Tried flashing my first ROM....

SwagTech

Reaction score
I tried flashing my first rom last night.. and I #failed. I chose the AOKP rom and the Franco kernel. I made sure to install the gapps as well. During the flashing process I noticed a red triangle in the belly of the android mascot, but I continued on. Needless to say when I rebooted, my phone was wiped clean without the custom rom.
However, this trial was not a complete failure. I did take the necessary precautions and backed up everything and I mean Everything. I will attempt again this weekend, but this time I will try to flash the other way. I tried flashing via the app. Maybe that was the problem. I will try this time by following a YouTube video , and copying and paste the zip file into the SD card manually.
I want to be in the Android/ Galaxy Nexus Rooting family.. so please help me and make my next attempt a success.
Don't send me to a iPhone :( I promise to do better.. lol

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

kptphalkon

Reaction score
You should be able to download the ROM.zip straight to your phone o_O

What went wrong? Idk. I've honestly never heard of an install wiping the phone clean.

OP
SwagTech

SwagTech

Reaction score
Yea when I downloaded the rom, a pre installation prompt was asking to wipe the delvic cache? And wipe and reset phone.. I checked both options.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing you used ROM Manager?

It sounds like your custom recovery was wiped in the process of unlocking/rooting and setting up your phone. You have to make sure you remove the recovery-from-boot.p (in the main /system directory IIRC) file and then reflash your recovery. Or reflash your recovery in ROM Manager immediately before you download/flash the ROM.

But I'm also assuming a bit based on what you said... :)

pool_shark

Reaction score
I've read that the ROM tools can cause issues installing the ROM.
I downloaded using the apps, but flashed from CWM.

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
I tried flashing my first rom last night.. and I #failed. I chose the AOKP rom and the Franco kernel. I made sure to install the gapps as well. During the flashing process I noticed a red triangle in the belly of the android mascot, but I continued on. Needless to say when I rebooted, my phone was wiped clean without the custom rom.
However, this trial was not a complete failure. I did take the necessary precautions and backed up everything and I mean Everything. I will attempt again this weekend, but this time I will try to flash the other way. I tried flashing via the app. Maybe that was the problem. I will try this time by following a YouTube video , and copying and paste the zip file into the SD card manually.
I want to be in the Android/ Galaxy Nexus Rooting family.. so please help me and make my next attempt a success.
Don't send me to a iPhone :( I promise to do better.. lol

Lets try to narrow this down:

1. Are you a Verizon user?
2. You said you chose AOKP and Franco. How did you get these? Be specific (manual download? Rom Manager? Franco Kernel Updater?).
3. How did you try to install these? Again, be specific (Rom Manager? Clockwork recovery?).
4. You mentioned a red triangle in the belly of Android. Was this in Clockwork or the bootloader?
5. How did you unlock the bootloader? How did you root? How did you flash clockwork? Again, be specific as it will help to narrow down what's wrong.

OP
SwagTech

SwagTech

Reaction score
I have the CDMA version Galaxy Nexus (Verizon ). I unlocked the bootloader and rooted with help from the Galaxy Nexus root tool kit that I downloaded to my PC. I visited galaxy nexus root.com to get the rom and kernel.

Once downloaded, I completed the action using ROM manager. This is where the rom pre installation guide popped up. I had the choice of backing up existing rom, wipe data and cache( which I selected) and wipe dalvik cache(which I also selected).

I want to get your thoughts before I continue detailing the process ..

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
have you tried making sure that file I mentioned is removed and reflashing recovery yet?

OP
SwagTech

SwagTech

Reaction score
No not yet, I'm still at work. I will try this later. Just wanted to get info on what I probably did wrong.. I will try this weekend

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Man you're more disciplined than me. If something isn't working right on my phone, I have to fix it immediately - it's almost obsessive. :biggrin:

OP
SwagTech

SwagTech

Reaction score
Lol.. not disciplined just afraid.. I was able to locate the zip files I downloaded. I'm looking through the rom manager and in the downloads folder I see many roms and gapps that I downloaded. Previously I was looking in the su.zip folder and it was always empty. I'm going to try again in a few. I will let you know what happened.

I really appreciate the time you all are giving me. Hopefully I will be able to do this without thinking. But for now you have to explain it to me like a 2yr old.

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have the CDMA version Galaxy Nexus (Verizon ). I unlocked the bootloader and rooted with help from the Galaxy Nexus root tool kit that I downloaded to my PC. I visited galaxy nexus root.com to get the rom and kernel.

Once downloaded, I completed the action using ROM manager. This is where the rom pre installation guide popped up. I had the choice of backing up existing rom, wipe data and cache( which I selected) and wipe dalvik cache(which I also selected).

I want to get your thoughts before I continue detailing the process ..

When you're ready to take the plunge again, do as jntdroid instructed and delete that file. After that, ditch Rom Manager or any other automated flashing app. Don't use it to download your rom/kernel and don't use it to install the rom. Apps like these can cause issues. You're best option is to go to Rootzwiki/XDA/or here and download your rom and kernel manually to your phone. Verify the MD5 and boot manually into Clockwork recovery. Once here, you have full control over wiping existing data and installing the rom and kernel to ensure everything goes the way it should. In my opinion, an app like Rom Manager takes too much control away from the user.

I'm sure all of the above sound overwhelming, but it's really not. Once you do it once you'll be amazed at how easy this stuff is. If you have questions about ANYTHING, just ask.

OP
SwagTech

SwagTech

Reaction score
I just tried again. This time I downloaded the AOKP zip to my PC , then placed it on my SD card as root. I flashed the rom following the " How to load custom ROM on Samsung Galaxy Nexus" video on YouTube. I rebooted and the phone stayed on the Google logo with the unlocked padlock screen. Never booted . I tried it twice.

I didn't follow the suggested instructions to delete the file because truthfully I didn't know what it was. So now I am asking how to resolve the issue.

Thankful again that I backed up everything, so I'm not afraid to try again. I am determined to flash a custom rom tonight!!!

OP
SwagTech

SwagTech

Reaction score
I just downloaded explorer and I was able to locate the recovery-from-boot.p
You want me to delete this??? And then what? I try to flash again? Thanks again

I'm starting to like this, I hope I don't brick my phone though