Microsoft Officially Unveils Windows 10; Skips Windows 9!

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
It's on MSDN as well if you have one. Looks like I'm going to revive my old laptop and install it.

MSDN Subscriber Downloads

I personally prefer Windows 7 Ultimate. I tested 8 and 8.1 for 6 months. It worked without any issues but it wasn't as easy to navigate as 7. If I had a touch screen that might have changed things.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Installing now on vm.

Unfortunately, I used that exe file first, so now my host machine wants to reboot so it can install the preview. According to the forums there, I'm supposed to have an update that installed yesterday called KB2990214 that I can delete to get rid of this, but I don't find such an update. My last update of any kind listed was on the 19th.

Hopefully someone there can help me out, because that's as far as I would've gotten on my own as well...

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
I always recommend installing test os on its own partition. Just in case things don't work out, it's easier to reboot back to normalcy.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I always recommend installing test os on its own partition. Just in case things don't work out, it's easier to reboot back to normalcy.
That's why I installed it in a vm with the iso, but I thought that exe file would offer to download the iso, not change Windows Update to want to install the preview on my host machine.

I'm wondering if I tell it to reboot if I can cancel the install. Doesn't seem like anyone has any better idea than to delete that update file from installed updates, which I don't have in my list. Whoops...

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Can you boot in safe mode and roll back to previous setting?
I found a better thread that said they did the restart, then it went to actually install the upgrade and that's where they were able to delete the KB299... so I clicked for it to install, assuming it will tell me to reboot after that and that's when I can get rid of the proper update.

However, I've clicked install twice now and it's failed. Think I'll do a restart now. Wish me luck...

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Found it!

Helps to take a step back after the initial panic wears off. Haha! It was WAY down the list of installed updates. Since they're grouped by category, even though I sorted them by descending date, it wasn't at the top.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I'm still on Windows 7. Honestly, I don't buy Windows because it's so expensive. I'd rather just wait to purchase a new machine, and the new OS will come on it.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
You can always purchase Windows at a very discounted prices. I bought Windows 7 for $40 and Windows 8 for $15.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I'm still on Windows 7. Honestly, I don't buy Windows because it's so expensive. I'd rather just wait to purchase a new machine, and the new OS will come on it.
The only reason I upgraded my Vista machine to 7 was because I got it for free while going to school for Computer Networks and Security Systems.

Otherwise, I'm with you. Though I'm liking the direction they're heading in with 10, the upgrade would have to be VERY low-priced for me to make the jump, especially since I don't have issues with 8.1.