anyone else try a jb rom, and go back to an ics because of the lack of features?

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
Pete's Bugless has absolutely phenomenal battery life, however, its nearly bare bones stock at this point. One bonus to lack of features though is stability, which Bugless is second to none.

Pete keeping up the incredible work he started on the OG Droid - pretty awesome.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Man im thinking ima love clean aosp. May not be pretty but battery life is awesome. I know how to find apps and widgets from the market to make it work.

View attachment 54429

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
Man im thinking ima love clean aosp. May not be pretty but battery life is awesome. I know how to find apps and widgets from the market to make it work.

View attachment 54429

This is a little off topic, but your SS made me think of it (not entirely sure why). But I am very much looking forward to more apps making use of the notification pull down "expand" feature. Like this one:

View attachment 54431 View attachment 54432

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Which app is that?

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Ill check it out, thanks.

billyk

Reaction score
Pete's Bugless has absolutely phenomenal battery life, however, its nearly bare bones stock at this point. One bonus to lack of features though is stability, which Bugless is second to none.

Pete keeping up the incredible work he started on the OG Droid - pretty awesome.

Hey SBenson,
I am looking specifically for longer battery life. I am using Vicious (my first ROM), and it's certainly stable, but battery life is not so good. Maybe Bugless is the way to go? What types of features are you talking about when you say BB might not have enough features? I am new to JB and I don't need/use anything exotic. What might I be missing that I am now getting in Vicious, if I go for BB?

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
^The thing is what might work well for one phone may not work well for yours. Best bet is to try different rom and kernel combos and you will find one that rocks!

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
^The thing is what might work well for one phone may not work well for yours. Best bet is to try different rom and kernel combos and you will find one that rocks!

Honestly, you nailed it. The minor hardware differences in each phone bring way too many variables into the mix. I've tried almost every JB ROM. Some work well for me, others don't.

With that being said, I tried Bugless on a whim for the hell of it, and so far I've been blown away. It's virtually stock, with a few minor tweaks. The main thing is tethering is unlocked. Visually, this thing is bare stock. Very smooth, 100% stable, and ultra fast.

For me, as far as battery life goes, Bugless absolutely destroys every other ROM I've EVER tried on my Nexus. Over the past four days since flashing I'm averaging about 30 hours (according to Gsam) on a full charge. Normal usage, half wifi/half 4g and about 2 hours of screen time on per day. Before Bugless I was averaging about 16 hours per day on various ROMs, so I don't fully understand what Pete does, but I like it.

Anyway, if you like stock and your goal is battery life I think its worth a flash just to see if it plays nice with your phone.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

rubiksc00p

Reaction score
Somewhere on this amazing ball of creation!
JB is fantastic... I went first with Axi0m... Great, then started getting buggy a little while ago, went to winner00's build and it's been pretty good so far. I will definitely be going to BB though. I definitely agree that one of my favorite things is the expandable notifications! I love the fact that it give me multiple emails! I've been waiting impatiently for that forever it seems like! =P DancingNexus I can wait a little for features. ;)

OH... benson... I still say your phone has a magical battery glow around it. Somehow you can get tons of battery life out of any rom! :hail: :p

billyk

Reaction score
Honestly, you nailed it. The minor hardware differences in each phone bring way too many variables into the mix. I've tried almost every JB ROM. Some work well for me, others don't.

With that being said, I tried Bugless on a whim for the hell of it, and so far I've been blown away. It's virtually stock, with a few minor tweaks. The main thing is tethering is unlocked. Visually, this thing is bare stock. Very smooth, 100% stable, and ultra fast.

For me, as far as battery life goes, Bugless absolutely destroys every other ROM I've EVER tried on my Nexus. Over the past four days since flashing I'm averaging about 30 hours (according to Gsam) on a full charge. Normal usage, half wifi/half 4g and about 2 hours of screen time on per day. Before Bugless I was averaging about 16 hours per day on various ROMs, so I don't fully understand what Pete does, but I like it.

Anyway, if you like stock and your goal is battery life I think its worth a flash just to see if it plays nice with your phone.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

SBenson - you are like that devil on my shoulder, prodding me to make the move! I've heard such great things about BB, maybe I'll give it a go. Here's where I can use some support/guidance, if I may ask...

My unlook/root experience was not very smooth - lots of complications. I am running Vicious now and it's rock-solid, but not good on battery. I have Titanium BU, CWMTouch that I use via ROM Manager. I have some concerns that I can hose-up a switch to another ROM. It's the back-up and wiping that I am unsure about.

1. In Titanium, I backed up my apps using "Back Up User Apps". After I switch to a new ROM, do I then choose "Restore All Apps with Data? I think so, but the backup phase doesn't say that it's capturing the app data - confusing!

2. In CWM, I do a "Backup", under "Backup and Restore". Is this a Nandroid? How does this differ from just choosing "Backup Current ROM"?

3. In CWM, I select “Wipe cache partition” and then select “Advanced” and “Wipe Dalvik Cache”. Is there more wiping functions that I need to use?

I think I've got it after that! Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
SBenson - you are like that devil on my shoulder, prodding me to make the move! I've heard such great things about BB, maybe I'll give it a go. Here's where I can use some support/guidance, if I may ask...

