Will you return the nexus if the signal is not fixed?

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Sorry, but I dont agree with that. Havent since all this started. Its showing an accurate LTE signal, according to Anandtech and If I'm following the article correctly.

This is a phone first. It should show the CDMA, EVDO signal since thats what the phone uses for phone reception, not LTE signal. If/when 3G is phased all the way out, we are using VoLTE, thats another story. Until then.....my phone should show me the phone reception signal, not the data signal. Even with LTE enabled. If Samsung, Google really want to be special about showing the LTE signal they should have a separate line for LTE signal in the About Phone/Status area. With LTE enabled it shows an up, down arrow in the notification area....why not just have separate bars over there for data signal then?

IMHO.

Since there are still 3G only phones on their network....why create this confusion? Ppl that have been going by decibels over the past year with Android phones would automatically assume somethings very wrong with their phone comparing it to their previous Android phones. Think about the T Bolt and Rezound that can do voice and data over 3G. Wouldnt showing the LTE signal be considered wrong for those 2 phones?

We all must also remember that signal, reception issues wont really be noticed unless in a bad reception area. Unfortunately all of us arent lucky enough to be in great reception areas all the time. If I take 2 phones on the same network, try to use them in a bad reception area and one works good, ok while the other doesnt work good to not at all......there is an issue. Whether its hardware or software....there is an issue. If that issue is hardware and its not defective....so be it. Sometime it is what it is when it comes to the pros n cons of devices, manufactures.

I keep seeing posts comparing it to the OG Droid saying it works similar to better as far as reception. If so...I might consider getting a G Nex. Cuz my lil buddy had good reception. Even tho my DX1 and RAZR works better than my OG for reception, I would be willing to accept OG Droid reception.

Jroc you can test this yourself. Take another 4G phone, check the signal dBm, then turn it to 3G, check the signal dBm if they are the same you know it's only showing 3G signal dBm.

Then test the Nexus, on 3G mine shows around -81 through -84dBm, on 4G it shows -86 through -95. This means the Nexus shows the 4G signal's dBm when it's on 4G and shows 3G signal when it's not.

My OG sitting beside my Nexus, both on 3G : OG-81, Nexus-83.

Juicemane

Bang Bang
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Jroc you can test this yourself. Take another 4G phone, check the signal dBm, then turn it to 3G, check the signal dBm if they are the same you know it's only showing 3G signal dBm.

Then test the Nexus, on 3G mine shows around -81 through -84dBm, on 4G it shows -86 through -95. This means the Nexus shows the 4G signal's dBm when it's on 4G and shows 3G signal when it's not.

Thank you for clearing this up yet again. Most people do not take the time to read whats in front of them. A lot of the "issues" are people being misinformed and posting it on the internet. Not saying some users legitamitly have an issue, but the majority of people who claim to be having issues can easily fix them if they take the time to read what others have done.

Heres a simple list Ive put together form reading the forums for 10 minutes.

1. In a 4g area if experiencing poor 4g or slow downloads, reseat your sim card.
2. In a 3g only area, switch the phone to CDMA ONLY so you are not scanning for LTE and wasting battery.
3. Stop compairing 4g DBM between other devices. The only true way to compare your device is with another 4g device running ICS (go to the verizon store and check the demo phone side by side with yours, if your DBM/Signal is off from the display, then you have a defective phone).

Simple and easy, Happy Holidays.

GeLopez

Reaction score
i am not having any dropped calls, i do however show -120db. i will not be returning my nexus if verizon can pull a fix to the readings.

MrKleen

Reaction score
I am one who certainly was having issues. I don't care about bars, but I do care that I was missing phone calls and then notice that I have a voicemail. I also don't like calls dropping mid conversation because my phone completely lost service. (I dropped a call while calling tech support)

I am not talking about when the network was down... I am used to this and understand all that. But when my Nexus is sitting completely without service while my Thunderbolt does have service it makes me a bit concerned.

I swapped out my first phone and am still on my second. I must say that since having this one I've had a couple issues but it is much better. It is better to the point that I may keep it because I wan't it so badly. But it does have trouble with data transfer a lot. I can be trying to download or do something and it is sorta stuck or barely moving. My Thunderbolt operates very quickly and is my comparison. Sadly while I much prefer the Nexus, the Thunderbolt smokes my Nexus with data side by side. Again I am not comparing imaginary bars of signal, I am comparing real life downloading of data.

