6.12.181 update appears to break WIFI and cause random phone reboots

siegeld

Reaction score
About a week ago I installed the 6.12.181 OTA update. Shortly after, my Razr MAXX started to have wifi problems and reboot randomly. I figured it was a hardware issue as I didn't connect these failures to the update. Verizon sent a new phone, which I updated to 6.12.181, and I then reinstalled all my apps. Presto, the wifi problems returned, along with the random reboots. This time I did a factory reset on the new phone, and no luck, wifi remains dead. Perhaps one of my 166 apps is triggering the issue - I'm guessing maybe the "byefi" app. Still, it is troubling that the factory reset doesn't undo the damage. Verizon is sending me another new phone and I plan this time to not apply the 6.12.181 update and reinstall all the apps. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that everything works and I can localize the problem to the update. This trial and error process of tracking the issue down in very painful, made even worse because the factory reset doesn't seem to do a full reset.

Wondering if anyone else has experienced this sort of issue with the update?

Thach

Reaction score
I've had the update for a while now and have not had any of the issues that you speak of. If you have had it with 2 different phones, it almost leads me to think that it has to be a app that you are installing. After the factory reset, did you install all the apps again and then have the issue arise? Or did the issue come back before installing the apps?

OP
S

siegeld

Reaction score
I've had the update for a while now and have not had any of the issues that you speak of. If you have had it with 2 different phones, it almost leads me to think that it has to be a app that you are installing. After the factory reset, did you install all the apps again and then have the issue arise? Or did the issue come back before installing the apps?

I didn't install any apps after the reset and the problem persisted. I do suspect that an app triggered the problem in the first place - perhaps the "byefi" app, which was one of the last ones I installed before the first phone was impacted. I do find it strange that the factory reset doesn't do a complete reset. It's also odd that an app, even when uninstalled, can leave the operating system damaged. Note that my phone is not rooted - it's really very stock aside from the 166 installed apps.

Thach

Reaction score
I guess something else that you can try is to copy all the contents of your ext-sdcard and internal sdcard to your computer then try another factory reset, this time wiping the sdcards. Thats if you have not tired this already. There may be a folder that was created by the app that still has some sort of impact on your phone. Me personally, when I know I am going to do a factory reset I will do this. That way I know there is nothing on the phone at all and its like it was when I got it out of the box.

modma

Reaction score
My Hotspot and 4G reliability broke after .181 update

While Mobile Hotspot will CONNECT to the computer without trouble, after a few minutes, I'm no longer able to access websites even though the Hotspot still remains connected. In addition, my phone goes to 3G often at home which it never used to. I use Mobile Hotspot religiously. Is there a way to return to the old software?

Thanks!