My unlook/root experience was not very smooth - lots of complications. I am running Vicious now and it's rock-solid, but not good on battery. I have Titanium BU, CWMTouch that I use via ROM Manager. I have some concerns that I can hose-up a switch to another ROM. It's the back-up and wiping that I am unsure about.

1. In Titanium, I backed up my apps using "Back Up User Apps". After I switch to a new ROM, do I then choose "Restore All Apps with Data? I think so, but the backup phase doesn't say that it's capturing the app data - confusing!

2. In CWM, I do a "Backup", under "Backup and Restore". Is this a Nandroid? How does this differ from just choosing "Backup Current ROM"?

3. In CWM, I select “Wipe cache partition” and then select “Advanced” and “Wipe Dalvik Cache”. Is there more wiping functions that I need to use?

I think I've got it after that! Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Pete's an awesome dev. I used Bugless back on my OG Droid and nothing ever ran as good as his ROM.

Sorry your rooting has not been seamless thus far, I'll help where I can. For starters, I moved away from CWM Touch, and now use TWRP. Honestly, I think it's far superior to Clockwork. If you want to flash it and give it a shot, just download GooManager Beta from the Play Store. Once installed, tap the menu (top-right) and then choose "Install OpenRecoveryScript." This will automatically install TWRP Recovery without Wug's Kit or ADB.

If you choose to stick with CWM Touch, I'll do my best to guide you by memory.

Anyway, I'll explain my backup procedure, which you could apply to your phone.
  1. Open Titanium (make sure you have the paid version, the free version won't let you auto-restore) and click the paper/checkmark button. Under the Batch Backup/Restore - All menu, click run for "Backup all user apps." On the next page will be a list of your user apps. All the apps with a checkmark will have the app AND app data backed up. You can scroll through the list to make sure everything is checked, but it should be by default. If all looks good, click the green checkmark (top-right) and let it do its thing. When it's done you'll get a notification.
  2. If you use Google Wallet, reset it now. Open Google Wallet, enter your PIN, then click the menu (top-right), select settings, then "Reset Google Wallet." When it's done, back out of the app. If you don't use Google Wallet, ignore this step.
  3. Boot into recovery, either manually, through Rom Manager, through GooManager or through a reboot menu if Vicious has one. Once into recovery, the process as a whole should be fundamentally similar between CWM and TWRP. Click backup and restore, then backup, confirm. I'm not sure what Backup Current ROM does. This will take a few minutes depending on how many apps you have.
  4. Once your backup is done you'll need to wipe. Now, there's a lot of old processes floating around regarding how to do this with redundant steps. When flashing a brand new ROM, all you need to do is wipe system and for the hell of it, factory restore. When these are done, it takes care of wiping the cache, dalvik, battery stats, etc. There's absolutely no need to do these separately. So, in CWMR, click mounts and storage and then select format system. After that's done, back out and then select wipe data/factory reset. When those are both done, you should be 100% ready to flash your ROM.
  5. Flash Bugless. No Gapps are unnecessary.
  6. Once the flash is complete, reboot.
  7. Once booted, wait for data connection, then enter your Google account. Let it set up and restore. Once it's done and your on your homepage, immediately put your phone into airplane mode. Pull down notification, tap menu, More..., then check Airplane mode.
  8. Now open Titanium. On first run of Titanium it will ask you if you want to restore device id. Select yes and wait for it to reboot. After a reboot you'll be ready for restoring.
  9. Open Titanium again and select the paper/checkmark button. This time, scroll down to restore and select "Restore all apps with data." This step takes special attention because you DO NOT want to restore ANY system apps. When you're viewing the list for "Restore all apps with data", scroll down and UN-CHECK any app that's red. Once you're done with that, tap the green checkmark and let it finish. This will probably take several minutes depending on how many apps you have. I restore about 150 apps and it takes anywhere between 5-10 minutes.
  10. When done restoring, back out and take your phone out of airplane mode and then reboot.
  11. When you boot back up you may have to go into the play store and download certain Google apps. I'll leave this to your discretion if you're missing anything.
  12. If you restored Google Voice, your going to have to set it up again. Go to your phone app > menu > settings > Voicemail > Service > then select Google Voice and let it set up.
  13. You also might have to make sure your Google apps are syncing. Pull down notification, click settings > scroll down to accounts and select Google > click your account and then make sure everything is checked.
After this you should be good to go. Good luck and I hope Bugless treats you as well as it does for me.

billyk

Reaction score
Hey SBenson:
THANKS!

I am in the process now.
BTW, how does one start up TiBu once the phone has been wiped? Maybe it'll make sense when I get there in a few minutes??

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
Hey SBenson:
THANKS!

I am in the process now.
BTW, how does one start up TiBu once the phone has been wiped? Maybe it'll make sense when I get there in a few minutes??

In TiBu there is an option to create an update.zip. Press the menu button > create "update.zip" (scroll down list as it is near bottom) . Select Edify (should be selected by default) The other two are options are user preference. I personally put it as a user application (installs to /data partition opposed to /system partition), and set the name to Titaniumbackup*version*. You can flash that after you flashed everything else in recovery.