DROIDs and Wi-Fi Link Speed

rherron

Reaction score
Just curious what people's real-world experience is connecting their DROID to wi-fi.

I have a Linksys E3200 High-Performance Simultaneous Dual-Band Wireless-N Router. When connecting my RAZR to it the link speed is 65 Mbps. When connecting my wife's DROID Pro, the link speed is 65 Mbps.

The "theoretical" speed of an N class router is much higher -- actually considerably higher than the speed of the cable internet I have feeding it.

I am wondering if there is a limit on the "wireless card" in Motorola devices. I am wondering why the link speed isn't higher than it is in either of our Motorola phones.

Anyone know about this stuff? Anyone connecting to wi-fi at speeds higher than 65 Mbps? If so what type of phone do you have?

I don't think anything is wrong with our phones or my home network. This is something I am just curious about.

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
Just curious what people's real-world experience is connecting their DROID to wi-fi.

I have a Linksys E3200 High-Performance Simultaneous Dual-Band Wireless-N Router. When connecting my RAZR to it the link speed is 65 Mbps. When connecting my wife's DROID Pro, the link speed is 65 Mbps.

The "theoretical" speed of an N class router is much higher -- actually considerably higher than the speed of the cable internet I have feeding it.

I am wondering if there is a limit on the "wireless card" in Motorola devices. I am wondering why the link speed isn't higher than it is in either of our Motorola phones.

Anyone know about this stuff? Anyone connecting to wi-fi at speeds higher than 65 Mbps? If so what type of phone do you have?

I don't think anything is wrong with our phones or my home network. This is something I am just curious about.

First of all how fast does a computer go on your wifi? Second of all it would depend on what wifi card or driver the phone has. Third of all (kinda related to #2) does the device actually have a wireless n receiver? You can only fully utilize an n routers speed with a wireless n receiver

supercharged modified liquid 3.1 w/turbocharged 3g
Pete's 5 slot lv 1.25GHz w/ kickasskernel tweaks
19.9 linpack score
1856 quadrant score

OP
rherron

rherron

Reaction score
I don't use a laptop at home anymore; I have a Galaxy Tab 10.1 so I took the laptop to my office. I suppose I could bring it home and see what kind of speeds I get on the laptop. I suppose your #2 is my question -- what kind of wi-fi cards/receivers do Motorola devices have (or whatever they may be called in a phone)? What about other brands -- we're a two DROID household but both are made by Motorola.

I never thought much about it. My wi-fi is fairly fast, or at least I thought it was until 4G came along. :) Now whenever I use wi-fi it seems slow to me, so I started looking at numbers (Mbps) where I never had before.

OP
rherron

rherron

Reaction score
Specs on the RAZR say wi-fi 802.11 b/g/n capable.

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
Also you can't always go by what it says for a connection speed, depending the router it will report more or less accurate connection speed...most just say 65 mpbs no matter what while others give a more accurate speed...best way to test real speed is speedtest.net app
For example my home router reports anywhere from 5mpbs to 52 mpbs depending on the signal strength while my parents wifi reports a standard 65 mpbs...actual speed tests say 5-15 mpbs at home while its only 3-8 at my parents

supercharged modified liquid 3.1 w/turbocharged 3g
Pete's 5 slot lv 1.25GHz w/ kickasskernel tweaks
19.9 linpack score
1856 quadrant score

OP
rherron

rherron

Reaction score
21.49 down.
.95 up.

That's pretty much what I get on my desktop too. Time Warner. Supposed to get 10 down and 1 up. That's what I pay for. Routinely get 20 down. They sell that as "Turbo" for $10 more per month but I seem to get it without paying extra.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums