.173 or .174 ...WHICH ONE?!?!?!?

Einsteindks

Reaction score
I've seen both used, so what gives? The OTA on my Razr went to 173. Am I missing out on something?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
.174 is not official as of yet...but is supposedly a patch to .173 however, since it is not official - if you download / manual install, you could be off the update path.

OP
Einsteindks

Einsteindks

Reaction score
Really??!!? Do tell! Pardon my further curiosity, but just what stuff is patched? Seems to me, so far, that everything is OK. AND, we talking a simple restore-before to get back on the update circuit, or a flash-to-.744?

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
I will have to look for the specifics... But I do remember that it was to correct the force close of the search key in the app drawer.

I believe you could go back to 748 if you installed 174...

~maxx it out cause it's to powerful to fall into the wrong hands~

aktrazer

Reaction score
I went ahead and flashed to .174. I think the only thing that really was different was the FC in the App drawer as smalltowngirl stated. I reverted and got back to .173 OTA so I'm not off the update track.

OP
Einsteindks

Einsteindks

Reaction score
Cool. I'll skip the attempt. Got no FC issue, could be due to app updates? Difficult to say.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I will have to look for the specifics... But I do remember that it was to correct the force close of the search key in the app drawer.

I believe you could go back to 748 if you installed 174...

~maxx it out cause it's to powerful to fall into the wrong hands~

Here's something interesting...

I had done the full upgrade through the leaks, first the .173 leak, then the .174 leak. Then I fastbooted back to .744, followed the upgrade path to .748, then to .173, and strangely the FC on search in app tray is not happening. Seems the "fix" that .174 created remained through 3 versions of ROMs. Wonder what they changed, because it was obviously not a part of the actual ROMs. :blink:

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
Here's something interesting...

I had done the full upgrade through the leaks, first the .173 leak, then the .174 leak. Then I fastbooted back to .744, followed the upgrade path to .748, then to .173, and strangely the FC on search in app tray is not happening. Seems the "fix" that .174 created remained through 3 versions of ROMs. Wonder what they changed, because it was obviously not a part of the actual ROMs. :blink:

Hmmm...definitely interesting - something to consider as a possibility...

fegriffith

Reaction score
I thought I read somewhere that the "fix" for that force close was to disable the ability to search in the app drawer at all. So the fix really fixes it?

Rotech72

Reaction score
Just seen that supposedly .174 will not be the official path... so why would the latest OTA .173 come with the force close issue drawer/search...

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Just seen that supposedly .174 will not be the official path... so why would the latest OTA .173 come with the force close issue drawer/search...

Can't answer that other than to say it's a bug that got through. As for .174, not only is it NOT the next upgrade, but there's already a .175. Apparently .174 has caused MAJOR problems with some users causing the phone to lose 4G connectivity permanently, and even Fastboot back to .744 was unable to resolve.

It is recommended that you do NOT flash .174. .175 has not been released for flashing by the leak either, but we may see it in the coming days, however we may not either.

For now, .173 (Official) is as far as you should go. If you have already flashed .174, it's best to try to Fastboot back to .744 and follow the standard upgrade path. If you want root, now even .173 has been rooted so it may not be necessary to root .748 and then use Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper, however it is the tried and true method most have followed (including me), and it hasn't bombed as far as I know.

mattlgroff

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
6.12.174 AND 6.12.175 will not be official upgrades. We still aren't sure on this 6.12.176 and it is being tested now internally. If you are interested in 6.12.175 you can find it over at droidrzr.com where we organize these tests. If you want to get in on these internal test you may add me on googletalk @ [email protected]

I do require that you acknowledge the risks involved to your phone with these unreleased updated and I would ask that you give good feedback on them.

Rotech72

Reaction score
Gotcha ..thanks ..I'm on.173 with ICS beta ..my wife's on.174...just told her the bad news..I'll just go back to the beginning using RSD...THANKS AGAIN

mattlgroff

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Gotcha ..thanks ..I'm on.173 with ICS beta ..my wife's on.174...just told her the bad news..I'll just go back to the beginning using RSD...THANKS AGAIN

You could always use my utility and go straight to 6.11.748. It works better than RSD Lite in many aspects.

Rotech72

Reaction score
You could always use my utility and go straight to 6.11.748. It works better than RSD Lite in many aspects.

Good thing you mentioned that..I downloaded it from my phone...couldn't get it to run...was I supposed to download onto a PC...I also tried extracting it on to my SD card..where did I go wrong..