Tried flashing my first ROM....

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
I just tried again. This time I downloaded the AOKP zip to my PC , then placed it on my SD card as root. I flashed the rom following the " How to load custom ROM on Samsung Galaxy Nexus" video on YouTube. I rebooted and the phone stayed on the Google logo with the unlocked padlock screen. Never booted . I tried it twice.

I didn't follow the suggested instructions to delete the file because truthfully I didn't know what it was. So now I am asking how to resolve the issue.

Thankful again that I backed up everything, so I'm not afraid to try again. I am determined to flash a custom rom tonight!!!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

Ok, I'll give you a step my step to load your first ROM successfully.

1. Just to be double sure your recovery is installed correctly, open Rom Manager and click "Flash Clockworkmod Recovery." Make sure to select CDMA. Let it finish doing whatever it does, then reboot your phone.

2. When you power your phone back up you will need to delete the file mentioned before. The file is called "recovery-from-boot.p" and is located in your system folder. You'll need some sort of file explorer to delete it. When this file is present, it forces your phone to boot into the stock recovery. When you delete it, it allows your phone to boot into Clockwork recovery, which is what you need. If the above mentioned file is missing, no worries, you're good to go.

3. After this, power down your phone. Hold the volume up and down button then press the power button until it vibrates. This will get you into the bootloader.

4. From here, press volume down until you see "Recovery Mode." Press the power button.

5. Now you're in clockwork. Once you have a custom rom installed, booting into recovery will be a power menu option - much easier.

6. Prep for install:
  • make a backup (you probably already have one)
  • wipe data/factory reset - click this, let it finish
  • go to advanced and select wipe dalvik cache
  • go back to the first menu
  • select install zip from sd card
    • choose zip from sd card
    • find where you put your ROM and Gapps (Don't forget the Gapps!!! Nearly every Rom requires these.)
    • first, install the ROM, when that finishes, install the Gapps
7. Go back to the first menu and select reboot system now
8. Be advised, your first boot may take up to five minutes. Let it sit. If it goes over five minutes, pull the battery and try booting again. If you still have issues after this, we'll address it then.

OP
SwagTech

SwagTech

Reaction score
I'm getting a message when trying to delete the "recovery-from- boot.p" file. It won't let me delete because the file system is read only.
And the actual name of the file is Recovery-from-boot.p.bak, if this makes a difference.. So what do I do now?

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm getting a message when trying to delete the "recovery-from- boot.p" file. It won't let me delete because the file system is read only.
And the actual name of the file is Recovery-from-boot.p.bak, if this makes a difference.. So what do I do now?

You have to give R/W permissions if you want to modify a system file. Using Root explorer? You can just click the R/O in the top right hand corner to give R/W permissions. And if its .bak it shouldn't be overwriting clockwork recovery but there's really no harm in deleting it....I'd then try fast booting clockwork again.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

OP
SwagTech

SwagTech

Reaction score
I have explorer, so I need to download root explorer?

OP
SwagTech

SwagTech

Reaction score
Well I followed the instructions carefully, I was even able to delete the recovery-from-boot.p.bak file. I was still unsuccessful!!. I waited more than 5 mins for the phone to boot up. Still all I got was Google and the unlocked padlock. I guess I'm throwing in the towel. Still in love with my Gnex though. I guess I will wait for 4.0.5

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
Shot in the dark here, but are you sure you're flashing a full ROM and not just a theme? That might explain not being able to boot past the Google logo.

OP
SwagTech

SwagTech

Reaction score
Honestly I'm not sure anymore. I downloaded from a site. Can you direct me to a legitimate site? Or what Rom to flash...

OP
SwagTech

SwagTech

Reaction score
Thanks for your help and patience!! Seriously

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
No problem. Let us know if you get it going.

OP
SwagTech

SwagTech

Reaction score
I have successfully flashed my first ROM!!!!!. I want to thank all of you for your help!. I wish I could tip you all. I'm like a lil kid on Xmas. My apps are downloading at the moment. I don't know what to do next..lol.
So what do you think the problem was? Maybe I was doing something wrong and didn't realize it.
Thank you again!!

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have successfully flashed my first ROM!!!!!. I want to thank all of you for your help!. I wish I could tip you all. I'm like a lil kid on Xmas. My apps are downloading at the moment. I don't know what to do next..lol.
So what do you think the problem was? Maybe I was doing something wrong and didn't realize it.
Thank you again!!

Best advice I can give is only download your roms from here, xda or rootzwiki. Make sure you have the cdma/toro build and not the gms build. And finally verify your md5 checksum before you flash to make sure your download isn't corrupt.

I think your issue was either a questionable download or a bad md5.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

OP
SwagTech

SwagTech

Reaction score
I noticed the md5 check sum while flashing the rom. Can you tell me what that is, or how to check it ..I don't know what I'm looking for.

Also, I'm not seeing amazing batter life and signal improvement. Do I need to change some kernel settings or is this a matter of turning down display, using a black wallpaper etc.?

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
I noticed the md5 check sum while flashing the rom. Can you tell me what that is, or how to check it ..I don't know what I'm looking for.

Also, I'm not seeing amazing batter life and signal improvement. Do I need to change some kernel settings or is this a matter of turning down display, using a black wallpaper etc.?

MD5 is a checksum, which allows you to verify data integrity. Basically it is a 32 character string that is generated for a file (given to you by the developer), then once you complete the download you can generate an MD5. They should match. I haven't used any of the offerings in the market, but https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=sa.afv <-- that seems to be decent. There are many other choices in the market though. There are ways to verify on your PC if you want to do it that way.

As for better battery life. Changing to a ROM/kernel whatever isn't going to instantly change your battery life. ROMs and kernels can include various tweaks that can increase battery life, or at least allow you to potentially increase battery life. But it is just a few of the many many many variables that determine battery drain.

There are kernel settings you can tweak that potentially can increase your battery life. Using a slower governor, decreasing voltage if possible (lower the voltage the better, but not all devices can handle lower voltages or handle the same low voltages), changing the gamma and colors even can help a bit. Turning the brightness most certainly can help too, as dim as you can tolerate. Dark colors help as well, if your apps have a dark theme version it may not be a terrible idea to use it. Twitter, facebook, web browser, and many other apps tend to be white with black text. A dark wallpaper will only help if you spend most of your time on your home screen. At lower brightnesses this doesn't help in huge ways black and white apparently have similar power draw, at higher brightnesses they separate.