAZR, Bionic and XOOM will be given time lines some time within 6 weeks of the ICS release. That make sense? Don’t expect Android 4.0 by the end of the year – expect Moto to announce when they will have it ready.

jrshelton13

Reaction score

I do remember getting the Froyo and GB on the DX fairly quickly, let's they do the same for the phones that are already released too!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
Moto get an update out in 6 weeks? I knew that wasn't true lol. I don't think any manufacturer gets them done that quickly. That's why I'm getting rid of my D3 in favor of the Galaxy Nexus. It'll be nice to get updates first for once and have an unlocked bootloader.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Devices for ICS means new devices Sorry crapy Bionic you will need to wait longer.

I don't think so. I doubt Moto will release anymore devices this year. So that means the current crop will start getting updates by december. Motos been pretty good with updates, D2 and D2G aside. The only thing I see holding up updates is our good friend VZW.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

jrshelton13

Reaction score
Devices for ICS means new devices Sorry crapy Bionic you will need to wait longer.

I see you on every forum bashing the Bionic, I guess you had one and got caught up in the "I have to have the newest device released" crowd, or you had a few bugs that every new phone has and returned it. I don't know for sure what the problem is but we get it you don't like the Bionic! But just because you don't like it doesn't mean its not getting ICS!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums