wont flash jb roms

deno24

Reaction score
So yea that's my dilemma. Tried to flash aokp milestone 1 back in may and it bootlooped on stock android bootscreen. Had to recover with toolkit. Tried flashing another 4.2.2 rom and same result, so after many failed attempts at flashing custom jb roms I gave up and just ran stock rooted. Well this past weekend I figured I'd try a ics based rom and it worked ( sourcery ics 2.0) so I can flash up to 4.0.4 but not 4.1.x or higher. Any thoughts ? I want my JB!!!!

huskerkate

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
sounds like you just need to flash the JB bootloader first, and then the rom - you're probably still on the ics bootloader.

http://d-h.st/jcO

Last edited:
OP
D

deno24

Reaction score
im about to try your suggestion, but doesnt the rom flash appropriate boot loader? so flash bootloader no wiping? then flash rom as usual?

well no luck let it boot for 12 min and assumes it looped again. i just cant figure this out

Last edited:

huskerkate

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
sounds like you may also have a corrupt dl of the rom. re-dl the rom, and check md5. (or, you may try a different rom altogether - RapedApe, Vanir, Carbon, XenonHD, Xylon are my current favs.) also, what recovery are you using? i HIGHLY recommend TWRP (because most devs do) over CWM. once you have installed TWRP and re-dl'd the rom, then:
1. flash jb bootloader
2. flash jb radios (optional)
3. wipe data and cache
4. flash rom and gapps
5. reboot

it's been so long that i can't really remember, but i believe the first boot takes quite a long time - maybe 15-20 mins+...

if that doesn't resolve the issue, then you may have to start from scratch, as it kinda seems like something didn't "take" when you unlocked and rooted:
1. copy your entire internal storage to your PC or thumb drive
2. unroot and re-lock your device
3. unlock and re-root.
4. install TWRP
5. flash jb bootloader
6. flash jb rom.

good luck!

OP
D

deno24

Reaction score
sounds like you may also have a corrupt dl of the rom. re-dl the rom, and check md5. (or, you may try a different rom altogether - RapedApe, Vanir, Carbon, XenonHD, Xylon are my current favs.) also, what recovery are you using? i HIGHLY recommend TWRP (because most devs do) over CWM. once you have installed TWRP and re-dl'd the rom, then:
1. flash jb bootloader
2. flash jb radios (optional)
3. wipe data and cache
4. flash rom and gapps
5. reboot

it's been so long that i can't really remember, but i believe the first boot takes quite a long time - maybe 15-20 mins+...

if that doesn't resolve the issue, then you may have to start from scratch, as it kinda seems like something didn't "take" when you unlocked and rooted:
1. copy your entire internal storage to your PC or thumb drive
2. unroot and re-lock your device
3. unlock and re-root.
4. install TWRP
5. flash jb bootloader
6. flash jb rom.

good luck!

im using twrp,guess i will save entire internal to pc and try starting fresh per your advice. will post back as soon as i finish. sometime tomorrow. thx

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
It is strange that you can't get JB to run on your device, as there should be no reason it can't unless something weird has happened like perhaps your partitions are messed up. But I think that would error out in recovery or whatever you are trying to flash with. E2A: What I mean by this is that some updates for some other devices, actually become unstable as they slightly overclock the device, or make some other changes that make it so that some people genuinely have problems. Being an AOSP device this shouldn't happen. Nor have I seen anyone on the internet having a similar problem.

So I have some questions to perhaps try and troubleshoot this:

What are your install methods? Specifically are you installing a kernel, or any other sort of modifications? And are you wiping prior to flashing?

Can you get anything JB to run?

Have you tried to use flashing the latest factory images of 4.2 via fastboot ( https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images )? Pay attention to which device you grab as there are 3 different Galaxy Nexus devices, Maguro (GSM), toro (VZW), and toroplus(Sprint). Also note that depending on how you do this, it can wipe everything on your device (including sdcard).

Last edited:
OP
D

deno24

Reaction score
standard wipe using twrp, wont boot anything JB. havent tried a factory 4.2 yet prolly my next endeavor. Ive flashed dozens of roms to this phone including JB. only thing, and i dont know how it relates, when flashing, twrp says "cant boot EFS" just got through locking and unlocking using im76k factory img. same result, no JB, prolly buy another Gnex soon so as not to loose unlimited data.if i cant get this resolved.

Last edited:
OP
D

deno24

Reaction score

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
thx ill try that. kids got my wifi tether tied up with netflix at the moment, i will report back as to what happens, which stock img do you recomend i flash and should i lock the phone again and start from scratch?

i wouldnt start from scratch
its up to you on which to flash, i would use the most recent build, also after you setup the phone check for updates encase the tool doesnt have the latest build.
if there is an update take it, when its done and booted and settled for a few minutes, check again for updates. some times they are in sequence and it needs to do one, and then another.
when your convinced its up to date, root, cwm, etc, get your flash on lol
good luck!