YUUUUGE Verizon News! Unlimited Data Returning!

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Some Big News is coming from Verizon next week. In fact Verizon has said "going to have some fireworks next week"! In the previous statement Verizon is responding to some rumors about some big changes coming to packages. A redditer has posted an internal Verizon document which shows Carryover Data, Safety Mode, and Mexico and Canada Service details.

Carry Over data will be similar to rollover data from AT&T. You keep what you buy. If you don't use it it automagically rolls over. The unused gigs will stay with you till the end of the following month. At which point if you haven't used them you will lose them.

Safety mode is where the "return of unlimited data" comes in. This feature allows you to keep using data, but at a slower speed, if you run out of your allotted 4GLTE data. You will maintain the slower speed until you purchase more LTE data or until your next billing cycle. This is meant to keep you from getting one of those shock bills from overages.

The Mexico and Canada services allows you to carry your existing plan into those countries. You won't have to pay international roaming while in Mexico or Canada. Just use your plan as normal. Also you get unlimited calling from the US to these two countries. Of course Safety mode and international features are provided at an extra charge.

I am still holding on to my randfathered unlimited data plan with a death grip. I won't give it up until Verizon forces me to. Are any of these new features worth giving up your truely unlimited 4G LTE data? Would you pay extra for the Safety Mode to avoid overages?

via Reddit

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Funny, I was on the phone with a tier-two tech support rep just two days ago and mentioned UDP and whether it was ever coming back. He said, "they're working on it", but as it's been said before, I decided it wasn't news-worthy.

IDK, I would have to do some "scenarios" to see what "tier" would be best to start with and also would have do some testing at 3G to see if I can stand it once the 4G runs out, but it could be an alternative to the full-blown UDP I have now.

The "roll-over minutes" is another nice development and I do believe that is actually a bigger piece of news, though it's only rolling over one month. I want to see roll-over minutes being in perpetuity. This would make choosing a tiered plan easier and I'd feel less like I'd not get my money's worth.

Last edited:

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
I can see them doing the rollover data ...it was a nice feature to have when I was with AT&T...nice knowing some months coming in you would have extra GBs....it be great to see the lower speeds without hitting with bill shock ...Do it VZW!

6S PLUS

droidprincess

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Iphone 7 Plus
Twitter
droidprincesstx
I am very excited for this! I'm already on their XL (12gig + 6gig bonus data) plan and with my boys not having wifi at their Father's place we have been getting pretty close to our limit this summer. It would be nice to know that there would not be overages if we did indeed run out of data. I could handle the slower speeds if it saved me money.

I also read last night on Droid life that these features may be included in the XL and XXL plans so I'm excited to see if that is true.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I am very excited for this! I'm already on their XL (12gig + 6gig bonus data) plan and with my boys not having wifi at their Father's place we have been getting pretty close to our limit this summer. It would be nice to know that there would not be overages if we did indeed run out of data. I could handle the slower speeds if it saved me money.

I also read last night on Droid life that these features may be included in the XL and XXL plans so I'm excited to see if that is true.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
When I was on T-Mobile I had this unlimited throttled data thing and it wasn't bad at all. Sure there was buffering on videos and web pages with lots of graphics took whole seconds to load but for the business person just checking their email it was no different than being in a weak LTE area. It was still faster than my craptacular everywhere reception on Verizon. I already had TT set to not show graphics on non Wi-Fi connections so it still loaded pretty fast.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4

<><

Siouxsie

Reaction score
"I am still holding on to my randfathered unlimited data plan with a death grip. I won't give it up until Verizon forces me to."
This is me! Until actually true Unlimited data returns (yes I know it's hoping for that unicorn to show up) I'll hold onto UDP till it's ripped out of my hands.

Sent from somewhere down the rabbit hole.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
"I am still holding on to my randfathered unlimited data plan with a death grip. I won't give it up until Verizon forces me to."
This is me! Until actually true Unlimited data returns (yes I know it's hoping for that unicorn to show up) I'll hold onto UDP till it's ripped out of my hands.

I used to be that way but I feel the data hikes to keep it are getting ridiculous. And it's foolish to spend another $20-40 a month for it.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Since adding my wife to my plan, we come very close to the 6GB cap each month. We've had some promo GBs, so there's been no worry, but I've contemplated going ahead and bumping up to the next plan just to be safe. To get data rolled over on lighter months at no additional charge would be perfect for our piece-of-mind, but I'd also even consider the rumored $5/mo extra for the throttled overage. Cheaper than the next plan up (which would double our GB to 12), but I think it'd be bearable for the last few days of the billing cycle if we happened to use a bit more data than we have been.

Will definitely be looking into the specifics of whatever they announce, but I really do hope they move forward with these rumored options.

Reaction score

I'm right there with you. I will keep it and pay until they rip it out of my hands. I've never had to worry about going over on data and I don't want to start anytime soon. They traumatized me back in the day by nickel and diming voice minutes and texts. I couldn't stand that. The audacity they used to have to charge you for going over on texts was absurd when you know that it had zero effect on them at all.

tech_head

Silver Member
Reaction score
Death grip on four lines of unlimited data. Still under contract until 2017 at $30/line. I also have the $20 loyalty credit per line for data that doesn't go away until 2030 or so. I have been paying $10/line for unlimited data for years.

I have a death grip. I don't let a rep go near my account!

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I'm not affected by the data increases due to where I work but paying $100 a month just for a phone is making me think of the savings by letting UDP go.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
I Currently have 4 Smartphones & 2 LTE Tablets on 6GB Data Plan. I work from home and rarely go out (Ouch the Sun). I never go over on Data since im almost Always on WiFi. I have the Verizon FamilyBase on my Account and have EVERYone on a Set Limit. You go Over and are Wasteful, No Data for you till next Month. I find my 17yr old to go through his allotment in the first 5-7 days, if he was not capped id be up the creek with out a paddle. I actually have yet to have any issues with the 6GB but it would be nice not to constantly monitor my usage and worry if im getting close to my limit. I could live with UDP with Trottling or even Rollover. I found myself actually using my Galaxy Mega i have on FREE RingPlus Service with my 1.2GB Data plan when im out for things like Spotify or other Streaming music on those Rare Occassions. Some day I will be able to say goodbye to my $330 Verizon Bill. Just not today.