2.3.3 Gingerbread OTA update zip file download

Discussion in 'Droid Pro Development' started by nomad2000, Jun 1, 2011.

1. mrapollinax

mrapollinax New Member

I'm running GB with this zip file but did not retain root it seems. I've tried running aRoot again to regain root but to no avail. I'm also seeing some strange Market behavior, updating a single app leads to creating multiple download threads in the notification bar.
  2. vivid22

vivid22 New Member

Yes, I can confirm that. Just tried aRoot and while it says in the cmd window that it worked fine, it really didnt.
  3. mrapollinax

mrapollinax New Member

okay thanks for the confirm. Was this zip created from TBH's release? I've downloaded those files as well but it seems that stock recovery will not allow me to use those zip files. I haven't been able to install CWR on my phone for some reason and as such didn't get to use TBH's files. Its times like this that i wish my Droid Pro was as easy to work with as my Nook Color...
  4. bsweetness

bsweetness Moderator

You have to be rooted with the Droid 2 Bootstrapper and Clockwork in order to install the rooted Team Black Hat files. If you've already installed the zip from this thread, which as the title of the thread indicates is the OTA update (and not taken from Team Black Hat), you won't be able to install the rooted version at this point.

There are other rooting methods such as Gingerbreak and SuperOneClick. I haven't received the update (and haven't been in a place to install the pulled version), so I haven't been able to try out any of them. I don't know that they'll work though. I've heard there's a new version of Gingerbreak on the way for 2.3.3.
  5. mmw68666

mmw68666 New Member

im rocking GB on my PRO YAY
  6. mrapollinax

mrapollinax New Member

I was rooted previously using the method above. This update file did not retain root.

I'll keep an eyeout for the new GingerBreak. SuperOneClick has been hit or miss for me in the past.
  7. mmw68666

mmw68666 New Member

superoneclick did not work for me so let me know when gingerbreak comes out
  8. bsweetness

bsweetness Moderator

Yeah, I read that. Virtually no updates retain root. I was just saying that there's no way at present to install the Team Black Hat files if the OTA update has already been installed since there's no root. As you said, they don't work with the stock recovery.
  9. bsweetness

bsweetness Moderator

Last edited: Jun 2, 2011
  10. mrapollinax

mrapollinax New Member

Gave it a shot with 1.20 and looks like it doesn't work, for me at least. Device has been sitting with the "Rooting..." dialog window for a couple minutes now...
  11. rafeee2

rafeee2 New Member

Been there, doesn't work.
  12. cpark92808

cpark92808 New Member

Hey Guys, I have 3.8.7. I am really bad with technology, so can anyone be kind enough to give me like a mini tutorial how to use this to update to gingerbread? Thank you so much
  13. LeoBloom

LeoBloom New Member

I did the upgrade and I am currently getting a looping error "the process com.motorola.service.main has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again" on startup. I can't stop it. What is going on?

EDIT: Seems like this somehow resolved itself. I booted into recovery but I couldn't open up the menu with the @ button. So I started pressing random buttons and something worked. The phone took me to the activation screen.
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2011
  14. bsweetness

bsweetness Moderator

Go back to page 2 of this thread. vivid22 already gave a good set of step by step instructions:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/motorola-droid-pro/151082-2-3-3-gingerbread-ota-update-zip-file-download-2.html#post1555662

It always helps to read through a thread, especially a longer one. Chances are most of the basic questions have already been addressed. :)
  15. cpark92808

cpark92808 New Member

How Do you go from 2.3.3 to gingerbread?
  16. bsweetness

bsweetness Moderator

2.3.3 is Gingerbread.

3.8.7 is the Motorola version number, not the Android version number. If you currently have 3.8.7, then you actually have Android version 2.2.1.

Just download the file from the OP and follow vivid22's directions to upgrade to gingerbread.

...or just wait until you get the over the air update directly from Verizon.
  17. vivid22

vivid22 New Member

Yes it should actually work fine for everyone, very straightforward. I can confirm that you can update even though the phone is left rooted in 3.8.7 with some apps frozen. To be safe, I would advise to go back in to Titanium to check if there arent any important system utils frozen (Update, Backup type utils..).

Also, concerning rooting, here is a funny occurence and I cant explain it ...

I am using WhatsApp as many others of you. There, you can set the colours how your led is flashing for notifications. I have it set to Purple type colour which means that the red and blue led have to flash together for it to work. This is not a standard led colour on the Droid Pro, like the others (blue, green, red). For this to work, the phone has to be rooted. I know for a fact that the led wont flash if unrooted.. However, after I attempted aRoot, it now actually flashes Purple again... How is that possible .. ? Titanium Backup can not get root permissions ... seems the phone is almost "soft-rooted" by aRoot ... Any explanations folks? :icon_eek:
  18. Sydman

Sydman Premium Member Rescue Squad Premium Member

So I am not rooted I am just fresh Android 2.2 build 3.8.7 if I try this and something goes wrong I can't use the old SBF to get me back to 2.2 after going to 2.3 right? Would I be making a trip to the Verizon store?
  19. mrapollinax

mrapollinax New Member

I'll add my observations as well...I'm using SetCPU... and it looks like it is working as I can see the scaling working when i sit and watch it. However I'm in read-only mode so I can't configure anything. So it looks like any "Root" apps that have changed system properties in 3.8.7 have carried over. But any apps requiring root access to run will not recognize they have root. Superuser will actually still show the apps as "allowed" in my system.
  20. hanybanoub

hanybanoub New Member

Thanks very much! That worked perfectly!
Search tags for this page

download update.zip

droid 2 update.zip

droid pro gingerbread download

droid x2 gingerbread update

droid x2 update.zip

gingerbread 2.3.3 download

gingerbread update download

gingerbread update.zip
gingerbread zip file
update.zip
update.zip android download