Data arrows no longer work

busab

Reaction score
I noticed today that my up and down data arrows no longer light up. I've tried rebooting and it hasn't fixed the problem. I'm able to access data fine it just doesn't show up as doing anything. Any ideas?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I noticed today that my up and down data arrows no longer light up. I've tried rebooting and it hasn't fixed the problem. I'm able to access data fine it just doesn't show up as doing anything. Any ideas?

That's interesting. The data arrows are tied to the communication process and since it's a display rather than a light, it is almost assuredly NOT the display at fault. It is probably either a program fault (either an OS or user-installed program), or potentially a communication failure between the components that report the data flow and those that then represent that as the up/down arrows.

Frankly, if it were my phone I wouldn't worry about it myself, but I would suggest you try the following, when all else fails, the thing you'll most likely be told to do by Verizon is a hard reset. If the problem goes away after a hard reset, then it was either a damaged file in NV Ram or an app that was installed which caused the failure. Corrupted data is not all that uncommon and can be attributed to things such as static electricity (a common problem in the winter season), or RF interference during a ROM install, hard reset or update.

OP
busab

busab

Reaction score
Doing a hard reset fixed it. Thanks for the tip! I honestly didn't think doing that was any different than rebooting it. Guess I was wrong.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Doing a hard reset fixed it. Thanks for the tip! I honestly didn't think doing that was any different than rebooting it. Guess I was wrong.

That's great. That confirms my suspicion that it was a corrupted system-level software process. The FLASH ROM (Read Only Memory) contains a complete copy of all the processes and apps necessary to build the phone, so when you hard-reset, it dumped the copy that was in NV RAM (Random Access Memory) and simply copied new clean versions back into FLASH ROM. Reboot and you're back to factory specs.

Good news.

JP 5.56

Reaction score
Am I missing something? What are data arrows?

Edit: NM I see what you're talking about. Never looked that closely. lol

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Am I missing something? What are data arrows?

Edit: NM I see what you're talking about. Never looked that closely. lol

Hehe, yeah I can see where some might not know what we're referring to. In the status bar at the top of the phone where it typically shows the signal strength meter and either 3G or 4G LTE, just below the 3G/4G there are two tiny arrows. One points up (that's data going out to the web), and the other down (that's data coming in). These arrows "light up" when the cellular radio is either sending or receiving data.;)

They typically alternate from I believe Gray with no data, to Blue when data is being communicated, so people will be able to know if the data connection is active or stalled. If there are no arrows (as was the OP's case), the only way to know if data is being transmitted or received is if the web page is updating. Sometimes, only one will "light up", then the other, and sometimes they'll both respond at the same time to show data is moving in both directions simultaneously.

Last edited: