4 1/2 hrs of almost constant use

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
You can't pull the battery lol

Sent from my XT862, while on the move.

haaaaaa .... right.... how quickly I forget.... reboot :)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

OP
W

wkayl

Reaction score
Mine ran for 6 hours with what I consider moderate use. I had to run my Sling player the last 10% so I could fully drain it and get some sleep.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Monkeyman806

Reaction score
Let's get it straight. Battery reviews on the first charge are basically meaningless. Here's what is recommended when you get the phone:

1) Charge that phone all the way up.
2) Run the phone until the battery runs out of charge and the phone shuts down.
3) Charge the phone all the way, nonstop. Nonstop!

Do this with a new phone so the phone gets an understanding of the battery's range. After charging to 100%, unplug and use as normal.

I do this with new phones, after an OTA update, after a factory reset, after a battery change, and at least once every 2 months. Keep in mind that Lithium-Ion batteries don't really like to be run down all the way so try not to do it too often.

If you write a battery review, please mention:
1) if you've run it down until it shuts off and then charged it nonstop to calibrate
2) on time of display (on my D3 I go phone settings > Battery & data manager > Touch battery for stats > Display > Time on is there)
3) total time running on battery

You hit it on the head my friend. A lot of people think with new batteries it is not important but it SO IS! A batteries, even the new ones - well old to us now - but you know what I mean, need to be conditioned. This practice will get you the most out of your battery and should be done with any new device or new battery.

I charged it fully and then used it until the phone shut itself off (got about 8.5 hours out of mine) and then charged it fully. I will even go so far to say that repeating this process 2 or more times can't hurt. Battery tests and reviews are one of those things that just get all messed up all the time. Each battery will function different out of the box and even once it is conditioned. The other issue is the amount of "use" and type of "use"... constant video streaming over Wi-Fi is not the same as constant streaming over 3G or 4G... source of streaming is different too as to the servers like Netflix, YouTube, etc. This is why a battery test review is very hard to do and almost impossible to find the same guy testing different devices the same way.

As a photographer another example of this is camera lenses. If we both bought a 100-300mm L series lens from Canon it DOES NOT MEAN the optics will provide the same results. Just like with glass - mass production does not equal identical results.

Charger your phone fully... drain that puppy dry... charge it again... and give it at least a few days to really provide a solid result.

stevedz

Reaction score
And here i thought my girlfriend was the only one who actually sat on her phone for that long. What do you do for that much time on a phone? lol

Monkeyman806

Reaction score
And here i thought my girlfriend was the only one who actually sat on her phone for that long. What do you do for that much time on a phone? lol

LOL... thankfully for me it is only done when the phone is new so most people are playing with it anyways :p

But I will admit I do normally select music or videos to loop and leave the phone to run down... at least while I eat :biggrin:

stevedz

Reaction score
ahh music yes. with this 22mbps up 22mbps down, i'm sure i can stream alot of stuff for hours on end. Will try now!:icon_eek:

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
Mine ran for 6 hours with what I consider moderate use. I had to run my Sling player the last 10% so I could fully drain it and get some sleep.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums
Slingplayer is the bomb.

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
ahh music yes. with this 22mbps up 22mbps down, i'm sure i can stream alot of stuff for hours on end. Will try now!:icon_eek:

22 up 22 down ... never heard of the same speeds on both before... don't think I've ever reached even 10mbps upload in nyc

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

NoBloatware

Reaction score
A batteries, even the new ones - well old to us now - but you know what I mean, need to be conditioned. This practice will get you the most out of your battery and should be done with any new device or new battery.

I charged it fully and then used it until the phone shut itself off (got about 8.5 hours out of mine) and then charged it fully. I will even go so far to say that repeating this process 2 or more times can't hurt.

Lithium-based batteries do not need conditioning. The phone just needs to learn about the battery. I've had good results with draining it all the way and charging it all the way once ever 2 months. Discharging Lithium-based batteries can actually hurt the battery so don't do it too often: http://batteryuniversity.com/

I thought the RAZR had a Li-PO battery not a Li- Ion.

I don't know, but charging characteristics are the same for both types: Li-polymer Battery: Substance or Hype?

kptphalkon

Reaction score
Lithium batteries actually LOSE about 10% of their maximum capacity after being fully cycled for the first time due to SEI build up in/on the anode material. And as far as I know, they are conditioned in the factory before being sent out.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

Ansa82

Reaction score
I thought the RAZR had a Li-PO battery not a Li- Ion.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

Since I'm trying to decide what to get when I send back my problematic bionic can you tell me what characteristics a Li-PO battery has? I'm totally unfamiliar...would I have to discharge it fully before charging? Thanks

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
This is correct, you do more hard than good by letting a Lithium battery discharge all the way. It's better to charge it as often as you can.

The kind of battery in the RAZR has the same characteristics.

Lithium batteries actually LOSE about 10% of their maximum capacity after being fully cycled for the first time due to SEI build up in/on the anode material. And as far as I know, they are conditioned in the factory before being sent out.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

NoBloatware

Reaction score
This is correct, you do more hard than good by letting a Lithium battery discharge all the way. It's better to charge it as often as you can.

The kind of battery in the RAZR has the same characteristics.

It is my understanding that the phone/battery actually won't let you discharge too far to minimize any negative effects. Anyway, I've had good results with the bimonthly calibration. I used the method for almost 2 years on my original Droid and its battery is still doing quite well.