You Will Be Forced Off Unlimited If You Try To Buy A Phone Full Price At A Corporate Verizon Store

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
I was looking on their site for a wireless mifi since it would seem that he could benefit more by having one of them, but AT&T's site is so backwards that I gave up lol.

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score

It would appear that Verizon is trying to do away with us grandfathered unlimited data users once and for all. For the past 3 years I have been buying my phones at full retail price to save my old school Altell plan. This plan gives me 500 minutes to share between myself and my wife, 10 family and friends numbers which are free to call, free calling after 7 and on weekends, unlimited text messages and unlimited data. Many people really wouldn't be able to justify an unlimited data plan, but for my family it is a must. I regularly use 40GB per month while my wife uses nearly 20GB per month. We do nothing abnormal just all the social media, netflix, youtube, and pandora we care to use all without having to worry about a stinking wifi hotspot.

Today I walked into my local Verizon corporate store pretty stoked to be purchasing an LG G4. I literally had my debit card pulled out of my wallet as i walked up to the register. (A little bit of context here I have been buying phones at full retail price now for years. I don't know if the sales reps get a commission off of selling a plan or upgrading a device and get nothing when someone buys a phone retail, but when they see me walk in the store none of them seem happy to see me.) I was already expecting a bit of a struggle. Verizon is the only place that gives me a hard time when trying to hand them cash.

The sales rep that greeted me asked for my number. I gave it to her she pulled up my account and asked if I would be using my upgrade that was available. I told her no in fact I would be buying the phone at full retail cost. Without hesitation she told me the system would automatically kick me off the unlimited plan and force me on another plan even if I bought the phone out right. I told them I wouldn't be interested in losing my unlimited data and they suggested trying to buy my phone from a third party. I called the corporate hotline. They told me that they didn't see any reason why the corporate store would not sell me the phone. They didn't think it would take away my unlimited.

I returned to the store and asked for the manager. I explained to him what the corporate hotline had told me, and he said that we could give it a try, but the last two people who bought a phone outright returned a few days later raising cane because they had been kicked off their unlimited data plan. He said the system didn't show they were being kicked off the data plan, but apparently it had happened automatically when the phones were activated. They were surprised it had happened and they just wanted to make me aware of the situation before i bought a new phone and lost my unlimited data. The only way around this appears to be buying the phone from online and then using your existing sim, or you could buy a phone from a place like bestbuy albiet for an extra $100. I can not find anything official from Verizon stating that they are no longer selling phones at retail in the stores.

Are there any of you still on an unlimited plan? Have you had this same type of experience when trying to buy a phone full retail from a corporate store lately? Please respond with your experiences.
Have you heard of Buy and Sell Used Mobile Phones and Tablets Swappa , that's where I bought my new Note 4, why are you intent on paying FULL retail price for a phone. A brand new mint condition Note 4 sold yesterday for $350. I also sold my S3 there for a good price.

Last edited:

jplemt

Reaction score
Just playing devil's advocate, but once your contract term is up and you are on a month to month basis, isn't the contract null and void as it has outlived it's term? So can't Vzw change your plan or terms at any point beyond that?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
Just playing devil's advocate, but once your contract term is up and you are on a month to month basis, isn't the contract null and void as it has outlived it's term? So can't Vzw change your plan or terms at any point beyond that?

no, the contract is still in affect, the end date simple means you no longer have to pay an ETF to stop service. You've still signed a legally binding contract that they've agreed to uphold as well... so no I don't believe so

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Can't beat that @cybertec69 !
For me personally, I prefer new over used and Swappa doesn't sell "brand new" devIces, which means no manufacturer warranty.
We were actually waiting on developer edition S5s, and after waiting for over a month after initial release, they ended up obtaining root on the Vzw retail model, (sans locked bootloader) so we cancelled our orders for the dev editions and went with the retail version, rooting them both the following day. During that wait time Verizon dropped their price by 50 bucks, as they always do a month after release, so it worked out fine for us.

That said, you CAN find some great deals on Swappa if that's the route you want to go. Being that the Note 4 has been out for a few months, you have a better chance of finding them on Swappa, but you won't find brand new devices listed, and even though we have them insured, the manufacturers warranty is still important to us.
Aside from that it's a much better route to go than say Craigslist.
Congrats on your new Note4!

S5 tap'n

OP
DroidModderX

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Have you heard of Buy and Sell Used Mobile Phones and Tablets Swappa , that's where I bought my new Note 4, why are you intent on paying FULL retail price for a phone. A brand new mint condition Note 4 sold yesterday for $350. I also sold my S3 there for a good price.

i actually bought a slightly used VZW LG G4 on swappa today. I ended up saving nearly $100. I normally need to purchase the device brand new though as i need them the day of release for my youtube channel.

OP
DroidModderX

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

True I am off contract on one line. When the Note 3 came out I was able to reup my unlimited contract for 2 years and get that device at the subsidized price due to a site glitch. That contract will be done in October I think so ill be 100% contract free at that point

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
For me personally, I prefer new over used and Swappa doesn't sell "brand new" devIces, which means no manufacturer warranty.
We were actually waiting on developer edition S5s, and after waiting for over a month after initial release, they ended up obtaining root on the Vzw retail model, (sans locked bootloader) so we cancelled our orders for the dev editions and went with the retail version, rooting them both the following day. During that wait time Verizon dropped their price by 50 bucks, as they always do a month after release, so it worked out fine for us.

