A couple questions on Safestrap, quick help needed

PbSandman7

Reaction score
I have safestrap up and running on my bionic, I went through the steps on making a backup. All is pretty simple, a lot easier than I originally thought it would be. Upon the backup, it asks if you want to include webtop..? I clicked yes because I didn't want to exclude anything in my backup but honestly I am not sure what it is or contains. Should I have clicked No?

I plan on flashing a TH3ORY rom, most likely the newest design but want to make sure my backup is complete before doing so of course.

This may be a dumb question, but I went through the safestrap menu and I can't figure out how to enable safe mode? I assume needs to be enabled prior to flashing a ROM so my backup will be accessible?

Reaction score
I have safestrap up and running on my bionic, I went through the steps on making a backup. All is pretty simple, a lot easier than I originally thought it would be. Upon the backup, it asks if you want to include webtop..? I clicked yes because I didn't want to exclude anything in my backup but honestly I am not sure what it is or contains. Should I have clicked No?

I plan on flashing a TH3ORY rom, most likely the newest design but want to make sure my backup is complete before doing so of course.

This may be a dumb question, but I went through the safestrap menu and I can't figure out how to enable safe mode? I assume needs to be enabled prior to flashing a ROM so my backup will be accessible?

I don't know what the difference is with the webtop either but rest assured I always click yes when backing up and I have been flashing like crazy with safestrap. You are safe.

As for getting into safe mode, on the first screen of recovery, choose safestrap menu (or options...I can't recall off hand)....then on the next screen choose the first option to toggle safe mode. Let it do its thing and you will be in safe mode. Then if you ever want to get back to your stock, just go into that same menu and toggle back to non-safe.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

OP
P

PbSandman7

Reaction score
Do you toggle to safe mode first before wiping data/cache..etc prior to a ROM flash?
Thanks for the response

Reaction score
Do you toggle to safe mode first before wiping data/cache..etc prior to a ROM flash?
Thanks for the response

After backing up your stock in non safe, toggle to safe mode, wipe data, wipe cache, go into mount and format system, then go into advanced on the first screen and wipe dalvik, proceed to flash after all this is done. Those are the directions from koush so I follow them exactly and never any issues.

Concistency

Reaction score
Weptop is for docking your device, enlarging the screen, I believe their called lapdocks, not positive, never used one. Plug your device in the back normally and use it like a laptop.

OP
P

PbSandman7

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses guys. Testing out a new ROM seems fairly straight forward. Although once the ROM is installed and setup, what is the correct method to flash a UI or any add-on to the ROM. Do you put it on the external SD and simply open/install it while in the ROM or Do you get back into the menu of safestrap on the splashscreen and flash the .zip from there?
Hopefully I will have all of this figured out just in time for the TH3ORY rom links to be up and active yet on the new server :D

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You go back to safestrap and flash it there, like the ROM, just no wiping.

Concistency

Reaction score
Like honescr3am should require no wipe, if your flashing one of the th3ory pax, then it's wipe cache and dalvik.

mr4r4n

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Had any one else noticed the webtop bug when using it?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

dmdubois

Reaction score
Since safestrap allows for 2 ROMs (safe and unsafe), any tips for if I wanted to replace my safe rom (say THEORY) with another? Would the process be the same (boot into stock or unsafe), reboot, wipe/system format, load new rom into safe version and boot up?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Since safestrap allows for 2 ROMs (safe and unsafe), any tips for if I wanted to replace my safe rom (say THEORY) with another? Would the process be the same (boot into stock or unsafe), reboot, wipe/system format, load new rom into safe version and boot up?

Thanks!

I have stock on my non safe and Th3ory RAZRx on my safe side for my daily use. When I wanted to check out a different Rom, I simply reboot and when the safestrap menu comes up, I back up the safe rom (just in case I want to come back to it as is) then wipe data, wipe cache, format system, wipe dalvik, then flash new Rom . I don't know if all that is needed but I do it just to be sure and it works like a charm. Then if I don't like that rom, i just go back into safestrap and restore the backup I made. No need to ever go into your nonsafe (stock) Rom .

hisself

Reaction score
Had any one else noticed the webtop bug when using it?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Yes, I found it last night! I finally got Kin3tx up and running around 11 PM, and when I went to bed and hooked it to my lapdock, it rebooted and never did do anything.

Anybody got a cure?? I need my lapdock! :frown:

blwn327

Reaction score
I made 2 backups now, when I goto astro where are the backup files? After I did safestrap backups I went to verify and they are both there. I thought they would overwrite but don't and I wanna delete the 1st backup. Thanx

Sent from my 43v3r ROOTED BADASS BIONIC!

Reaction score
I made 2 backups now, when I goto astro where are the backup files? After I did safestrap backups I went to verify and they are both there. I thought they would overwrite but don't and I wanna delete the 1st backup. Thanx

Sent from my 43v3r ROOTED BADASS BIONIC!

It depends where you chose to backup. I always choose external so they are keep in sdcard-ext/safestrap/backup

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using DroidForums

bladewriter

Reaction score
Weptop is for docking your device, enlarging the screen, I believe their called lapdocks, not positive, never used one. Plug your device in the back normally and use it like a laptop.

Exactly right. Webtop is basically a separate version of linux running with Android for using the webtop adapter and lapdock and other peripherals. It is stored in the /osh partition. I've been using Safestrap because I like the option of getting to a CWM-like recovery menu before the full boot (unlike Bionic Bootstrap where you have to enter recovery after booting up). I think that if you ever munge up your phone and want to go back to full stock, or need to go back to stock to take an official update, you must restore /osh too. So this means saying "yes" when Safestrap asks to backup webtop (takes a lot of space though). And as someone said, best to have a copy on the sdcard-ext so you can pull it out if needed. (Side note: what I'd really like to do is port the Razr webtop to Bionic to make use of all the Lapdock 500 features like webcam.)