I hold out hope that it can be fixed with software. But I sure hope Verizon doesn't just change the bars and tell us everything is fine.... If this happened, yes I would return the phone. And this would make me very sad because I waited for this phone for a long time, and it has amazing developer support which will only get better and better.

To me this is a real disappointing situation.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Personally, I think it is very relevant that some people posting are reporting that they don't have signal issues. That is the entire point of a forum. To collaborate. Just because you're upset that you are having issues doesn't give you the right to flame everyone else who isn't.

I'd be curious to know the location of some of the people having issues. I'm in the Chicagoland area and have no issues whatsoever, signal is great. Could that be because I'm in one of the largest metropolitan areas in the country? Probably. Worth a look.

You are right there are people who are not having issues and we need them to post juat as much as we need those who are having issues to report. Collectively we can get to the bottom of whether this is software or hardware related. I hear what people are saying about the Nexus reporting "true" Lte and I think that may be the issue. If they are separating it then it could be an issue. Because Lte devices dont run strong all day it fluctuates and some of it may be designed in the software to prevent over heating. With devices that are reporting them together (if that is happening) it appears that we are still able to continue to do what we need to do and not have issues stopping and dropping calls. So I guess what I am saying is that if reporting them together allows my data and calls to be more stable then I would rather them report it together until we get LTE at a point where it can handle every day data functions. Because at the end of the day no matter how many roms this thing can flash and all the tweaks I still have to use it for a phone. And if I find that I can not get through a day with out issues I am going to ask questions. Now many of us on here who own the nexus know our way around our phones. Yes some may be more knowledgeable than others but we all can handle our own. So I believe the people that say they are having issues just like I believe those who may not be having issues at all. At the end of the day the point of us (the community) is to collaborate and learn. If I come on the forums and I am the only one with data issues then I know its a bad device or my area is just poor with a signal. But if I come on here and there are a good handful of people having the same issue then we either have a large batch of bad devices or software issues that are plaguing a large collection of people. I have not seen any one come on here saying "this is a pos google sucks" those of us having issues are frustrated and are in a tough situation. Because we now have to decide whether to wait it out and be stuck or return it and wait for a fix (I actually already decided what to do). Many of us need our phones to be reliable and one of the reasons I dropped my iphone 3gs on At&T and came to vzw was because of the better network. At the end of the day my phone has to be a phone first because I can always get a tablet for ics. I am truly hoping this get fixed and that this just become an after thought.

honors21

Reaction score
Personally i chose yes. if it is not fixed by january 10th (leaving 5 days), i will return the galaxy nexus. I love the phone, i love the dev support, i love the screen, the speed, the rooting experience, everything.... but i do not want to be worrying about data every time i turn my phone on for the next two years.

The vzw crap where they will just make the bars show better results without doing anything is unacceptable and makes me think that it is a hardware problem that they are not fixing.

And dont say there are no data problems because there is. I live in a 4g area. my droid 1 always had 3g in my house. so why is it that my galaxy nexus not only has 4g les then half the time, but cant keep a good 3g connection. if i dont have 4g, im at 1-2 bars with 3g or no data at all, which is just ridiculous.

I am not having an issue at all ?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

OP
doublea500

doublea500

Reaction score
the problem is not the 4g itself, its keeping the 4g. every once in a while it goes to 3g. its annoying and it kills my battery.
For all the people who are not having a data problem, just know that there IS a data problem in someplaces to devices, and its quite widespread.

Coming from an og droid, i dont know what to expect from 4g, but i do know that if i were to drop to 3g, i should at least be getting as strong a db signal as my old og droid got in my house.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score

And thats part of the problem IMO. If you put your G Nex on LTE it shows a higher decibel number, the actual LTE readings...why do that when its a phone and uses CDMA, EVDO, 1x? So in other words the G Nex, ICS is putting phone reception readings as a lower priority when its on LTE? Shouldnt phone reception readings be the main priority, since its a phone? Or does it actually switch readings when on the different networks? Like when its connected to LTE is shows one thing, when its on 3G it shows something else, when its on a call it shows something else? Or is it all showing the LTE readings for all 3?

