Verizon PrePaid Data Also Getting Throttled Unlimited Data

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Last week Verizon announced their new tweaked plans which essentially give you more data for more money. The new plans also feature a "Safety Mode" which once toggled on allows you to instantly switch over to slower throttled data once you have reached your paid limit. The throttled data is unlimited and you won't incur overage charges if Safety Mode is enabled.

Sources say that Verizon will also be bringing the same treatment to the Prepaid plans. "Always-On Data" does not require you to turn on the feature. It automatically kicks in once you have reached your monthly allowance. Once your 4G limit is reached you will be dropped down to 128Kbps. That is ridiculously slow. This may encourage you to up your 4G limit or at least this is what Verizon is banking on im sure.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Are they saying you will definitely be pushed all the way down to 128Kbps? The way I read it the throttling could be as low as 128Kbps but didn't seem to say it couldn't be throttled anywhere from 4G down.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Are they saying you will definitely be pushed all the way down to 128Kbps? The way I read it the throttling could be as low as 128Kbps but didn't seem to say it couldn't be throttled anywhere from 4G down.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
While in Safety Mode, you'll have reduced speeds of 128 Kbps. Video and audio streaming may be impacted while in Safety Mode.

Safety Mode FAQs | Verizon Wireless

Everything I've seen says it drops to 2G.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
You forgot money hungry.

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
These plans will only save you money if you are on current plan. Im on a Legacy plan paying $15/ line. If i switch to a current data plan to get these features, my 4 lines would go up $5 each and plus $10 more for 2GB more a month and $5 for Safety Mode. So it pay $35 more a month. Not saving me anything.