Windows Phone Is Dead... Officially?

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
windows-phone-8-point-1-796x398-jpg.77965

My first ever smartphone experience was with the HTC Touch. The phone at the time was being dubbed the iPhone killer. It had a small touch screen and even a stylus. Windows mobile 6 was the operating system. As soon as i found out I could hack it to install Android that is exactly what I did. From there on it's been Android for me.

Windows Phone never really had a very high adoption rate as it was released in the middle of the iOS and Android explosion. App developers simply didn't see the benefit in developing their app for a third platform. Over the years Windows has tried various things to revive the OS. They even built a platform to run Android apps on Windows phone. Now Windows is finally admitting the platform is dead.

Microsoft has not released a major update for Windows Phone in 2 years. Microsoft's corporate VP of operating systems Joe Belifore had this to say.

Of course we'll continue to support the platform.. bug fixes, security updates, etc. But building new features/hw aren't the focus. We have tried VERY HARD to incent app devs. Paid money.. wrote apps 4 them.. but volume of users is too low for most companies to invest.

Believe it or not I still know a few people who use Windows phone. I guess we can all finally pay our respects to the dead platform.

via BGR

Attachments

• Windows-Phone-8-point-1-796x398.jpg
    Windows-Phone-8-point-1-796x398.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 3,495
I hate to be those People that Bought the HP Elite x3 for $900 for an OS that is now Done. Still felt the should have found a way to install Full Windows OS to keep that Phone a more Future Ready Device. The HW in that phone Killed my HP Stream 7 so it would have been fine. Oh well. Way to Go MS!!!

I could not get on board with Windows phones. The OS did not appeal to me and I didnt care for how they looked. I am sucker for a sexy phone ;-)

The Nokia 808 Pureview was a interesting Windows Phone with its 41MP Camera. If they just continued to Build on that with High end SoC and Display that could have turned the Tides a little more to turn more heads then they may have invested more into SW development.

bout time. I hated the windows look on the phone. then they had to transfer that look to computers. wonder what they will run on their surface tablet.

I can't see Microsoft giving up in the mobile phone space completely. They seem so far ahead in the gaming industry, I can't believe they couldn't get that success to translate into the mobile world.

I can't see Microsoft giving up in the mobile phone space completely. They seem so far ahead in the gaming industry, I can't believe they couldn't get that success to translate into the mobile world.

I'm thinking they are just putting things on hold until the hardware gets to the point it can run a full-blown Windows OS. Couldn't get any traction with apps, so a mobile OS was always going to be a loser for them.

However, if you look at Windows 10 they have apps for that platform. And Win10 works pretty well with tablets/touch screens.

as i was saying 7 years ago Will you switch to the dreaded? windows mobile has no apps to compete with.
you have 300k apps on windows phone and you have 3m apps on android/ios. most major manufacturers don't even bother releasing apps for windows phone. it was dead from the get go.

I'm shocked. Shocked, I tell you...
Given all the times M$ abandoned their phone customer base, this comes as no surprise.
Besides, filling your screen up with non-stop colored squares was kind of pointless.

I'm shocked. Shocked, I tell you...
Given all the times M$ abandoned their phone customer base, this comes as no surprise.
Besides, filling your screen up with non-stop colored squares was kind of pointless.

how many different mobile operating systems have they abandoned now. It goes back to pda's.

Windows Mobile - Wikipedia

I hate those color squares. it might look nice but I dont think they were useful at all. the first thing I did when they started appearing on windows operating system, was to upgrade to linux on all of my computers and installed classic shell on the one I kept windows on as a dual boot.

Reading one article on it yesterday, and thinking how Windows 10 had Google Android nervous back in the day. Had they got the app store together they may have been able to change the narrative. Despite my hard allegiance to Android at the time, I have to admit I liked the tiles. And it ended up in it's later life appealing to the older users who were struggling with the Android and iOS operating system.

But at it's peak the Windows phone was a viable 3rd option, and I was sad that the beef between Android and Windows was so stiff that manufactures had to kill the hybrid devices they were working on.

Though I doubt we will ever see it with Google so invested in their chromebooks (currently running Google apps), I want to see another crack at a true Windows 10/ Android laptop-tablet hybrid.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Heck, BlackBerry OS was bigger than Win Mo. BlackBerry OS ended up adopting Android Apps. Look where BlackBerry is now. New Parent Company and still fighting to survive. Everyone and their mother had a BlackBerry. Well I didn't, lol. Face it. Unless MS can get Full Windows to run on a Phone they have no place in Mobile Phone landscape anymore.

blackberry was once THE business phone and it was advertised as such. that may have been a mistake. It should have been directed more towards the general public.

Back