4G LTE Coverage Comparison Maps Between Verizon and AT&T

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
4G_lte.png

4G LTE Coverage Comparison​

If you are trying to compare 4G coverage between Verizon and AT&T, then these maps might come in handy. As you can see from the map above Verizon, unsurprisingly, has a vast and dominating position of LTE service over AT&T. However, if you compare AT&T's 4G HSPA+ to Verizon's 4G LTE, (using the map below) then AT&T has a larger coverage. Of course, even T-Mobile, Sprint and AT&T themselves are eventually moving to LTE, because HSPA+ is really more like 3.5G, rather than full 4G. It's still interesting to see the range of coverage in a graphical representation.

4g_hspa_plus.png

4G HSPA+ Coverage Comparison​

Regardless of the speed of their respective roll-outs, it certainly seems like there is a lot more of the country left to cover. How many of you guys live in any of the gigantic "no 4G" areas?

Source: PhoneArena

Str8Aro

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3
" How many of you guys live in any of the gigantic "no 4G" areas?"

Here (hand raised)! I am on Verizon and we only have Boise with 4G. I travel occasionally for work and have used my GN on 4G and have been very happy with it. I was in a corporate store in town last week for my wife's phone and asked (again) if there was any progress report for our area getting 4G. The tech who worked on the phone said they had five sites in and started testing. Man, I hope they get them turned on soon - I like the speed ;)

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm in Wisconsin just about 10 miles north of the LTE coverage, and that might be even more frustrating, knowing they probably stopped just a few towers short of getting this are covered. :mad:

N4UPD

Reaction score
I live between 2 cities that has 4g and it is probably about 20 miles North and south of me but not here. So if either Birmingham or Montgomery expands coverage I might get in.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using DroidForums

blacksoxing

Reaction score
I live on the coast of MS. Basically Gulfport (for those who know about the MS Coast)

Verizon customer

Let's see....

New Orleans has LTE, and it goes all the way into half of Slidell, LA. So I'm off by about 50 miles that way
Mobile has LTE, and it goes all the way into about Theodore, AL, so I'm about 50 miles off that way!

Now, MS Coast = about 200k residents being bypassed

ALSO, Hattiesburg (USM) & Jackson (State capital/biggest city) doesn't have it. Yet....Columbus, MS has it (Ole Miss/MSU are near Columbus if ya don't know....)

So I'm shaking my head at Verizon. Doesn't make sense! Yet, I remember how just a few years ago Verizon = ROAMING in almost of ALL of MS! They really just put their 3G put (I think they made an agreement w/Cellular South)

huskur

Reaction score
I live on the coast of MS. Basically Gulfport (for those who know about the MS Coast)

Verizon customer

Let's see....

New Orleans has LTE, and it goes all the way into half of Slidell, LA. So I'm off by about 50 miles that way
Mobile has LTE, and it goes all the way into about Theodore, AL, so I'm about 50 miles off that way!

Now, MS Coast = about 200k residents being bypassed

ALSO, Hattiesburg (USM) & Jackson (State capital/biggest city) doesn't have it. Yet....Columbus, MS has it (Ole Miss/MSU are near Columbus if ya don't know....)

So I'm shaking my head at Verizon. Doesn't make sense! Yet, I remember how just a few years ago Verizon = ROAMING in almost of ALL of MS! They really just put their 3G put (I think they made an agreement w/Cellular South)

I feel your pain. 18 miles north of me has 4G and 18 miles south of me has 4G. What gives? Yet, the town to the north of me is only 2K people and my town is 12K people and is the largest town in our county.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I'm in central CA and my wife's TBolt has 4G coverage, but it sucks. Its fastest I've seen is 5mb but rarely does it get there. Upload also seems pretty bad. It loves to hand and has a huge latency. I laugh when my 3G DroidX is faster on the network than her TBolt is when it has 4G coverage.

Andielyn

Reaction score
No 4G here

I am in between the dots in Ohio but still bought a 4G phone. Was on the road this weekend through a few 4G areas and was actually surprised at how far outside the metro areas the 4G reaches. I can only hope it will get to my area before my phone is outdated. ;)

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
im like 20-30 miles from an LTE city (youngstown), no lte here though (must be a small coverage area) One verizon rep I talked to said it would be expanded to where i live next month, another said we'd have it by june...so hopefully i see it soon (especially since i'll be getting my gnex in a few weeks) :biggrin:

CJLee89

Reaction score
I live in Marion, Ohio..some of ther outer edges towards the south have an awesome 4G signal (I am not sure where the tower would be located; I don't think Delaware has 4G) I live in the northern part of the county and about 15 minutes North is also 4G in Upper Sandusky (Wyandot County). I am just surprised the majority of Marion does not have 4G since Upper Sandusky has a much smaller population than Marion; Marion has about 40,000 more people according to the 2010 census.

It seems to be all around me!! :mad:

bazar6

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.imbazar.me
I hate AT&T's "4G" marketing gimmick. IMO it shouldn't even be compared to VZW's 4G LTE because it's exactly what you said it's more like 3.5G since all they did was increase the bandwidth/download speed, they did nothing to LTEvolve their system when it rolled out. If it actually got more subscribers, then congrats on the successful marketing; VZW lost out on that because no one defined specifically what "4G" meant except the just that, a fourth generation of increased speed.

But yea, I'm in LTE at work (just south of DC) and I barely get 3G at home, 2 bars max, so it'll probably be 2013 when it gets there (and we've had the other carriers at home too, AT&T and Sprint both had 0 bars of service).

dl1762

Reaction score
No 4g In suffolk county
On long island. More people live here than prob most states with 4g. It's very frustrating that 30 miles away is 4g .
Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
That shows HSPA+ should be in my area.. yet, none of my friends are able to connect to it.

VirtualCLD

Reaction score
On a side note, I love how AT&T's "4G" is in quotes on the screenshot of the app. I know it's been said before, but if AT&T's HSPA+ is 3.5G then LTE is 3.8G since even LTE doesn't meet the industry standard for 4G. It's not until we get ATLE that we'll finally have true 4G, but by then they'll probably want to call it "5G."