4G Coverage

stripedmenace

Reaction score
4G In and Out

I guess with me this make 4 from Billtown. This morning about 8 I was on 3G service like usual. When I picked my phone up about 11 it said I had LTE coverage now it's 1:17pm and i'm back to 3G. I guess that's good news.

crashN2u

Reaction score
On verizon, as long as a phone number had unlimited data in the past, it will always have unlimited data available as an option. Even if you remove it, you can always add it back in. Verizon is being slick though with their new plans. If you switch to the new plan, you will lose your grandfathered unlimited data. In addition, if you upgrade the line using the subsidized price, you will lose the unlimited data because you are forced into the new plan via a new contract. The only way to keep it from now on is bringing your own device or paying full price.

crashN2u

Reaction score
kb3awq said:
There was rumor of that about losing unlimited which it may over time but the last I seen they wasnt going to do that. I believe I seen they were going to make the new plans available starting June 28th I think it was. Sounded to me like it was unlimited talk and text and shared data. Currently Im just a single line for my Razr which would be $100 a month but its $82 with my 18% work discount. There was a little calculator thing on Verizons site to see what the cost would be for that new plan and it would be like $130 and I think with 2 smartphones it was like $160 or something which is probably about what it is now but that probably doesnt include discounts or taxes. You get the mobile hotspot also which you can do that with an app for free (which it should be free anyway since you are paying for the internet anyway, if you choose to tether to your laptop or whatever so be it. Its like they charge people twice but I guess they must have realized that people have figured that out now and decided to include it.) What I think it also funny is they just sent a terms of service change the other day which probably everyone got but its kinda like hey Im signed in a contract, who are they to change anything without me being OK with the agreement. I dont remember what it even was about but nothing that important I didnt think. Its not like I can walk in there changing things.

Anytime you are in a contract and the other party wants to modify it you get the ability to opt out. In some cases, if you opt out, you finish your contract as it was originally written. With Verizon, however, I believe you have 30 days to opt out. If you choose to do so, your contract is terminated. You will not have to pay the early termination fee though.

OP
K

kb3awq

Reaction score
I guess with me this make 4 from Billtown. This morning about 8 I was on 3G service like usual. When I picked my phone up about 11 it said I had LTE coverage now it's 1:17pm and i'm back to 3G. I guess that's good news.

Welcome aboard to the local small town clan! That is good news.dancedroid:hail: I was over at the Luzurne county fairgrounds yesterday at the Murgas Hamfest and realized I had 4G there so I tried it out for a couple minutes since it was the first time I ever tried 4G, seemed cool. Was hoping to here something back from the guy who had mentioned about the Genetti in an earlier post. Although several towers are in the area I am not sure what all they have to do to make it 4G. I would think maybe some software and hardware changes but wouldnt think it would be a major thing but would guess they would have to do the same thing at each tower site.

OP
K

kb3awq

Reaction score
As soon as they change a contract it should be void in my opinion cause I didnt sign to agree with it. But yeah I have just a single line right now at least with unlimited text and unlimited data. Been trying to research on what the best deal / best bang for the buck is. Without a discount I guess my plan would be about $100 but is $82 with the 18% work discount. When at home I use my home wifi but when elsewhere normally the network unless I can connect to wifi. I would think I could get by with 2 gig for my phone but a 2nd phone would need 3 or 4 gig. Actually I dont think I have went much over 1 gig but I like some play room as ya just never know. I dont like limits though, Id rather just be unlimited everything as its just easier that way. With the money they make you would think that would be a given even if the issue was their equip cant handle - so upgrade the equip we have to upgrade our phones!!!

TheSwaggeR

Reaction score
Hi guys. Sorry it took me awhile to respond back. Tapatalk app sucks at notifying you of all proper thread responses. Anyways, yes a good friend of mine works at the Genetti hotel. Although he isn't tech savvy in that department I wasn't 100% sure if he was accurate so I had to do some checking around including the local Verizon store by K-Mart to confirm further info on the 4g. So yes it is confirmed and a few buddies of mine did see 4g here in Williamsport on and off the past couple days. They are running tests to make sure things are going to be 100% fully operational and should be turning it all on between now to a week from now. There may be another week delay like seen in other cities as cited by sources elsewhere but I don't think there will be any major delays.

As far as how much 4g coverage will be given... that I cannot determine. Once 4g is fully on you can check with the Sensorly app from the play store or go to clear.com for coverage feedback.

I was unaware of several towers around here but knew a couple locations. The lack of sprint towers explains why coverage was terrible when I had a sprint phone when I moved back up here from Florida. I'm content with Verizon for now even though they are being big babies when it comes to supporting developer phones or phones that allow you to root and/or unlock the bootloader.

As for unlimited data plans... you lose your unlimited plans when you upgrade to a new phone. If you upgraded before June 28th you should still have it. If you choose not to upgrade you will continue having unlimited until you do otherwise as mentioned above on upgrading. They are tossing out unlimited and grandfathering people into new phones with the same contracts. You will be placed into tiered plans according to what you want with 2gb of data for $30 for one month. They have higher tiered data plans for those who use more than 2gb a month. More money for them and a quicker way to make us go broke if you ask me. That's a whole different debate though and I refuse to give them anymore than $230 a month that I pay for (2 phones).

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

OP
K

kb3awq

Reaction score
Sounds good. Glad they have things underway and are apparently close. Since 4G has been spotted sounds like they were testing and is probably about ready.

As for the plans, Im going to wait to see more info and wait until 4G comes to see what that will effect since I have read that 4G uses more data than 3G.

TheSwaggeR

Reaction score
Sounds good. Glad they have things underway and are apparently close. Since 4G has been spotted sounds like they were testing and is probably about ready.

As for the plans, Im going to wait to see more info and wait until 4G comes to see what that will effect since I have read that 4G uses more data than 3G.

4g doesn't use more data than 3g. Its not about the data its about speed. The higher the speed the more it bogs down the bandwidth because more people will download more due to downloads being completed faster. Therefore more data consumption will occur.

djorion87

Reaction score
Well now there's 5 from the Williamsport area! I'm hoping it happens soon. Is that what is going on along 4th Street downtown? They're laying fiber for something so I was wondering if it was for that.

OP
K

kb3awq

Reaction score
Oh I havent seen them doing that. As for 4g as far as I know it is all done at the tower site and is just a upgrade to the hardware. Ive missed when it has been on as reported above but was wondering if there is any updates?

djorion87

Reaction score
Well last night when I was in Linden, I had 4G. On my way home it switched back to 3G while passing Williamsport, then switched back again to 4G passing Loyalsock and then changed back again to 3G in Montoursville.

OP
K

kb3awq

Reaction score
Ok. I seen at midnight I had it the at 5am I didn't and now I do at work on Lycoming Creek Road

biggdave92

Reaction score
4G expanded in the Columbia, SC area yesterday. I now have a -95db connection sitting in my recliner! dancedroid:biggrin:

djorion87

Reaction score
In Fairfield Township (near Lycoming Mall). First time seeing it here.
2012-07-17 17.41.46.png

TheSwaggeR

Reaction score
4g is officially on and here to stay. They had a week delay as expected but everything is finalized and up and running.