Ballmer Criticizes Microsoft's Recent Decision to Shelve Making Android Apps Work on Windows Phone

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Steve_Ballmer_peace.jpeg

Although very few folks would probably consider listening to what Steve Ballmer has to say about Microsoft decisions, (here at HQ), we have to admit we agree with him on his latest public statements. He recently made a comment that he disagrees with Microsoft's new stance on possibly shelving their plans to make Android Apps work on Windows Phone. Ballmer commented on statements made by new Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella at a recent meeting. Here's a quote with some of the details,
At the meeting, Nadella was asked about the lack of high-profile apps, such as one from Starbucks, and other support for Windows 10 on mobile devices. Nadella's response was that Microsoft is encouraging developers to make universal apps that will run on PC, mobile, and Xbox One.

"That won't work," Ballmer told Bloomberg, adding that Windows phones need to "run Android apps." While the ability for Windows 10 to emulate Android apps may never see the light of day, Microsoft is still trying to make it easy for iOS developers to bring their apps to the platform.

Beyond Ballmer's logic on this issue, there's also the perspective that if you make Windows Phone more open and compatible with Android (and iOS), then you make it easier for customers to potentially switch to a Windows Phone. We understand that Microsoft would like to build their own fully fleshed out ecosystem, but the competition has so much of a head start it seems like their earlier idea of cross-platform compatibility was a great plan. What do you think? Is Steve Ballmer right on this one?

Source: SlashGear

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
I think they are only hurting themselves by not pushing for the ability to use existing apps on their devices. The Windows phone isn't large enough for Devs and companies to spend tons of time making specific apps for Windows.

Now on the other hand Apple and Google along with all companies making Android devices should be happy about this as it will help drive more customers as repeat customers within those systems since Windows devices are rather limited in the app world.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
I would think Android Apps on Windows phones would increase their sales.
My guess is, some work is required on the App side to make this work. Perhaps the Devs are not interested in making their Apps Windows compatible hence the MS decision.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
android apps on windows would be amazing - give me widgets!!!!

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Apps are important enough for enough people and definitely hurts Microsoft overall ...And the reason many pass on the latest Windows phones ..

6s plus Tapatalk

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I would think Android Apps on Windows phones would increase their sales.
My guess is, some work is required on the App side to make this work. Perhaps the Devs are not interested in making their Apps Windows compatible hence the MS decision.
The initial plans that I was reading about before they "shelved" android support made it seem like it was going to be as simple as they could make it on the dev's side. Maybe just needing to insert some extra code that Windows provider. Almost made it sound like Windows might include some kind of shell or something for ios and android apps to run in. I could've misunderstood, but that's the initial vibe I got when I first found out they were trying to work towards getting apps from other OS's running on Windows.

I also have to agree with other statements here. If Windows phone apps and/or universal Windows apps were going to take off, they would've by now. They haven't and they aren't going to.

I believe the Facebook app for Windows is relatively new. I work in IT at a nursing home and a staff member brought me a resident's personal laptop the other day because Facebook wasn't working. When you clicked to launch the app, it would pop up and show you the timeline and etc, but would just close itself down with no dialog box or anything explaining why it wouldn't stay open. Actually, I think it was just minimizing itself. So, I created a link to the Facebook site and pinned it to her taskbar just like the app was and told the staff member that I recommended she just use that. It looks pretty much the same and she was already logged in in the browser. I'm not saying that the Facebook app for Android is much better, but at least mine stays open long enough for me to browse and comment/like friends' posts.

If that's the state of Windows apps, they need all of the help they can get. As an IT professional, I might bend more towards Windows devices myself if I could continue using apps I know and love from Android. I'm with Ballmer on this one for sure.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I agree with MS.
What could they seriously gain? Would you REALLY buy a Windows phone... to use Android apps? Really? And how many people would jump from Windows phone to an Android after they realize "well, geez, if I'm using all these Android apps anyway... and wow look at all the cool Android phones...why am I using this lame Windows Phone?"

Sorry, I think MS is brilliant in a lot of ways, particularly lately, but the mobile strategy is still horrible.
There are 2 Windows phones you can buy on VZW. 2.
Where's the Samsung Windows phone? The HTC? Where's my choice?

WinPhone is doomed..... Android apps cannot save it.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I agree with MS.
What could they seriously gain? Would you REALLY buy a Windows phone... to use Android apps? Really? And how many people would jump from Windows phone to an Android after they realize "well, geez, if I'm using all these Android apps anyway... and wow look at all the cool Android phones...why am I using this lame Windows Phone?"

