A New Pixel 2 XL Display Problem Has Arisen

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
So, you would recommend I trade in the Pixel XL I just received as a replacement for my 6P. Verizon is offering 50% off with the trade, unfortunately it's drawn out over the 24 month payment plan (contract).

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I traded the OG XL and I'd say it's worth it

CTownDroid

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Google Store also has trade in value.. Which model XL do you have now?

Sent using Tapatalk

I just received an XL 128g to replace the 6P I've had since launch with the battery issue.

The XL is nice, but newer should be better. I see The Google store is offering $410 (assuming you get the full value) and that makes the XL 2 very tempting. Just wish there weren't all these negative stories which I'm thinking are exaggerated but....

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
I just received an XL 128g to replace the 6P I've had since launch with the battery issue.

The XL is nice, but newer should be better. I see The Google store is offering $410 (assuming you get the full value) and that makes the XL 2 very tempting. Just wish there weren't all these negative stories which I'm thinking are exaggerated but....

Yeah it's tough bc there are also positive reviews and myself along with others I know have no issues.. Slight blue tint is not even a problem on my phone when shifted..

Sent using Tapatalk

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I would say this pixel 2xl would be a better deal despite my rant.

The blue really is not that bad and I've used my phone all this will work it lying flat on the table.

Though I still stand by Google should not have allowed this phone released like this at that price, I am agreeing with BK the the shifting is not that bad and hardly noticeable at times.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Reactions: cr6

mikealdin

Reaction score
Website
www.smarthomesmaker.com
Twitter
echoalexasupprt
google-pixel-2-xl-smudge-jpg.78039

Problems have plagued the display of the Pixel 2 XL. It started when users realized there was a nasty blue shift on the phone causing pretty nasty viewing angles. Not to long after that people began discovering they were getting some image retention which was so pronounced it seemed more like actual burn in. Now it looks like some Pixel 2 XL users are beginning to experience the shedding of the Oleophobic coating. This makes the screen appear to be permanently smudged.

Here is one user's account:

“Last night, I noticed, after two weeks of use – treating this device as carefully as I do others, going as far as to only clean with a dry t-shirt, having it be the only thing in my pocket at any given time – that there was an incongruent mar over the proximity sensor circle. I thought it was a smudge, but when I tried wiping away, it didn’t go away.

Before I go further, apparently, this VERY SAME ISSUE has been seen by someone else who had a pre-production LG V30 unit in-hand within a week’s time.

It’s like the oleophobic coating was very easily brushed away – somehow – though the phone had not been dropped, scraped, largely sitting in the open, face-up – for these entire two weeks.”

Have any of you seen this issue with your device?

via bgr

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
I would say this pixel 2xl would be a better deal despite my rant.

The blue really is not that bad and I've used my phone all this will work it lying flat on the table.

Though I still stand by Google should not have allowed this phone released like this at that price, I am agreeing with BK the the shifting is not that bad and hardly noticeable at times.

do you think you would have noticed it if you did not know about it in advanced?

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
do you think you would have noticed it if you did not know about it in advanced?
Interesting question. I have on video where all my phones (nexus 6, Nexus 6p and pixel 2xl) are lying flat and the one on video with the tint looking blue is the Nexus 6p.

But I think a lot of me even noticing is because it was pointed out. Beforehand when I played with it in Verizon holding it I didn't leave thinking about the blue tint. I guess it's like a scratch in an area on your car that no one else notices but once you see it and point it out it becomes an eye sore.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
They should not of went with LG. They should of stayed with HTC for the XL2.

The reason they went with LG was because there was such an uproar for them to give LG another shot. Outside of this LG has had an impressive run with the Nexus line. I still have my Nexus 5 and I'm for one was one who hit that feedback button suggesting it last year. And looking what the HTC version may have become, HTC U11+, I'm glad they went the LG route. I just wish they would have pushed for the Samsung panels.

You take the off axis blue tint out the equation and the Pixel 2 XL is by far the best overall phone out. Because those muted color complaints just got somewhat quieted with the latest update. I'm definitely digging the look as it looks more like a phone in line with the trend vs the large bezels that HTC seems to continue to push on their phones.

To quote a YouTuber (Flossy Carter) "when Apple starts doing...."

The fact even Apple went bezel-less and if Google would've repeated last year and put out another 2 flagship phones looking dated with large bezels I would've been ragging them harder than I am about the color shift. So good move by Google going LG, bad move allowing LG to continue on going with their panels after they saw the blue color shift during pre-production.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score

That's what I forgot.

If you change your display to saturated the blue tint is even less to hardly noticeable at all.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Someday you guys will finally realize that Samsung is where it's at!

(They only explode and/or catch fire occasionally)

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Someday you guys will finally realize that Samsung is where it's at!

(They only explode and/or catch fire occasionally)
And update phones slowly, as well as find ways to lag over time, requiring a steady reboot to clear the cache, regardless of how much hardware gets thrown at it. All because Samsung feels their TouchWiz software is so great that the world wouldn't mind the lag if only they could be graced by the opportunity to experience the greatness of TouchWiz.

I'll stick with my blue tint pixel 2xl.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
When you're the best in the business haters gonna hate. It's all good Papa Smurf, I'll give you points for trying.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Only thing I'm hating is TouchWiz and slow updates. Fix that and maybe I'll give Samsung another look.

But I do applaud Samsung for making a note phone this year that didn't double as a hot dog cooker.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk