3G Dropping!

jzd5032

Reaction score
I've been watching my D3 for about 8 hours now. All day it goes from 4 bars of 3G to 2 bars of 1x, without + or - a bar. Within seconds it fluctuates back and forth between exactly 4 (3G) bars and 2 (1x) bars. Not sure if anyone else is having this issue. It KILLS my battery, and doesn't ever stop. Ive updated roaming capabilities. Reset the phone. Reprogrammed it. Still doing it. Not sure why its doing this.

Vito.a

Reaction score
Did your previous Verizon phone do this? Try placing it near a window, or upstairs. The signal is line of sight, so try to figure out where the tower is and reduce the clutter between you and the tower. Also, do you have other wireless devices (cordless phone, wireless router, ect) near by that may be causing interference?

If all else fails, return the phone and complain.

OP
J

jzd5032

Reaction score
I've gone outside the house. I've walked a mile away from any building. In a full coverage zone with full 3G. My original droid never did this. Old droid is off, and still does this. My girlfriend has the droid x, and her 3g bars stay constant where mine fluctuate back and fourth constantly. I'm thinking either a defective device, or the droid 3 has some baseband issues.

Fr33dom

Reaction score
Have you updated roaming? *228 then 2 I think.

I've gone outside the house. I've walked a mile away from any building. In a full coverage zone with full 3G. My original droid never did this. Old droid is off, and still does this. My girlfriend has the droid x, and her 3g bars stay constant where mine fluctuate back and fourth constantly. I'm thinking either a defective device, or the droid 3 has some baseband issues.

CatInTheHat422

Reaction score
I had the exact same issue! Tried everything from data wipe to restarts, updated roaming, turned off global mode, nothing worked. Ended up calling verizon explaining the situation, rep said it was probably a faulty phone so I'm getting another one shipped... I even switched back to my D1 and the issues are all gone. Hope this isn't a reoccuring issue for the D3.....

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I had the exact same issue! Tried everything from data wipe to restarts, updated roaming, turned off global mode, nothing worked. Ended up calling verizon explaining the situation, rep said it was probably a faulty phone so I'm getting another one shipped... I even switched back to my D1 and the issues are all gone. Hope this isn't a reoccuring issue for the D3.....
I don't think it's a normal occurrence, at least I hope not either. Mine has no problems with that so far anyway and I haven't seen anyone else with this problem yet. But, the phones still very young. I'm sure after the 14th we'll know for sure or not.

OP
J

jzd5032

Reaction score
It took me over 30 mintues from my phone to reply to this because of the signal problem. I kmow for a fact that verizon is full of ****. They will say anything to keep someone happy. I've done everything possible to test out my signal issues. The problem sometimes occurs when you are in an area with great 3g signal. When you have 1 or 2 3g bars, that problem is constant. What are the chances that someone else on this forum ALREADY has this issue as well. I can bet my life it is a very common issue and people haven't recognized yet, and haven't really traveled to a certain area to reproduce these issues. If I'm in a 1x zone, stay 1x and don't jump up to 4 3g bars and then back down. I'm exchanging it on Monday. I guarentee it will happen again, and that this phone will need to get a baseband or software update. Ill report back on Tuesday when I receive my replacement.

geobernd

Reaction score
I noticed that it has a hard time keeping a 3g lock on my network extender - where my D1 had no issues... Now I wonder if this may be the same issue you are experiencing... Won't call for a replacement yet but will watch very closely what others are reporting in this thread

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
It took me over 30 mintues from my phone to reply to this because of the signal problem. I kmow for a fact that verizon is full of ****. They will say anything to keep someone happy. I've done everything possible to test out my signal issues. The problem sometimes occurs when you are in an area with great 3g signal. When you have 1 or 2 3g bars, that problem is constant. What are the chances that someone else on this forum ALREADY has this issue as well. I can bet my life it is a very common issue and people haven't recognized yet, and haven't really traveled to a certain area to reproduce these issues. If I'm in a 1x zone, stay 1x and don't jump up to 4 3g bars and then back down. I'm exchanging it on Monday. I guarentee it will happen again, and that this phone will need to get a baseband or software update. Ill report back on Tuesday when I receive my replacement.
I drove an hour and 30minutes out of town today, no problems still.. enough people on this forum alone you would think have been complaining about it by now already, and I'm sure it's be a common topic on other forums or sites by now too. So until it does become a common occurrence or until mine does that too, I'm gonna go with it being your phone being faulty.

R

rushmore

I drove an hour and 30minutes out of town today, no problems still.. enough people on this forum alone you would think have been complaining about it by now already, and I'm sure it's be a common topic on other forums or sites by now too. So until it does become a common occurrence or until mine does that too, I'm gonna go with it being your phone being faulty.

But to your own point, more than just the OP in this thread report having the issue.

geobernd

Reaction score
I see (from the network activity) that even if it drops to 1x it's using my extender... at the same time a friend with a still active d1 has no problems getting full 3G.... Not good...

duckworth

Reaction score
Twice so far mine has displayed the no service icon at my house, which gets a good 3G signal. I had to yank the battery to get service back. Yesterday I switched it to cdma mode only and when it happened this morning it popped up a dialog stating "there are no cdma networks available, would you like to switch to gsm", and when I tried switching it froze.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

Bear in NM

Reaction score
I see (from the network activity) that even if it drops to 1x it's using my extender... at the same time a friend with a still active d1 has no problems getting full 3G.... Not good...

Geo,

Which network extender are you using, if I may ask? I need my Wilson Products booster at my house, and I have one in my Jeep, so I have been kinda concerned if they will function properly with the newer phones. Frequencies are frequencies, in theory:)

Craig