Droid & Wireless N

pudah

Reaction score
I thought that the Droid wasn't supposed to support 802.11n wi-fi.. just b&g. I upgraded my home network to n, and set it to fixed N only for optimal speed. I added a 802.11g access point just so the Droid could connect to the wi-fi as well. It all works just fine, but then I try to connect to the N router just to try it and it works fine. Anyone have any thoughts as to how the heck this is working?

Sleeve

Reaction score
Some brands of network gear can save their settings but not apply them. The N access point might still be running mixed mode.

wsbsteven

Reaction score
I noticed that also. My router says the Droid is Wireless N but the Droid only gets G speeds and slows down the network to 54Mbps. I think the Droid wireless is N in the hardware but only B&G are active. I have two access points setup for G and N only access so I just keep my Droid on the G one.

OP
pudah

pudah

Reaction score
The router is in N only with a range of 20-40hhz. It is updated and functional, not just saved. I have other b/g only devices like a PS3, another laptop, a pda, etc and none can connect to the N router...only yhe Droid and my N laptops.

Technoman

Reaction score
The router is in N only with a range of 20-40hhz. It is updated and functional, not just saved. I have other b/g only devices like a PS3, another laptop, a pda, etc and none can connect to the N router...only yhe Droid and my N laptops.

Your DROID is "aware", and therefore can manage on it's own!!!
:icon_eek::icon_eek::icon_eek::icon_eek:

Sleeve

Reaction score
Given the garbage speedtest.net results I get on wifi g, I don't see much point messing around with N even if the Droid thinks it's connected. I can't get to the practical maximum on g. I can't even get to my broadband connection's maximum.

Although, being able to run your router in dedicated N is good for getting 300 speed between your N laptops.

OP
pudah

pudah

Reaction score
Maybe so, but my point is more about trying to figure out how the droid can function on a N connection.

bastosero

Reaction score
It should be backwards compatible that way for some, BUT you won't be able to use the N speed from a G adapter/receiver. That's not uncommon at all.

OP
pudah

pudah

Reaction score
It should be backwards compatible that way for some, BUT you won't be able to use the N speed from a G adapter/receiver. That's not uncommon at all.

... but it shouldnt be backwards compatible if the mixed mode is turned off, and it is not with any other b/g device. The only way I can think of that a device could use the internet from a wifi connection to a 802.11n only router is if the device has a n adapter itself. Im wondering if some Droids do and some don't or what the deal is. Mine is a refurb replacement from VZW with a late date code.

bastosero

Reaction score
Some g adapters are n compatible. So, I'm guessing the one that the droid has is compatible with it. It's not really uncommon, and it mixed mode doesn't have to be on. The g adapter just won't be able to use the n's "full throttle" of speed.

bastosero

Reaction score
Try to research what hardware the Droid uses and it might shed some light into this topic also.

OP
pudah

pudah

Reaction score
Some g adapters are n compatible. So, I'm guessing the one that the droid has is compatible with it. It's not really uncommon, and it mixed mode doesn't have to be on. The g adapter just won't be able to use the n's "full throttle" of speed.

I see... but why would it be N compatible, meaning it has the hardware capability of connecting with N, only to throttle back to G speeds. It seems kind of backwards. I have read a lot of conflicting things about the Droid wireless hardware. Some things state it is b/g/n without software support for N, some say it is just b/g, some say the G doesn't work, etc..

Sleeve

Reaction score
I've moved one of my wireless N access points from mixed mode to 2.4ghz N only and my Droid connected successfully. It is showing my Droid on a 64mbps speed. I have laptops on the N that are in the 200s.

However, my son's iPod Touch 2nd gen can also connect. I was actually running the AP in mixed for the iPod and Droid and for my family of iPhone users who visit. Seems I don't need to do that.

I know nothing about the wireless N spec, but this seems pretty odd. I know my access point's documentation says to use N only mode if possible for performance reasons. It has a specific mode for mixed b/g/n and I am sure that is off, it reboots when I make radio changes.

I'm wondering if there is some sort of compatibility spec in 2.4 ghz N. I run both 2.4 and 5ghz N. I know that almost nothing can see the 5ghz N, and that's the way I like it, that's my media network for Netflix, tversity, the Tivos and the Xbox 360s. But it seems that things I thought had no N ability are able to see the 2.4 N.

Baffled.

DavePDX

Reaction score
My router is on N and G mode and when I connect my Droid over wifi, the router shows it running on N.

My D-Link DAP-1522 wireless N bridge/access point is configured the same as you and reports that my Droid is running on N. I believe that is a D-Link software error in reporting that as when I've connected other wireless-G notebooks to the network they have shown up as connected by the N protocol when in fact they are only capable as wireless-G. YMMV.