3G Dropping!

geobernd

Reaction score
I am using the Verizon 3G Network Extender - which is a Femtocell. If you have a third party booster I agree there should be no difference from how it operates today...

jmremsen

Reaction score
Same issue w/ dropped 3G on new Droid 3

I received my new Droid 3 on Friday (7/8) and switched over from my Droid X. Where i was having NO problems with my DX, the 3G keeps dropping on my new D3 and rolling to 1x. It will fix itself on a reboot, but who needs to be doing that 3 times a day? I have tried different configurations of settings: keeping wireless off, changing network mode from Global to CDMA and back again, changing Battery mode from Nighttime saver to Performance, turning Airplane Mode off and on (to avoid reboot). Nothing is a permanent fix.

I had one other idea which is to uncheck Sync over WiFi Only, which is in Settings-Data Manager-Data Delivery-Social Apps. (When this is checked it prevents System Updates from working...just a thought...we'll see.)

I am reluctant to call Verizon because after having spent 3 days downloading apps and tweaking my phone to get it just right, i do NOT want to do a factory reset or get a replacement phone.

If anyone discovers a real solution, please post it here! Thanks.

jmremsen

Reaction score
p.s. i do not have an extender.

Has anyone tried an ESN swap (activate an old phone, then reactivate the current phone which supposedly reprovisions your data)? I see from google searches that some people experiencing 3G drops with new Verizon phones (but not necessarily Droids) have had some success.

Bear in NM

Reaction score
I am using the Verizon 3G Network Extender - which is a Femtocell. If you have a third party booster I agree there should be no difference from how it operates today...

Geo,

Thanks. I was suspecting you were on VZW hardware. I am a bit stressed that a new phone may give me problems with my Wilson repeaters. More worried that the baseband will be the flakey component, as most of my coverage is on secondary provider towers. Even on my D1 I am running an older baseband version. At least 14 days is plenty long to sort out these kind of issues, once I decide on a new phone, and pull the trigger.

Craig

geobernd

Reaction score
Looks like my D3 and extender are getting along better now.... no drops today... maybe Verizon changed some Extender config....

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

neonerz

Reaction score
I'm actually having the same problem, I've been on the phone with Verizon all day trying to fix it.

I keep going from 1 bar of 3G to 1 bar of 1x. Mind you, my original Droid always had full service 3G.

ZPrime

Reaction score
There is definitely something weird going on with the data portion of the phone. I am sitting 5 feet from a network extender (one of the newer 3G ones), my D2 had no problems with it, and Blackberries are OK with it, but the D3 constantly flops between 3G and 1x. Oddly, when it is on normal towers at home it seems to do better, but we get very little signal at my office hence the network extender.

My battery life has been terrible as well, worse than the D2, I'm convinced it is related to this data flopping.

I have all of the data saver & battery saver crap turned off, I need my push mail (Exchange) to be alive at all times. Same way I had the D2 setup and it would make it the whole day and be down to 70-60%. The D3 is down to 40%-50% after 10 hours and probably wouldn't make the whole day without charging.

neonerz

Reaction score
It sucks because I'm really liking this phone.

Let me ask you, you said your push exchange email? I can't seem to get mine activated and Motorola and Verizon both seem to think it's because of the data issue. Do you use SSL for exchange and do you know if its a self signed certificate or one signed by a legit authority (like verisign)?

bkcorwin

Reaction score
i am getting these same symptoms. Toggling between full bars 3g, 1 bar 3g, 1 bar 1x, etc.

neonerz

Reaction score
I hate to say it, but my problem wasn't the Droid3. It turned out that I left my original Droid on without changing its MIN and MDN, and it was confusing the tower. Once I turned off the Droid, my Droid 3 started working perfectly.

To make sure this isn't your problem, dial ##7764726 on your old phone and hit send. SPC password is 000000 (this seems to be the same password on every VZW phone I've tried), go into User Activation and change the MIN and MDN. Don't worry about messing up your phone, *228 would fix it if you want to use it again.

R

rushmore

I had the 1X issue once today and do not recall this happening with the D1 or Incredible. That said, the D3 reception IMO is better than those devices.

xaelith

Reaction score
I had this same issue with my D1 before it gave up trying to connect to the mobile network altogether. When I took it in to the Verizon store, the guy helping me tried the ##7-whatever, and when he put the password in, it told him the password was incorrect...go figure.

jfourman

Reaction score
I hate to say it, but my problem wasn't the Droid3. It turned out that I left my original Droid on without changing its MIN and MDN, and it was confusing the tower. Once I turned off the Droid, my Droid 3 started working perfectly.

To make sure this isn't your problem, dial ##7764726 on your old phone and hit send. SPC password is 000000 (this seems to be the same password on every VZW phone I've tried), go into User Activation and change the MIN and MDN. Don't worry about messing up your phone, *228 would fix it if you want to use it again.

For those with the Network Extender and still have your old phone, this is the fix that worked for me. I was frustrated by getting only 1x on my D3 when sitting next to my Network Extender. After I read this post, I turned off my D1 and low and behold...3G all day all night. Thanks neonerz!

jfourman

Reaction score

For those with the Network Extender and still have your old phone, this is the fix that worked for me. I was frustrated by getting only 1x on my D3 when sitting next to my Network Extender. After I read this post, I turned off my D1 and low and behold...3G all day all night. Thanks neonerz!

It started dropping again from 3G to 1x. I don't necessarily think this is a Network Extender issue. #48 confirms that I am connected to the Network Extender for the phone even though the data connection shows 1x. The 3G to 1x drop occurs even when I am out of range of the NE. I called Verizon Support. There is a discussion on the Motorola D3 forum ( https://supportforums.motorola.com/message/433486 ) indicating that others have been reporting the issue. My VZ Support person said that he could find nothing logged regarding the issue. He entered a new report and said I should expect a call back in 72 hours. One point that he noted that contradicts my previous post and the posts of others above is that there is no possibility of a conflict on the NE between your old phone and your new one with the same phone number. He said the communication with the NE uses the unique radio address of the phone (MAC) not the phone number. So our theories that shutting off your D1 would somehow fix the issue is merely coincidental rather than actual.

I think this is a radio issue with the D3 that can hopefully be fixed within the firmware. I think some of us are associating it with the Network Extender because the issue is so obvious when your phone is next to the extender and you are on 1x service.

I'll post back if I get a meaningful response from Verizon.

neonerz

Reaction score
The Verizon rep you spoke with was wrong. Cell equipment does not communicate with a phone using a MAC address. It uses the MIN and MDN. Don't believe me? Grab another VZ phone, grab the MIN and MDN of your current phone, program that in the old one (using the same instructions I mentioned above) and power both on and put them next to each other, watch what happens.

When you dial *228 it automatically does what I gave you the instructions of above, program your MDN and MIN.

Keep in mind the MDM is your phone number and the MIN is the Mobile Identification Number. If a tower sees two phones trying to connect to it with the same MDM and MIN it won't know which one to service and will attempt to service both.

A MAC address is a Manufacturer Access Control address. It's a unique address assigned to ALL (and this is the important part) network devices. If your phone doesn't have a WIFI chip (or doubtfully a NIC card) it won't have a MAC address.