Wi-Fi connection speed

Reaction score
I have a quick question about the wi-fi connection speed.
When I connect to my home network, it's only showing 65mbps. But since the X has wireless N, it should be connecting at 300mbps.
My router is the Netgear WNDR3700.

Also, does the X wi-fi a 2.4ghz or 5.0ghz channel?

Thanks,

Steve

NeoandGeo

Reaction score
I have never gotten over 6000 Kbps on speed tests connected to my Wifi at home. Using Wireless G, and everything else gets max speed, or close to it.

On a 16Mbps connection with my ISP

Chris-pee

Reaction score
I have a quick question about the wi-fi connection speed.
When I connect to my home network, it's only showing 65mbps. But since the X has wireless N, it should be connecting at 300mbps.
My router is the Netgear WNDR3700.

Also, does the X wi-fi a 2.4ghz or 5.0ghz channel?

Thanks,

Steve

You may be a bit confused, it can support UP TO 300 mbs, the only way you could get that speed is if you had a 300mbs internet connection. Since you are getting 65mbs, that probably means that is as fast as your connection from your ISP can support.

But 65mbs is fast as heck!

NeoandGeo

Reaction score
Maybe he means 6500Kbps? :p That's what I max at on the X. On the original Droid I would get on average 5000Kbps

Chris-pee

Reaction score
This is on my wireless G router, on my "8" GB down connection. Cheap no name router from fry's. D1

NeoandGeo

Reaction score
Wow. Something is not right with both of my phones. I can never pull over 5-6 Mbps, and my laptop, and PS3 each get well over 10 on my 16Mbps connection. :(

Is there some setting I have to tinker with in order to lift that cap?

OP
maineultraclassic
Reaction score
My laptop connects at 300mbps which is the max for a "N" network. That is why I was wondering why my X is connecting at 65mbps.
Of course it really doesn't matter since my Road Runner speed is 15mbps, but it's always nice to make sure things are configured correctly for max performance with file transfers and stuff.

Steve

Chris-pee

Reaction score
I have not changed any settings, what do you get out of you browser on a wired PC connection?

Wait, use the closet server to you in your speedtest app, see if it may be set to a server that is a long way away. My ps3 gets about 26mbs down.

This is on my PC, im sure its not correct though.

Last edited:

NeoandGeo

Reaction score
Not sure. Wonder why my phones have been capped so low? Even at work where my laptop gets a constant 25Mbps up and down with a fiber connection, my phone still never gets above 6Mbps.

I've tried the closest 7 servers, and all are between 4.5-6

This is on my laptop from home

1077004498.png

Last edited:

Chris-pee

Reaction score
My laptop connects at 300mbps which is the max for a "N" network. That is why I was wondering why my X is connecting at 65mbps.
Of course it really doesn't matter since my Road Runner speed is 15mbps, but it's always nice to make sure things are configured correctly for max performance with file transfers and stuff.

Steve

Down load a speed test app and test your speed that way with WIFI on, see what it says. The DX is prolly capped at 65mbs because I could not see the need for anything faster than that on a phone.

Last edited:

Chris-pee

Reaction score
Not sure. Wonder why my phones have been capped so low? Even at work where my laptop gets a constant 25Mbps up and down with a fiber connection, my phone still never gets above 6Mbps.

I've tried the closest 7 servers, and all are between 4.5-6

This is on my laptop from home

1077004498.png

Thats odd, what router are you using? Is your lap top connected wired or WIFI? I dont see why your phone is getting such a different speed.

OP
maineultraclassic
Reaction score
Using Speedtest, on wi-fi............I got 11.87mbps download and .58mbps upload.
Then using the 3G ............I got 1.33mbps download and .87mbps upload.

Steve

OP
maineultraclassic
Reaction score
Are there settings in the X to select to use "N", or is it automatic?

It's working great, just playing with it since I just got it Friday.

Steve

Chris-pee

Reaction score
If your router is only broadcasting in N, Then yes, but if it is broadcasting in mixed mode, im not sure.