4G Coverage

kb3awq

Reaction score
I had sent Verizon an email for the heck of it to see if they could give a time frame of 4G coverage in my area (Williamsport, PA). They said they are unable to say. So that adds to the question.. Do they really know or is some big secret. I would think they would have some sort of a plan on what they are doing and when.

pinoy_92

Reaction score
4G LTE Network | Verizon Wireless

it doesnt really tell you much but from looking at that most of their 4g services are on the east side of the US, so if your in the east coast you might get 4g sometime this year. i personally went to the verizon store in my area and asked them about when we are getting 4g. they told me MAYBE mid-year. i also live in the east.

furbymac

Reaction score
They don't want to give u a day because if something happens and it doesn't come by then they don't won't to be held liable. Same reason they don't hand out release dates for phones

Kimo91

Reaction score
They don't want to give u a day because if something happens and it doesn't come by then they don't won't to be held liable. Same reason they don't hand out release dates for phones

+1 totally agree

Sent from my Rooted and Safestrapped Moto DROID RAZR

OP
K

kb3awq

Reaction score
Yeah I just figured a time frame, I know dates are always subject to change but that happens. At least a time frame lowers people blood pressure:biggrin:

TheSwaggeR

Reaction score
I live in Williamsport too. We are getting 4g by the end of June or beginning of July. I can confirm this by multiple sources and the fact that they have been taking equipments up on top of the Genetti Hotel in downtown Williamsport. They are currently working on it still. Just keep checking your 4g signal each week.

OP
K

kb3awq

Reaction score
Oh OK cool. First time Ive seen anyone on here from the area. I wonder how many others are in the Williamsport area.. Anyways. OK thats good to know that they are working on it although I dont know how far they are with other sites locally. I know what most of the towers are locally and whats on them of course some are shared by other carriers. There are a few Verizon sites in Williamsport. I always wondered what exactly is on top of the Genetti, I know some cell stuff, some Govt stuff and the old City Police base (156.450) used to be up there what they used before their 1990 800 MHz system and of course back to 154 in April 2001

TheSwaggeR

Reaction score
Oh OK cool. First time Ive seen anyone on here from the area. I wonder how many others are in the Williamsport area.. Anyways. OK thats good to know that they are working on it although I dont know how far they are with other sites locally. I know what most of the towers are locally and whats on them of course some are shared by other carriers. There are a few Verizon sites in Williamsport. I always wondered what exactly is on top of the Genetti, I know some cell stuff, some Govt stuff and the old City Police base (156.450) used to be up there what they used before their 1990 800 MHz system and of course back to 154 in April 2001

I'm not sure. We may be the only 2 from here on this site. You are correct that they use the tower and equipments on top of the Genetti for multiple purposes. I had been trying to find info on any plans that williamsport would get 4g. Been searching for about 4 months. I finally got reliable info and proof just 2 weeks ago. Typically on clear.com or through Verizon they would have some kind of info but they didn't. It just came out of nowhere. I'm not even sure anybody, with a 4g capable phone, will know that williamsport will have 4g coverage shortly. Poor advertisement if you ask me. If you want to sell phones and services then you should let people know and more customers will come.

As far as other local towers... I'm not sure. I got an app called Sensorly app in the play store and its suppose to tell you everything you want to know including location of the next tower. I don't see that on there. I do see the nearest 4g coverage is to the west of us in Lock Haven mostly along the highway.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

OP
K

kb3awq

Reaction score
Oh OK. Yeah Ive tried a lot of the cell tower locator apps but Ive never seen accuracy around here. I used to have a list of what everything was around although some have been added and some have changed like say Nextel and Sprint. Verizon has a tower behind Stevens school and on the water tower by the Faxon exit as you said the Genetti. The tower along 180 by Indian Park, down just past the mall (Pennsdale exit). Im not positive to the west but to the north they have one right behind the Cogan Station Post Office, the tower that can be seen from the at the 14/15 and I think they added one up by the Turkey Ranch.

ATT has the one on Arch Street by the Hiawatha and Sprint is on there to. ATT has something up at the water tower at the top of Round Hill Road

Nextel whether they still do or not since Sprint came along but they had many around here. They had up at the 14/15 split, the tower just south of Powys along the highway, the tower above Heshbon on Bucks Road, Wahoo Drive, The Sovereign Bank I think it was down town, Divine Prov Hospital, Cemetery Hill in Montgomery, the Adult Book store tower, the same ones as Verizon heading to the mall I think they had something on Jordan St in Montoursville also.

Just to name a few off the top of my head. How did you find out? Do you work at the hotel or know someone who frequents there or other sources?

bellysnana

Reaction score
I live in Williamsport and glad to hear 4g is coming soon...so now there are 3 in here from billtown :)

bellysnana

Reaction score
unlimited dataUn

on my family plan we were grandfathered in under the unlimited data for cell,,,,I heard they changed that policy,,does anyone know? My son in law is ready to upgrade and has not done it thinking he will lose unlimited....

OP
K

kb3awq

Reaction score
on my family plan we were grandfathered in under the unlimited data for cell,,,,I heard they changed that policy,,does anyone know? My son in law is ready to upgrade and has not done it thinking he will lose unlimited....

There was rumor of that about losing unlimited which it may over time but the last I seen they wasnt going to do that. I believe I seen they were going to make the new plans available starting June 28th I think it was. Sounded to me like it was unlimited talk and text and shared data. Currently Im just a single line for my Razr which would be $100 a month but its $82 with my 18% work discount. There was a little calculator thing on Verizons site to see what the cost would be for that new plan and it would be like $130 and I think with 2 smartphones it was like $160 or something which is probably about what it is now but that probably doesnt include discounts or taxes. You get the mobile hotspot also which you can do that with an app for free (which it should be free anyway since you are paying for the internet anyway, if you choose to tether to your laptop or whatever so be it. Its like they charge people twice but I guess they must have realized that people have figured that out now and decided to include it.) What I think it also funny is they just sent a terms of service change the other day which probably everyone got but its kinda like hey Im signed in a contract, who are they to change anything without me being OK with the agreement. I dont remember what it even was about but nothing that important I didnt think. Its not like I can walk in there changing things.