Microsoft Confirms Rumors; Officially Announces that Windows 8 Will Launch in October

jayman350

Reaction score
I personally don't like the new Metro UI at all, if for no other reason than it doesn't look like a windows PC environment. There may be a place for the tiled interface, but a pc/laptop is not that place. A tablet may be better suited for it, but even then I think its fugly.

I was someone who suffered through the growing pains of Vista. My Dell workstation was built for 3D Solidworks modeling with two quad-core 2.0GHz Processors and 8 GB RAM, specific video cards that Solidworks recommend, etc, etc. I could deal with the inevitable lockups and inability to resume from hibernate, as well as having to figure out the new directory structure, etc. So while I had heard plenty about how much Vista sucked, I had no choice but to use it, daily.

I bought a new win7 PC for my home, single quad-core processor, 8 GB ram, and whatever video card came with it. I loaded Solidworks onto it one day so I could work from home. Holy crap! what a difference it made using Solidworks in 7 compared to Vista (and with half the processors). I was amazed that it would make so much of a difference that I decided to throw everything I had at it, namely a large assembly of approximately 2,000 individual pieces and assemblies. My home PC handled it with ease, where as my workstation would take a few minutes to load everything and then would stutter and lag but could eventually work with it. A couple months ago, I was finally able to convince my work that I would be better off upgrading to Windows 7 since I was constantly having issues with my PC.

So while you may have loved vista, had no problems with it, etc. You are one of the only ones that I have heard that actually liked using vista. And I don't believe those commercials at all, of course Microsoft is going to put out a commercial like that. They aren't going to show people having difficulty with their showpiece, getting confused as to why the screen gets dark and gives you a pop up every time you want to change anything, etc, etc.

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I hate to even think about the number of times I've gotten the cyan ring of death that means I'm at least going to have to deal with a temporary freeze while Vista sorts itself out, not to mention the times when I've had to force the PC to power down in order to restart it because you get that nice faded background when Vista attempts to open its task manager but never does. Again, I haven't seen this much instability since Millenium Edition. I don't see any likelihood of Win 8 being worse in that department, but it's UI does not look promising.

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I hate to even think about the number of times I've gotten the cyan ring of death that means I'm at least going to have to deal with a temporary freeze while Vista sorts itself out, not to mention the times when I've had to force the PC to power down in order to restart it because you get that nice faded background when Vista attempts to open its task manager but never does. Again, I haven't seen this much instability since Millenium Edition. I don't see any likelihood of Win 8 being worse in that department, but it's UI does not look promising.

+1 , on Vista being horrible...I can attest to it being slow since I just installed the Windows 8 preview...boot time in Vista was about 1-2 minutes to get to the login screen and another minute or so before everything settled in after that
Windows 8 takes about 30-45 seconds to get to login and maybe 15-30 seconds to settle in
Plus noticing a vast improvement in download speeds. Vista would download at maybe 500-800 KB/s even with fast 4g, Windows 8 regularly gets 1000+ KB/s (best I've seen so far was 1700+ KB/s)

As far as the ui, it takes time to get used to but once you do the metro ui is great and the live tiles are nice

Big issue right now is program compatibility...there are a TON of programs that are not compatible (if you try the preview, do NOT use avast antivirus, it made it so I couldn't get the login screen at all and had to reinstall from scratch)
Still quite a few bugs to be worked out but in general super fast and great ui (once you get used to it)