Whatever the case....it should be like all the other LTE phones until 3G gets phased out or we start using VoLTE. IMO the Charge and G Nex are "showing it wrong". Do some ppl realize that the phone reception is part of 3G? As such, it should be showing that as the main priority right now, until VoLTE comes and/or 3G is phased out?

Verizon launching simultaneous voice and data over CDMA 1X Advanced SVDO network soon « The Cell Phone Junkie

CDMA2000 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

3G - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If this was a tablet that couldn't do calls, I could understand.

Last edited:

Zecpull

Reaction score
I just came from the Droid Bionic, This is a known issue.. They told me the Nexus would not have this issue.. I have had 3 times in one day with NO internet. I have been through a Month of " the next update will fix it. " I was ready to return my Bionic inside the 14 day window.. and they told me the Fix was only days away.. HA HA HA . I then went back after my 14 days.. and told them I wanted to Return it under the same complaint on day 8 .. they said no.. I had 2 replacement phones. .and 2 sim cards. and it still was losing Data signal. Now Im getting the same thing on another $300 phone running ICS... it is going back... I will wait. until it is fixed. .By then I can pick it up for half price.. My Bionic was $355 with the Extended battery... they are now 200.. I may get another Bionic. It is getting ICS soon.. and I think it is a better made phone. If I have to live with no data... I will take a cheaper phone. My Droid X2 never lost Data.. It has to be a Verizon Problem.

OP
doublea500

doublea500

Reaction score
And thats part of the problem IMO. If you put your G Nex on LTE it shows a higher decibel number, the actual LTE readings...why do that when its a phone and uses CDMA, EVDO, 1x? So in other words the G Nex, ICS is putting phone reception readings as a lower priority when its on LTE? Shouldnt phone reception readings be the main priority, since its a phone? Or does it actually switch readings when on the different networks? Like when its connected to LTE is shows one thing, when its on 3G it shows something else, when its on a call it shows something else? Or is it all showing the LTE readings for all 3?

Whatever the case....it should be like all the other LTE phones until 3G gets phased out or we start using VoLTE. IMO the Charge and G Nex are "showing it wrong". Do some ppl realize that the phone reception is part of 3G? As such, it should be showing that as the main priority right now, until VoLTE comes and/or 3G is phased out?

Verizon launching simultaneous voice and data over CDMA 1X Advanced SVDO network soon « The Cell Phone Junkie

im not talking about the signal strength when i say data problems. when i have 4g, its great. its the stability, it drops on me.

example- i turned lte/cdma off and cdma on, so 3g should be on. i put my phone in my pocket for about an hour and then when i wanted to dl an app i did not have 3g data on, and i had to enable the wifi. Thats the problem.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score

I guess we just have differing opinions of what the signal should show.

I think it should show 4G signal when it's on 4G and 3G signal when it's on 3G, as it does now.

OP
doublea500

doublea500

Reaction score
also, one more note. i called my vzw store, and told them the problem and they said one sec and transfered me to somewhere (i think tech support or just another guy in the store). he said they were completely aware of the problem and are working on it. i told him i read... with the signal bars... and that my problem is that it drops to 3g. he just said "they are aware of the problem...". i said what happens if its a hardware issue. he said its not a hardware issue, you would have been notified if it were. so thats a good sign at least :D i can rest!

GoBears

Reaction score
This was a good read for me. I'm not suffering from dropped data but rather slow speeds. I don't live in a 4g area and when I travel to one I still leave it off, so I can't comment on 4g. I hope everyone gets their issues resolved because this phone is going to be epic and the more on board the merrier!

GoBears

Crankintopwater69

Silver Member
Reaction score
This was a good read for me. I'm not suffering from dropped data but rather slow speeds. I don't live in a 4g area and when I travel to one I still leave it off, so I can't comment on 4g. I hope everyone gets their issues resolved because this phone is going to be epic and the more on board the merrier!

GoBears
This was a good read for me also im just having voicemail probs and since i have no bars at home but still can make phone calls and get on the net then im doin ok,but i will return only bcos of voicemail.