Wireless N

Dougw133

Reaction score
I was excited when I saw that the bionic supported Draft 802.11 N. However, on 2ghzN I standing next to my router i only get 65mbps. Is there a limit on the chip?

I am talking about connection speed state and not transfer speeds. The standard draft is 300mbps which all of my N devices connect at when close enough.

Last edited:

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well I don't believe it's dual band so it will probably never reach it's theoretical speed limits.

And you don't think 65mbps is fast enough??? I barely get 30 mbps on my wifi.

Knowpig

Reaction score
Wow. What will you be connecting to that will give you anything even close to that?

Sent from my Casio Droidwatch using PFM.

Seapup

Reaction score
I was excited when I saw that the bionic supported Draft 802.11 N. However, on 2ghzN I standing next to my router i only get 65mbps. Is there a limit on the chip?

The most I've seen is 65Mbps also. It must be a limitation because I get close to 120Mbps on my laptop using the same 2.4GHz frequency.

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
Lets try this again. We'll keep this open as long as you're here to help. All other posts will be deleted and will receive infractions. No more warnings.

fiancer

Reaction score
Wireless N Speed

Wow. What will you be connecting to that will give you anything even close to that?

Sent from my Casio Droidwatch using PFM.

What about watching an HD video off of your home network on your mobile 65Mbps is really slow compared to 300 Mbps.

Snow02

Reaction score
What about watching an HD video off of your home network on your mobile 65Mbps is really slow compared to 300 Mbps.

That is more than fast enough. Your phone can't play a video with a high enough bitrate to saturate that anyways.

OP
D

Dougw133

Reaction score
Oh...here we go...Guys, I understand the argument of need vs. want. I am not arguing with either, I am simply pointing out that DRAFT 802.11N is a standard rate of 300Mbps as 802.11G is 54Mbps. We are seeing 65Mbps. That is like seeing only 11Mpbs on G. You then would notice. I DO notice, when transferring files wirelesley I am transferring at G speeds and not N speeds.

fiancer

Reaction score
That is more than fast enough. Your phone can't play a video with a high enough bitrate to saturate that anyways.

Ok I'll bye that, but what if you want to copy 7GB of MP3's over your wirless network to your phone. I have 2, one Windows Vista, and one Windows 7 home made (Fry's) Media Center PC's Running 2 32" LCD TV's the Winows 7 PC even has a Blue Ray Player. When I record an HD TV Show on One PC and watch it on the other PC Wirless G is to slow (The movie playback is very chopy) I either had to run cables all through my attic or get a Wireless N setup. Before Wireless N I had a 1GB Switch because even the 100Mbps cable was too slow for fast forward and rewind not to be chopy. With Wireless N it works fine. A 2 hour HD recording in Media Center is 16GB, that is not going to copy over to my phone very fast at 65Mbps. This is why I would like to see Somebody figure out how to get the Wirless N on the Droid's to go full speed. I have the Droid X and my wife has the Bionic. I had a Devour when they first came out but I got so mad at that phone that I smashed it to smitherines about a year ago.

BlownSi05

Reaction score
Remember that 802.11N is still in DRAFT, meaning that the max possible speed of 320 Mbps is a theoretical maximum and not necessarily what you will get all the time. Not sure about this, but 65 Mbps could be the max of the wireless in the phone itself. A good test of that would be if you could find someone with a Simultaneous Dual-Band router that runs the N signal over 5 gHz and see what happens. It's what I use at my house, but alas, I have an iPhone right now and hopefully will be getting back into a Droid in the next month.

Snow02

Reaction score
Ok I'll bye that, but what if you want to copy 7GB of MP3's over your wirless network to your phone. I have 2, one Windows Vista, and one Windows 7 home made (Fry's) Media Center PC's Running 2 32" LCD TV's the Winows 7 PC even has a Blue Ray Player. When I record an HD TV Show on One PC and watch it on the other PC Wirless G is to slow (The movie playback is very chopy) I either had to run cables all through my attic or get a Wireless N setup. Before Wireless N I had a 1GB Switch because even the 100Mbps cable was too slow for fast forward and rewind not to be chopy. With Wireless N it works fine. A 2 hour HD recording in Media Center is 16GB, that is not going to copy over to my phone very fast at 65Mbps. This is why I would like to see Somebody figure out how to get the Wirless N on the Droid's to go full speed. I have the Droid X and my wife has the Bionic. I had a Devour when they first came out but I got so mad at that phone that I smashed it to smitherines about a year ago.

I get that, but my initial point - that there is no way your phone will play a 2 hour long 16GB video - still stands. We'll ignore the fact that even attempting to play a 16GB file on your phone isn't possible due to the file size limitation.

But as far as transferring data goes, your phone isn't able to write data faster than what 65mbps would allow anyways, and is the likely reason for the limitation, as I'm sure there's a battery drain trade-off running at full N speed as well.