Tested and Confirmed! UPDATE TO 2.3.6 / 6.12.174 and KEEP ROOT! EZ Too!

OP
Dunb440

Dunb440

Reaction score
That's great info but I'm actually good with not getting it OTA because I am sure 5,000,000 guru's will have it rooted, wrangled and right within 15 minutes, lol.

PLUS I was updated, re-rooted and on with life in 10 minutes..

happy camper.. DancingNexus

Also...... all users need to be aware that the links provided by the OP are leaked updates and are not the official ota files.
If you install these leaks, you will most likely be taken off of the update path. Essentially, this means when ICS is pushed out, you will not get it.

Of course there is a way to get back on track for future updates but that will require fastboot files back to system 744.

If you don't want to put yourself in that position, be patient and do not use these leaks.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Last edited:

aktrazer

Reaction score
6 in one hand, half dozen in the other if you ask me. We probably won't get the OTA, but there will be enough people who get ICS and make it flashable. Absolute worse case scenario, fastboot, root, OTA, restore root.

That's great info but I'm actually good with not getting it OTA because I am sure 5,000,000 guru's will have it rooted, wrangled and right within 15 minutes, lol.

PLUS I was updated, re-rooted and on with life in 10 minutes..

happy camper.. DancingNexus

Reaction score
I agree there will likely be more leaks our disable versions in the future but I just wanted to make stuff to put that it there because new users who don't know what they are doing should be wanted in advance. Otherwise, they will be left wondering why they can't get future updates and may not have any clue what fastboot files are. It is just always best to give a warning for the noobs.

aktrazer

Reaction score
That's an excellent point. Those of us who have experience with flashing/fastbooting have a little more freedom to update with OTA. It's always a good idea to educate the newer users about the pros and cons of flashing leaked updates!

I agree there will likely be more leaks our disable versions in the future but I just wanted to make stuff to put that it there because new users who don't know what they are doing should be wanted in advance. Otherwise, they will be left wondering why they can't get future updates and may not have any clue what fastboot files are. It is just always best to give a warning for the noobs.

OP
Dunb440

Dunb440

Reaction score
I agree, and I AM a noob myself too or I woulda thought about that in my original post!

Thanks for the much needed warning..

Glenn

That's an excellent point. Those of us who have experience with flashing/fastbooting have a little more freedom to update with OTA. It's always a good idea to educate the newer users about the pros and cons of flashing leaked updates!

TheAngryPanda

Reaction score
I can also confirm that this works with the update currently being pushed. If you do not want 174 yet, the first four steps works (so far and knock on gorilla glass) great for keeping root. Voodoo is an awesome app.

droid2drummer

Silver Member
Reaction score
This is not true. You do not need to change the name. In stock recovery you get to choose the zip file to install. On older phones you would have had to change the name because the phone would only look for the file named update.zip but that it's not the case anymore.

What's up Jking? Just saw your reply..lol yeah its crazy but obviously I haven't even been to my recovery on this phone yet so I'm sure I wouldn't know. I have been holding off on root with this device only at the moment because of its speed and dependability. But trust me it won't be much longer before its flashed three times a day like my others...lol I appreciate the heads up bro! Peace!

:cool:

You've been tapped by the Drummer...

Reaction score
What's up Jking? Just saw your reply..lol yeah its crazy but obviously I haven't even been to my recovery on this phone yet so I'm sure I wouldn't know. I have been holding off on root with this device only at the moment because of its speed and dependability. But trust me it won't be much longer before its flashed three times a day like my others...lol I appreciate the heads up bro! Peace!

Hey brother. Yeah, I know how it is when we are so used to doing something on every device before now. Just wanted to clear it up so there was no confusion. I have played around and fished every possible ROM there is but I keep going back to stock. Now, if MIUI ever gets ported to the razr I will be all over that.

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using DroidForums

droid2drummer

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hey brother. Yeah, I know how it is when we are so used to doing something on every device before now. Just wanted to clear it up so there was no confusion. I have played around and fished every possible ROM there is but I keep going back to stock. Now, if MIUI ever gets ported to the razr I will be all over that.

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using DroidForums

Won't be long I'm sure!:)

panapress

Reaction score
I have a rooted Razr with stock OS. I have not installed the update yet. If I want to keep my root and still be able to receive future updates, it appears the voodoo OTA rootkeeper will do the job? Has anyone had luck using Voodoo Rootkeeper to do this? I just want to be able to keep my root after the update.

Reaction score
I have a rooted Razr with stock OS. I have not installed the update yet. If I want to keep my root and still be able to receive future updates, it appears the voodoo OTA rootkeeper will do the job? Has anyone had luck using Voodoo Rootkeeper to do this? I just want to be able to keep my root after the update.

Yes. It is the only way to keep root. Download the root keeper, open it, select protect root, then select temp unroot, download and install the ota update, when finished open root keeper, select restore root.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
READ COMPLETELY BEFORE ATTEMPTING!

Basically, you need to update to 2.3.6 / 6.12.173, then update that to .174

This is no longer recommended as the .174 leaked update is now considered "not official" since three .173 version is now being pushed out as an OTA update.

As such, it has been removed from the site that first posted it. Other sites have mirrored it, so use at your own risk.

Last edited:

panapress

Reaction score
Yes. It is the only way to keep root. Download the root keeper, open it, select protect root, then select temp unroot, download and install the ota update, when finished open root keeper, select restore root.

I downloaded root keeper and protect root. However, the update to 2.3.6 failed because some of the preinstalls apps are missing. How do I reinstall these apps so I can update?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I downloaded root keeper and protect root. However, the update to 2.3.6 failed because some of the preinstalls apps are missing. How do I reinstall these apps so I can update?

You will need to follow the instructions to flash the Fastboot ROM which takes you back to stock .744, then root and protect, then OTA to .748 (2.3.5) and eventually back to .173 (2.3.6).

Instructions can be found here (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1416058).

Last edited:
Reaction score
This is no longer recommended as the .174 leaked update is now considered "not official" since three .173 version is now being pushed out as an OTA update.

As such, it has been removed from the site that first posted it. Other sites have mirrored it, so use at your own risk.

I think it is funny that people are all of a sudden claiming this to be unofficial. The same was said when 173 leaked out. Remember our was leaked out at the same time that 748 was being pushed. Each update its pushed about a month after the built date because it has to go through the checks and approvals. However, common sense will suggest that 174 will likely be an ota in another couple of weeks.

748.... build date of late Nov.... pushed ota 1 month later.

173... build date end of December.... pushed ota 1 month later.

174.... build date end of Jan.... pushed ota ????

Last edited: