5.8.894 update rocks

Status
Not open for further replies.

kennydied23

Reaction score
Trust me when i tell you gooooood things r in store for bionic users. The ota is sounding awesome.. we got overclocking.. 2nd init... and i heard a certain someone of sbf fame is about to come out with a work around so we get all the good things and accessibility that the dx has.. ( oc. Cm7/9.. ics before official drops) stay tuned :)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Source?

Tonik

Reaction score
From his original post it sounds like he made of a story to verizon to convince them to replace his phone with another.

Drat, I was hoping he found the magic bullet to get to 894 from previous leaked versions. :biggrin:

TOMMYBOT

Reaction score
I have a stock phone have only done up dates that my phone told me too(I follow the machine). Do I just click the link dl and install or should I wait for the one for the masses to come out? (Off to work be back in 10 hours type for the future answers)
Tommy

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Tonik

Reaction score
....or should I wait for the one for the masses to come out?

Since we are most probably only a couple of weeks away from the official update I would wait if I were you. The only way I would do it now if I were you is if I were having major problems that made the phone unusable. If you can ride it out and wait that is what you should do, imho.

wseyller

Reaction score
I don't think it is even known that 5.8.894 is going to be the version that is officially release. For all anyone knows people on 5.8.894 will be just as stuck off the official upgrade path as the others on 5.7.893. Or maybe the official OTA will allow installation even if our kernels are different.

twistedlim

Reaction score
I just updated to 5.8.894 an it is incredible the camera is flawless and the data so far has not even hiccuped. The battery life is twice as long as the 5.7.893...

2x the battery? Sorry but that is total BS and not even possible.

wseyller

Reaction score
My battery life while on 5.7.893 is really good in my opinion. And I'm a really heavy user. So to see 2x doesn't seem plausible.

ex0rcist

Reaction score
2x the battery? Sorry but that is total BS and not even possible.

Troll elsewhere. Hes saying its better just go with that. Geez cant u guys ever get good news and NOT nitpick question every fu**ing aspect of it?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

twistedlim

Reaction score
You should look at the OP for the troll. He said 2x so that is what I am assuming he meant. No trolling here. I am currently at 34% and 17 hours (about half of that on wifi) on 593. Is he telling me I can get 34 hours out of 34%? ...or 2/3 that, or 1/2 that? Everyone wants to exaggerate how great the latest and greatest is, but it helps nobody. We are all left aksing why our poor phone don't perform as well.

Tonik

Reaction score
Or maybe the official OTA will allow installation even if our kernels are different.

The OTA will work fine no matter what version we are on, imho. Moto has kinda messed the Bionic's roll out...too soon or not enough testing and too slow on the fixes. But they are not stupid. They know lots of folks have these updates, I even suspect that the leaks were some what allowed so they could get lots of extra testing. Heck, they were being grabbed from Moto's servers by tons of people, they were not even 'leaks' they were just sitting there for anyone that wanted them. Moto could have stopped that in a heartbeat if they wanted to. Keep in mind that the soak test when it comes out will only go to people that are officially signed up. If Moto can target and control that update they could certainly have done so with these early updates if they wanted to.

Also, there is a thread floating around (I think here) where a guy called moto support about problems. The tech figured out he was on a leaked 793 update and said 'Don't worry about it, the OTA will work fine for you when it comes out'.

I don't think 894 is an official release, soak testing has not started. When that starts we will know what the official release is. It will be the soak test version.

bigtex52

Reaction score
You should look at the OP for the troll. He said 2x so that is what I am assuming he meant. No trolling here. I am currently at 34% and 17 hours (about half of that on wifi) on 593. Is he telling me I can get 34 hours out of 34%? ...or 2/3 that, or 1/2 that? Everyone wants to exaggerate how great the latest and greatest is, but it helps nobody. We are all left aksing why our poor phone don't perform as well.

On these forums, you need to read between the lines, make some assumptions and don't take everything as literal. With all users being different, read "Your Mileage May Vary" into everything you read. 'Nuff said. Stay on topic.

Reaction score
I hope I can update to this, i like the custom rom's but until the bootloader is unlocked I think that stock is the way to go. If that ever happens then we will see some serious battery life.

" But WHY THE RUM?"

rghurtle

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I've got a new phone on the way.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

BleedingEdge

Reaction score
5.8.894 works pretty smoothly, but second what sargentmajord says - you have to be STOCK. Even the deodexed stock ROM failed for me. Used dhacker 29's routine to restore to original, root and 4ever root. I also saw a post saying to use OTA RootKeeper with '8.894 if you want to stay rooted after the update. I had googled 5.8.894 OTA and spent some time sifting through various posts before jumping in and saw a reference to RootKeeper. I honestly can't say RootKeeper made any difference as I have had no prior experience with that app, but it's free, and I am still rooted after all is said and done.

Reaction score
If this fixes the SD card issue and the signal issue I'm game to go back to stock. I tried some of the leaks which fixed the signal issue but the SD card issue is what kept me from going back to stock even though the custom rom's had the issue as well.

" But WHY THE RUM?"

Status
Not open for further replies.