Will you return the nexus if the signal is not fixed?

Sileem

Reaction score
Either I'm in a very good area with great coverage, or I'm just not having these signal issues.

rjcapp

Reaction score
I did a 50 mile round trip for work today from home to Baltimore and back. I listened to Pandora the whole time. I monitored the signal strength and the bar indicator. What saw was just about every combination between 4 g and 3g and diffrent signal strength. 4g with 4 bars with -75 dbm to 3g with 1bar and -120 dbm. I never lost signal. The nexus transitioned from 3g to 4g perfectly. I did have the black screen of death on the way home. Phone came back on and signal and connection worked regardless of format and signal. Im happy with the performance. Draw your own conclusions.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
So can anyone explain why when I have it switched to CDMA/LTE in a non-LTE area I sometimes don't even get 3G. Or why sometimes it takes several minutes to get a signal after switching from wifi to 3G or it switches from 4G to 3G.

Second phone. Same results.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
So can anyone explain why when I have it switched to CDMA/LTE in a non-LTE area I sometimes don't even get 3G. Or why sometimes it takes several minutes to get a signal after switching from wifi to 3G or it switches from 4G to 3G.

Second phone. Same results.

No clue. Did your Bionic have the 4g to 3g data drop issues that a lot of people had?

Maybe it's cell location, dealing with the invalid authentication process that was written about the other day.

m3incorp

Reaction score
Black Screen of Death oh oh lol

I did a 50 mile round trip for work today from home to Baltimore and back. I listened to Pandora the whole time. I monitored the signal strength and the bar indicator. What saw was just about every combination between 4 g and 3g and diffrent signal strength. 4g with 4 bars with -75 dbm to 3g with 1bar and -120 dbm. I never lost signal. The nexus transitioned from 3g to 4g perfectly. I did have the black screen of death on the way home. Phone came back on and signal and connection worked regardless of format and signal. Im happy with the performance. Draw your own conclusions.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ditto, can we get our own forums for awesome signals? I'm bummed out reading these other threads.

JkDancingNexus

shanimal92

Reaction score
I cant even answer right now. I love this phone, but the connection is just unbearable sometimes. I feel bad for people that NEED this phone to function properly at work. It use to be between the Rezound and the Nexus, but, Admittedly, i got the Nexus because of ICS even though the camera on the Rezound is, to my untrained eye, better, and i like the bulk of the Rezound a bit more. Now that i have played with the Nexus for about a week, i know i have made the right decision; i cant imagine trading it in for a Rezound, even with the bad coverage, and the terrible battery life. The Rezound is good and all, don't get me wrong, it's just not the Nexus. i think we can all agree on that. I do have until Jan 9th(thought it was the 15th?) to return so who knows.

B

budmonster

I haven't been on lately, did Verizon 4G go down or something or is this just with the Nexus? What are "normal" 4G speeds on the Nexus? I've never had a 4G phone before so I'm just basing this off of what I've seen on forums. I'm in Pittsburgh which is suppose to be a good 4G area but I have 1-2 bars on 4G, mostly 1 and I'm getting these:

View attachment 44594

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
No clue. Did your Bionic have the 4g to 3g data drop issues that a lot of people had?

Maybe it's cell location, dealing with the invalid authentication process that was written about the other day.

I would get rare data drops with the Bionic. Nothing like others had.

And this issue with the Gnex is everywhere I go. One area I travel through on my way to work has super strong 4G but sometimes I can't even pull 3G. And times when I do have 4G and I am leaving that area it will take several minutes to switch. When leaving home switch from wifi to 3G also takes several minutes.

Snow02

Reaction score
I would get rare data drops with the Bionic. Nothing like others had.

And this issue with the Gnex is everywhere I go. One area I travel through on my way to work has super strong 4G but sometimes I can't even pull 3G. And times when I do have 4G and I am leaving that area it will take several minutes to switch. When leaving home switch from wifi to 3G also takes several minutes.

I would go to a store and compare signal to one there and see if it really is just your phone. I definitely seem to get worse reception than on my thunderbolt, but it hasn't resulted in any usability issues. I still get 4G everywhere I go. You couldn't pay me to use another phone on vzw right now.

Reaction score
I haven't been on lately, did Verizon 4G go down or something or is this just with the Nexus? What are "normal" 4G speeds on the Nexus? I've never had a 4G phone before so I'm just basing this off of what I've seen on forums. I'm in Pittsburgh which is suppose to be a good 4G area but I have 1-2 bars on 4G, mostly 1 and I'm getting these:

View attachment 44594

I'm outside of downtown Pittsburgh (20-30mins away) and get consistently get 2-3 (4g) bars at my house(~-96dBm 44asu), my speedtest numbers are worse than yours (5-6mbs down/8-9mbs up). My connection is solid, just not uber-fast..

Last edited:

wolfpackron

Reaction score
I am having problems with "No Phone Service" and "Losing Data Service." I too am concerned that this problem will not get fixed before my return date elapses. I can read the bars on signal strength, but do not know how to read signal strength in "dbm." Can someone tell me how to measure signal strength? My original Droid never had "No Service" in the two years that I have used it. WolfpackRon.