That said, you CAN find some great deals on Swappa if that's the route you want to go. Being that the Note 4 has been out for a few months, you have a better chance of finding them on Swappa, but you won't find brand new devices listed, and even though we have them insured, the manufacturers warranty is still important to us.

S5 tap'n
I sold a 100% brand new iphone still sealed on swappa once... so it does happen

AND having the TEC through verizon extends the manufacturer warranty indefinitely... I've added devices on my line that were okay when I bought them used... then they broke down 6 months later and I used the extended warranty to replace it.

Reactions: cr6

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score

S5 tap'n
You get the manufacturer warranty, as long as the device is not more than one year old.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
That must be something new or manufacturer related because Samsung devices have ALWAYS been "original owner". Otherwise how do you prove a devices true age?

S5 tap'n

TatDroid

Reaction score
no, the contract is still in affect, the end date simple means you no longer have to pay an ETF to stop service. You've still signed a legally binding contract that they've agreed to uphold as well... so no I don't believe so
That's not how I understand it. After 24 months your contract ends, which is why they call it "off contract". My understanding is that you then go on a month-to-month basis, with each month continuing the terms that had been in effect during the previous contract. However, on a month-to-month contract either party may terminate or change the terms with 30 days notice. Verizon is under no legal obligation to continue it forever, but does it to avoid negative backlash.

Sent from my Droid Turbo

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
Are we really having this debate again? I always look for these posts on DF, as they seem to appear whenever a thread regarding Unlimited data appears.

50GB / month may seem like a lot now, but will it seem like a lot 5 years from now? Who knows, but I highly doubt it. Things are changing so fast, that by the time 2020 comes around, Verizon may have plans that begin at 10 Gigs per month at the same price point that 2 GB has now, because data is relevant to the consumer who has a smartphone. The more relevant it becomes, the better services from T-Mobile will look (ref: unlimited data).

Also, smartphones are becoming smarter. Every iteration of device improves on the CPU and memory (but fails with the battery and storage space, but that's another comment). Yes, I want to use my phone for everything, because it's my primary Internet enabled computer. If this is my primary device, then Unlimited data makes financial sense.

It may not seem like a lot 5 years from now. How is that relevant?

How much data should they give you for $30 a month? Put out a number that you feel your measly $30 entitles you to, indefinitely?

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
I agree with @liftedplane. (Seems like this discussion pops up every month) SMH It gets me how quick people are to judge others for how they use THEIR unlimited data. We all use our devices differently. Just because one person barely uses 2gb a month doesn't mean we should all use that much, let alone "ration" what we do use. We have kept our unlimited plans for a reason and we've purchased our devices outright in order to do so.
I stream music & podcasts ALL day at work....we're not allowed to use company WiFi for personal use, which is fine with me since I wouldn't use it even if we were allowed. I also watch (on average) 15-20 gig a month worth of YouTube. Which equates to about 45 min a day, which isn't much imo. The point is, it adds up quick and carrier's know that and that's why they want to profit from it, not because its negatively impacting their network. I refuse to use public unsecured WiFi ANYWHERE. Why should I when I have a solid 4G signal with an unlimited plan?
That said, if Verizon wants to do away with it for good than so be it, I'm sure I'll survive and find an alternate option. Until that day comes, viva unlimited!
Great comment @akhenax,...I thought the same thing...."here we go again". lol

S5 tap'n

It isn't about how much I use. It is about the business model changing, you guys have been lucky enough to collect a bonus as long as you have, but it will come to an end. Expecting to get the same unlimited data plan that you got in 2007, when that data plan WAS the top priced plan, is unrealistic in 2015. Now you are paying for the 2GB plan and getting 50GB+ per month. Awesome if you can get it, but EXPECTING it is unrealistic in the long term...

I would love for cars and motorcycles to cost the same as I paid 10 years ago, but it just isn't gonna happen.

We used to pay $15 a month for home internet, but those days are gone. Cable TV used to be $25 a month... no more...

We also know that many of the complainers, are people who use their phone as a wifi hotspot for other devices... hence when every new version of the OS comes out, those same people are the first ones to ask if the wifi hotspot hacks still work before they upgrade... LOL

I don't care how much you use. If you are that guy with your nose glued to your phone 24/7 and you use 50GB a month, what do I care?

It's the carriers that care, which is why they are killing off these old plans that they haven't sold in years, but that you have still gotten to enjoy all this time. Frankly, I would be thankful that you got to keep it this long...

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
That's not how I understand it. After 24 months your contract ends, which is why they call it "off contract". My understanding is that you then go on a month-to-month basis, with each month continuing the terms that had been in effect during the previous contract. However, on a month-to-month contract either party may terminate or change the terms with 30 days notice. Verizon is under no legal obligation to continue it forever, but does it to avoid negative backlash.

Sent from my Droid Turbo

You are correct. Once the contract expires, either party is free to terminate or modify the terms... That they haven't in all this time, is a bonus... but it should not be a perpetual entitlement...

If a candy store gives you a free chocolate every afternoon as you walk home from school, and it does so for years... but one day the management decides to stop giving out free samples for whatever reason... Going in and demanding that they continue to give you free stuff, because they have for the past few years isn't very... realistic. Be thankful that you got 3 years of free candy. :)