4G question

helron

Reaction score
Exactly what do the arrows (up/down) under the razr 4g indicator actually signify?? Data going in and Out? At times I see both up and down arrows turning blue. At other times I see up arrow lit, and/or down arrow lit. Can't find any info in manual. Thx.

makilavelli

Reaction score
Hi helron,

So what's going on is what's called the "uplink" and "downlink" of cellular communication. Uplink = phone to tower; Downlink = tower to phone. It's a big process, but, in a nutshell....cellular panels on cell towers broadcast network parameters out to users via the down link. These parameters assist the phones in choosing a sufficient channel for comms and also call/data setup/tear down.

So...based off the broadcasted info, when the phone sees a channel it likes it sends up a request for access to the network via the uplink. The network responds on the downlink by asking the user to identify itself, in turn launching a challenge/password process which either allows or denies access.

There is a lot more that goes into it, but that is basically what is happening with the arrows. Hope that helps :)

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Ditto helron, I agree. Makilavelli, you just have the must useful, easiest to understand and best explanation I have heard describing that process and what those blue arrows really mean. Thanks! :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I also had it explained to me that when the 4g (or 3g) and the arrows are white, that means connected to the internet. When they are blue, that means they are connected to the internet and Google servers. :)

makilavelli

Reaction score
Thanks everyone :) The network can be a tricky place and every time I think I have it figured out I learn something new. Matty is right about the data connections and I did some digging to at least find another thread where this is thoroughly discussed. It's pasted below. Take care ya'all!

https://forums.motorola.com/posts/4fa13f1354

OP
H

helron

Reaction score
Hi helron,

So what's going on is what's called the "uplink" and "downlink" of cellular communication. Uplink = phone to tower; Downlink = tower to phone. It's a big process, but, in a nutshell....cellular panels on cell towers broadcast network parameters out to users via the down link. These parameters assist the phones in choosing a sufficient channel for comms and also call/data setup/tear down.

So...based off the broadcasted info, when the phone sees a channel it likes it sends up a request for access to the network via the uplink. The network responds on the downlink by asking the user to identify itself, in turn launching a challenge/password process which either allows or denies access.

There is a lot more that goes into it, but that is basically what is happening with the arrows. Hope that helps :)
--------------------------------------------------------
Thanks for your quick response! So, can I then assume that if no arrorws appear (white or blue) then I won't have a data connection? if I am in NYC-a great 4G area-why is there no arrow movement?
Again any help-all help appreciated! I really appreciate this orum and all the good help posted!!!!

makilavelli

Reaction score
No problem, helron! I'm definitely not the expert, but I know enough to be dangerous...lol! To answer your 4G question...In my experience, when i get no arrow activity I can observe that I also am unable to push/receive data, however, can you give me more info as to what your experiencing?:

1. Are you saying you are in a great 4G area (NYC), with functioning 4G service and no arrow activity? Or are you saying you are in a great 4G area with the inability do anything? Just want to make sure I'm understanding.

2. Is the problem isolated to 4G? How's your 3G?

3. Have you been able to observe this same problem on a friend's phone using the same service provider?

4. Have you had this problem all over the city? Have you had stable connection in any one particular location?

Sorry for all the questions! One thing to keep in mind is that even a major city, with a huge infrastructure in place, can also be a "gigantic" detriment to cellular data due to the interference/propagation that exists. Remember, cellular comms rely on line of site from transmitter to receiver.

Reflection, diffraction, attenuation, and multipath of signals can result in what I like to call "RF voodoo" :). Not only do they mess with your signal presently, but an area that normally works well one day, could be a pain in the a** the next ;)

Anyways, I'm glad you're enjoying the board. There are a lot of smart people with great stuff to share and I frequent it constantly to troubleshoot problems I run into while I'm out and about. Like I said, I don't claim to be an expert by any means, but myself, as well as the rest will do our very best to help each other out :)

OP
H

helron

Reaction score
No problem, helron! I'm definitely not the expert, but I know enough to be dangerous...lol! To answer your 4G question...In my experience, when i get no arrow activity I can observe that I also am unable to push/receive data, however, can you give me more info as to what your experiencing?:

1. Are you saying you are in a great 4G area (NYC), with functioning 4G service and no arrow activity? YES Or are you saying you are in a great 4G area with the inability do anything? NO. Just want to make sure I'm understanding.

2. Is the problem isolated to 4G? How's your 3G? IT IS A BIT WORSE WITH 4G.

3. Have you been able to observe this same problem on a friend's phone using the same service provider? IT DIFFERS AT TIMES. 2 MOTO RAZRS IN Y HOME. EXPERIENCE DIFFERENT ISSUES AT DIFFERENT TIMES. WEIRD

4. Have you had this problem all over the city? Have you had stable connection in any one particular location? SPORADIC

Thanks for such a great response. My responses are in CAPS above. I've since turned off all Moto Smartaction battery saver rules, except for the late night turn off. All seems to be working a bit better.