2.3.3 Gingerbread OTA update zip file download

cpark92808

Reaction score
Hey Guys, I have 3.8.7. I am really bad with technology, so can anyone be kind enough to give me like a mini tutorial how to use this to update to gingerbread? Thank you so much

LeoBloom

Reaction score
I did the upgrade and I am currently getting a looping error "the process com.motorola.service.main has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again" on startup. I can't stop it. What is going on?

EDIT: Seems like this somehow resolved itself. I booted into recovery but I couldn't open up the menu with the @ button. So I started pressing random buttons and something worked. The phone took me to the activation screen.

Last edited:

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Hey Guys, I have 3.8.7. I am really bad with technology, so can anyone be kind enough to give me like a mini tutorial how to use this to update to gingerbread? Thank you so much

Go back to page 2 of this thread. vivid22 already gave a good set of step by step instructions:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/motorola-droid-pro/151082-2-3-3-gingerbread-ota-update-zip-file-download-2.html#post1555662

It always helps to read through a thread, especially a longer one. Chances are most of the basic questions have already been addressed. :)

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
How Do you go from 2.3.3 to gingerbread?

2.3.3 is Gingerbread.

3.8.7 is the Motorola version number, not the Android version number. If you currently have 3.8.7, then you actually have Android version 2.2.1.

Just download the file from the OP and follow vivid22's directions to upgrade to gingerbread.

...or just wait until you get the over the air update directly from Verizon.

vivid22

Reaction score
Yes it should actually work fine for everyone, very straightforward. I can confirm that you can update even though the phone is left rooted in 3.8.7 with some apps frozen. To be safe, I would advise to go back in to Titanium to check if there arent any important system utils frozen (Update, Backup type utils..).

Also, concerning rooting, here is a funny occurence and I cant explain it ...

I am using WhatsApp as many others of you. There, you can set the colours how your led is flashing for notifications. I have it set to Purple type colour which means that the red and blue led have to flash together for it to work. This is not a standard led colour on the Droid Pro, like the others (blue, green, red). For this to work, the phone has to be rooted. I know for a fact that the led wont flash if unrooted.. However, after I attempted aRoot, it now actually flashes Purple again... How is that possible .. ? Titanium Backup can not get root permissions ... seems the phone is almost "soft-rooted" by aRoot ... Any explanations folks? :icon_eek:

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
So I am not rooted I am just fresh Android 2.2 build 3.8.7 if I try this and something goes wrong I can't use the old SBF to get me back to 2.2 after going to 2.3 right? Would I be making a trip to the Verizon store?

mrapollinax

Reaction score
Also, concerning rooting, here is a funny occurence and I cant explain it ...

I am using WhatsApp as many others of you. There, you can set the colours how your led is flashing for notifications. I have it set to Purple type colour which means that the red and blue led have to flash together for it to work. This is not a standard led colour on the Droid Pro, like the others (blue, green, red). For this to work, the phone has to be rooted. I know for a fact that the led wont flash if unrooted.. However, after I attempted aRoot, it now actually flashes Purple again... How is that possible .. ? Titanium Backup can not get root permissions ... seems the phone is almost "soft-rooted" by aRoot ... Any explanations folks? :icon_eek:

I'll add my observations as well...I'm using SetCPU... and it looks like it is working as I can see the scaling working when i sit and watch it. However I'm in read-only mode so I can't configure anything. So it looks like any "Root" apps that have changed system properties in 3.8.7 have carried over. But any apps requiring root access to run will not recognize they have root. Superuser will actually still show the apps as "allowed" in my system.

hanybanoub

Reaction score
Thanks for your replies guys.

I never extracted it. I downloaded, then renamed to update.zip, copied to SD card in phone and tried to update from recovery mode.

It was the same process I used before to manually update to 3.87 or whatever it was called.

What else should I try? Pls help.

Btw could there be leftover files on the sd card from last manual update that's causing this?

PS I even downloaded file again but still same message.

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums

The zip file that you download has a .zip extension. Unzip it and inside you will find a zip file called update.zip. This is the actual file that you need on the root of your SD card. Don't just rename the downloaded file. Open it and use the file inside. As a way to check, once you open the file and double click the update.zip file inside, you will notice inside of it, the system files and folders.

Thanks very much! That worked perfectly!

ek_skotous

Reaction score
Ok so when I download the file, it is called "Droid Pro 2.3.3 update.ZIP"

Which of these steps do I use?,
1. Rename the downloaded file from "Droid Pro 2.3.3 update.ZIP" to "update.zip"?
2. Extract the downloaded file, "Droid Pro 2.3.3 update.ZIP" and get a folder called 2.3.3 and inside there's a update.zip file?
3. Extract the update.zip file from the 2.3.3 folder(from step above) and get another update.zip?

1. Open the file.
2. You will see a folder "2.3.3 ... " or something similar
3. Open that folder and you will find a file update.zip
4. This is the file you need!!
5. Extract the folder "2.3.3.." somewhere where you remember
6. Once you have done so, go into the folder and copy the "update.zip" file
7. Paste it on your SD card in the root directory (main folder of the card)
8. Power down phone
9. Turn on phone by pressing Power + R + M at the same time, let go of the buttons as soon as you see the Motorola logo
10. You will see the "!" logo, press @ to enter the Recovery mode
11. There, navigate with the volume keys to apply update
12. Let it work its magic, and reboot when it prompts you too at the end ;)

Hope that helps!

Thanks for the instructions. I would just add a couple of additional points of clarification from when I just ran through it.

For step 11 you hit the enter key on the Droid Pro physical keybaord after you select the option with the volume rockers to apply the update.zip

For step 12 there is LOTS of text that scrolls up on the screen and can be hard to read. Eventually it will indicate that its done and will highlight the reboot system now line (blue text). It takes a while to update so be patient. To reboot you once again hit the enter key on the physical keyboard to select that option that was highlighted.

The first boot takes longer than normal so again be patient

Other than these points of clarification the instructions worked like a charm on a stock device that was previously running the 3.8.7 stock release. Gingerbread booted right up and seems to be working fine.

tt07

Reaction score
Just installed GB without wiping or clearing cache and it installed perfectly. All of my settings and everything stayed the same. The notification bar looks alot cleaner and the layout just seems a lot better.

cpark92808

Reaction score
Hey is there a way to downgrade? Not rooting the phone is just killing my battery. I would rather have droid pro with froyo and root than gingerbread at this point

Sent from my DROID Pro using DroidForums

negligentinmate

Reaction score
Hey is there a way to downgrade? Not rooting the phone is just killing my battery. I would rather have droid pro with froyo and root than gingerbread at this point

you should be able to get back to froyo in the same manner that you upgraded to GB... you would simply need the froyo update.zip, go in thru recovery and update that way....i could be work but it makes sense to me..

my issue is that ive tried 2 times and im still getting the signature verification issue:icon_evil: i have followed the instructions to the t and still having issue. i am saving it the initial .zip file to my computer, going into the 2.3.3 file, and extracting the update.zip directly to my sd root....and nothing.... please help

cpark92808

Reaction score
Where do i get the froyo update for droid pro?