2.3.3 Gingerbread OTA update zip file download

Discussion in 'Droid Pro Development' started by nomad2000, Jun 1, 2011.

1. bsweetness

bsweetness Moderator

You don't have to root your phone to apply the update in this thread. It's an OTA update from Verizon that someone pulled off their phone. It works just like one you'd download directly from them. No need to root.
  2. heyyclifford

heyyclifford New Member

That is the real push. I uploaded the update myself and its runnning perfectly fine. Not rooted. Just updated and happy :) i suggest you update. U wont regret it

Sent from my DROID Pro
  3. gsu_golfer

gsu_golfer New Member

Also not rooted, but updated and running fine. I was rooted prior to the update but unrooted to install it.

Sent from my DROID Pro using DroidForums
  4. rbw62

rbw62 New Member

So where is the update?

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums
  5. bsweetness

bsweetness Moderator

The first post of this thread.
  6. hal83

hal83 New Member

hello all. i CANNOT get my phone updated to gingerbread and i have no idea why. after following the list of steps and getting to the point where i'm at the recovery screen "apply sdcard:update .zip", i try it and in the beginning it says "E:Can't open /cache/ recovery / command" and "E: Can't open / cache/ recovery/ caller". it also says there's an error in /sdcard /update .zip and the installation is aborted (ignore the spaces).

someone mentioned sbfing the phone so i followed the droid pro tutorial and after the process was finished, it said PASS. nothing seems changed...

i've tried the other options as well: i've wiped the cache partition and i even wiped data/factory reset. rebooting the system leaves me where i started from.

i just got this refurbished droid pro from the web (and i live in america) if that info helps. i can give you more info if needed, thanks
  7. Hyposprayer

Hyposprayer New Member

Forgive me for seeming stupid or whatever but I feel like I need to reiterate the steps to make sure what I think I would have to do is right:

So first I need to download the thing on the post here: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/motorola-droid-pro/112314-official-droid-pro-sbf-tbh.html <--Then follow the directions right?

Then after, if I download the update on the first page of this topic, I download it on my phone directly from the post and somehow apply the update without all of this other stuff? If so, what is the sbf stuff for?

Or I do need to download it to the computer to unzip it? If so, where am I supposed to download it to so that I can apply it as an update?

On my Eris I would just haphazardly try things and see what happened. I don't want to do that to this phone since I actually use it for important things. So again, sorry if I might seem completely and totally way too careful and confused. I just want my damn bluetooth and volume issues fixed.

Oh, last thing, would this update force me to reapply all my widgets and apps?
  8. bsweetness

bsweetness Moderator

If you're only wanting to install the Gingerbread update, you don't have to flash the SBF. It just basically returns your phone to exactly how it was out of the box as far as everything stock goes (your personal information will remain). Unless you're having problems, you don't have to do that. It might make things smoother, but it's not necessary. The SBF is primarily if you've done something to mess up your phone or if you're having problems that you can't seem to fix. It's a lifesaver.

Just download the file from the first post and follow the instructions on the second page of this thread:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/motorola-droid-pro/151082-2-3-3-gingerbread-ota-update-zip-file-download-2.html#post1555662

The update.zip file is inside the zip file you download from the OP, so you will need to unzip it. It's detailed in the directions. There are also a few other tips on the installation throughout this thread. It's worth skimming through the whole thing.

If you flash the SBF, you'll probably have to replace some stuff. But if you just install the update in this thread, you shouldn't have to replace anything. It's no different than downloading the update OTA directly from Verizon.

Installing this update does cause you to lose root though, and there currently isn't a way to root it. Just FYI in case that's important to you. There is a rooted version of Gingerbread that you can download through the Team Black Hat app.
  9. Hyposprayer

Hyposprayer New Member

I'm not rooted and at this point I'd like to get some of the basics of the phone back working consistently before I even attempt to root but I'd like to do so on this phone one day. After all, wireless tether would be sweet without having to fork over money to Verizon despite already having an unlimited data plan.

Downloading right now...wish me luck!
  10. gsu_golfer

gsu_golfer New Member

Others have posted that wireless tether doesnt work in gingerbread. Cant verify but just tossing it out there.

Sent from my SPH-P100 using DroidForums
  11. bsweetness

bsweetness Moderator

If you're having problems with your phone, and I assume you are because you said you'd like to get some of the basics back working consistently, simply installing the Gingerbread update may not fix those problems. It updates the system as you currently have it, so some of those problems may very well carry over. Flashing the SBF is what should solve any of the problems you aren't able to address directly. But I suppose you might as well try installing Gingerbread first to see if anything does happen to get fixed. If not, there's always the SBF.
  12. hal83

hal83 New Member

EDIT

nevermind everybody! gingerbread's up and running and i love it. beautifully smooth now.

the problem was that i needed to install the latest phone updates, and before i had to do that i actually had to activate the phone. when i followed the listed steps it took a few minutes but then worked seamlessly.

i might have a go at rooting it now, it might be worth it for the battery.
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
  13. Skyrocketing

Skyrocketing New Member

After hours of uninstalling, installing, rebooting, SBFing, updating, etc, I finally got to install GB but came to a new problem. When I boot, my phones get the red Moto logo (which is good I guess) but after that it goes away and nothing happens.I feel like its working somehow because there is screen and touch buttons backlight, and when I press the power button they go off. I've tried rebooting and pulling the battery but nothing works. I can't get into Recovery either.
  14. gsu_golfer

gsu_golfer New Member

Thats probably because youve somehow lost the boot animation. Happened to me once.

Sent from my SPH-P100 using DroidForums
  15. Skyrocketing

Skyrocketing New Member

I actually heard the "DROID" so something must be up. I SBF'd and now my phone is being extremely slow and is hardly working. oh boy

EDIT: re-SBF'd and GB now working. Thanks a bunch to random posts in this thread for help :)
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
  16. Astaroth

Astaroth New Member

why won't verizon officially release the damn update? it's so frustrating
  17. rocket_girl

rocket_girl New Member

OK, likely a dumb question here. My phone unmounts the SD card when I plug into computer via USB cable. How do I change this - so I can access SD card via computer? Would like to apply unrooted Gingerbread, but can't get the file to my SD card until I can access SD card while plugged in to computer. Help?
  18. rocket_girl

rocket_girl New Member

...continued... quite possibly I should not attempt the Gingerbread update if I have a question as basic as the one I just posted :):icon_eek:
  19. jpcalhoun

jpcalhoun Well-Known Member

After you have your Pro connected to your computer via USB, open your notification bar, touch USB Connection and select Mass Storage. I'd also download and install the latest Motorola USB drivers first, if you haven't already done that.
  20. rocket_girl

rocket_girl New Member

It WORKED!

So, the drive was there all along, in a folder called 'Blackberry" - a relic from my prior device. Applied update, worked flawlessly. Look forward to discovering what Gingerbread can do! Better transitions and faster everything so far. Like the blue status bar. Agree w/ other posters about the menus...prefer black w/ white font to newer white w/ black, but the darn thing already *runs* better, so I will take that trade-off.
Search tags for this page

download update.zip

droid 2 update.zip

droid pro gingerbread download

droid x2 gingerbread update

droid x2 update.zip

gingerbread 2.3.3 download

gingerbread update download

gingerbread update.zip
gingerbread zip file
update.zip
update.zip android download