Sorry, I think MS is brilliant in a lot of ways, particularly lately, but the mobile strategy is still horrible.
There are 2 Windows phones you can buy on VZW. 2.
Where's the Samsung Windows phone? The HTC? Where's my choice?

WinPhone is doomed..... Android apps cannot save it.
While I get what you're saying and can't fully disagree, they're still planning on supporting ios apps being ported to Windows Phone. Don't you think they'll have a similar issue with people realizing how much better the ios app selection is than the native Windows app selection?

And all of those manufacturers left WinMo behind for the exact reason you've said. It's like they have no clue what to do with mobile. Still.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
The strategy is NOT to lose people to IOS and Android when they realize "my phone does everything I need". You can't retain a Windows customer if they aren't using Windows, and that's the threat with phone/tablets killing the pc.

This is as much, if not more, about extending the Windows PC platform with Android integration as it is carving out a foothold in mobile.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Don't you think they'll have a similar issue with people realizing how much better the ios app selection is than the native Windows app selection?

Fer shure

The strategy is NOT to lose people to IOS and Android

You have to HAVE people first. People buying Windows Phones either REALLY like the ecosystem A LOT -or- are people (like someone I know) that got her first phone and knew nothing about them and wound up on WinMobile pretty much because that's what the salesman felt like moving that day.

You can't retain a Windows customer if they aren't using Windows, and that's the threat with phone/tablets killing the pc.
I just don't believe you can GAIN any...not one...by offering competing OS apps.
"I'm really heaving invested into iOS... but I think I'll get a WinPhone and deal with getting all my apps into that phone..."
No.

This is as much, if not more, about extending the Windows PC platform with Android integration as it is carving out a foothold in mobile.

Bail on your Mobile strat already. Putting Office on Android and iOS was sheer brilliance. Jump into that game with both feet. OWN your apps and make buckets of money on mobile... just not YOUR mobile.

Focus, MS. Focus. You have continued to blow opportunities in mobile every step of the way.

I had a Q. WinMobile 6. I liked it. THen you said "oh, sorry, we are coming out with 7, and not giving it to you. You are EOL". That was (not) brilliant. What happened after that?
Nothing.

Focus.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
You all make great points. I do not think it would matter as much on the phone front but it would definitely help them on the tablet side. Android tablets are lacking and so are iPads. If I can buy a windows tablet that can be used for programs and still have access to android apps then that is a huge win. Even bigger if it had access to both android and iOS apps (dream scenario). So big win if they had something like a surface that could access android apps.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Bail on your Mobile strat already. Putting Office on Android and iOS was sheer brilliance. Jump into that game with both feet. OWN your apps and make buckets of money on mobile... just not YOUR mobile.

You misunderstood the point I was making. This is about defending Windows OS and their PC market. You aren't putting WinMo on an Android phone. They NEED to make Windows compatible with Android and IOS apps so they don't LOSE Windows PC users to the mobile Android/IOS market.

Balmer is criticizing their shelving Windows support on the PC side. He's 100% correct. This has nothing to do with wanting or needing to capture mobile share with WinMo phones - that's just an extension of the PC environment/platform.

The problem Balmer is really alluding to is the lack of support in Windows 10, which is on like 85% of a shrinking PC market, only enables and accelerates ditching Windows all together because people can't run these apps on their PC or sync effectively on their mobile devices. The more they're NOT using Windows, the easier it is for them to abandon all together. Balmer is saying to expand Android/IOS support so they don't have to leave the Windows environment to do those tasks, which will stop them from searching and discovering alternative to Windows.

You have to compete for mobile AND protect your pc base. The lack of integrated cross-platform support accomplishes neither.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Here's the thing: I can't think of ONE Android app I really want on my Win Tab.
What are you guys wanting?

Tap'n Turbo

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Here's the thing: I can't think of ONE Android app I really want on my Win Tab.
What are you guys wanting?

Tap'n Turbo
That's where it gets cloudy. To me, they've got to be thinking of Windows Phone. I can't think of an Android app I'd like to see on a Windows tablet either, but if I (for some ungodly reason) found myself with a Windows Phone, I can think of several apps that I have on my phone that don't have a Windows Phone equivalent that I'd love to be able to run.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
In theory it's a great idea, but it won't work. Why? Android apps are updated every 2.4 seconds..ok big exaggeration BUTT imagine the support nightmare that would cause. Seems like every day my Android tablet has 10+ app updates pending. Who's going to handle all the broken updates? Certainly not MSFT, certainly not Android devs. Won't work. If all it took was a snap of the fingers "Hey lets run Android apps on WP" it would have been done.

Nadella's approach is much more feasible. If they can make it really easy for iOS and Android devs to bring their apps to the platform that is the way to go. The support issue is solved and everyone is happy.