Can I still use the TB in a non 4G area?

SpikeJones

Reaction score
Is it possible for me to use the TB in a place that doesn't have verizon's LTE network yet?

And also, because I don't live in an area with 4G capabilities, whcih plan would I need to get? A 4G or 3G?

Lastly, when I go to a place that does have 4G coverage, would I be stuck using 3G or could I get 4G? Does it depend on the plan I get?

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Is it possible for me to use the TB in a place that doesn't have verizon's LTE network yet?

And also, because I don't live in an area with 4G capabilities, whcih plan would I need to get? A 4G or 3G?

Lastly, when I go to a place that does have 4G coverage, would I be stuck using 3G or could I get 4G? Does it depend on the plan I get?

All LTE phone will step down to 3g when LTE is not availible.

You will probably have to get a 4g data plan as its a 4g phone.

And that answeres your third question as well.

Sent from somewhere...

Porterhouse0

Reaction score
as of right now...Verizons LTE service does not have an extra charge :)

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
r u sure about that??

but anyways...in order to use 4g, they have added a sim card slot which then they would give u a sim card with 4g once u have purchased a 4g data plan

Porterhouse0

Reaction score
I am a sales rep at verizon and we haven't had any word on extra charges for LTE. You're correct about the sim card for LTE...but it will come with the phone at purchase whether you are in a 4G area or not

r u sure about that??

but anyways...in order to use 4g, they have added a sim card slot which then they would give u a sim card with 4g once u have purchased a 4g data plan

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
L
I am a sales rep at verizon and we haven't had any word on extra charges for LTE. You're correct about the sim card for LTE...but it will come with the phone at purchase whether you are in a 4G area or not

r u sure about that??

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App
I see...thanks for clearing that up :)...and its great there's no charge for 4g as of right now...

Sent from my DROID2

Reaction score

Yes. The Thunderbolt will be "backwards compatible" with the 3G network (ie. if you are not in an area that has 4G, or go back and forth from an area that does and does not, it will automatically revert back to 3G). You will likely need to get a 4G plan on this phone, but the rumor right now is that there will be no extra charge, at least initially (though they might raise the price or change the billing structure once LTE becomes more widespread). Also, in order to use this phone as a phone, the LTE simcard must be inserted.