Why we’re all better off without a Verizon iPhone

dyrelogan

Reaction score
I agree. And even though I have heard the same things from multiple rep's I do agree that it is all hearsay. If it happens, then great. If not, then great. I do have an iPod Touch for my music, but for my phone, I love my Droid X. Droid is greatly surpassing the iPhone and continues to gain momentum. I remember when I had my Blackberry, I went to the Blackberry forums and read one post that said it all: "The iPhone is a nice "toy," but for functionality, I prefer my Blackberry." I feel the same way about Droid. For functionality and service, I prefer my Droid. :)

chaz.ring

Reaction score
Well actually, Verizon will be getting the iPhone next year some time. Along with that, the iPad will be available with Verizon's 4G which is coming out by the end of this year (4G I mean) and the iPad's next gen model will come equipped with the new 4G for Verizon's "hostile" takeover of the iPhone. Whether AT&T will continue to have the iPhone I don't know. I would guess that they will since they have such a large market. That's all I see out there, people with iPhone's. I know Verizon has been tight-lipped about it due to legal issues, but there have been some loose-lipped Verizon CSR's who hint around about it coming next year. Also, T-Mobile is next in line for being bought out by Verizon, which I heard is going to happen soon. I guess it's true about Verizon, that they Rule The Air. All I have to say, if you get the right rep's, it doesn't take much to get them to talk. :) I also heard that the iPhone for Verizon will have a battery door because Verizon does not want to have its customers be without a phone by having to send it in to Apple, they want to be able to swap out a defective or bad battery right at the Verizon store. How much of this is true remains to be seen, but I do believe that by this time next year, the iPhone will indeed have Verizon's more dependable cell service. And, sorry to say, but also it will have Verizon's unnecessary bloatware.
As I've said REPS know really less then anything. Remember some people try to seem more Knowledgeable an act more important, then they really are. Also I think i remember reading that the CEO of Verizon has spoken about not caring for the iphone.

Ditto.....they always try to sound so knowledgeable....lol....

I install networks for all of the carriers, and can tell you that currently in MI the LTE network is only about half built...... let alone ready for the launch of iphone...pssshhhh....lol, just ridiculous to even think in never, never land that it will release in jan.....lol

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
In my own unofficial polling I have found that about 80% who say they want one is because its an iphone or because someone they know has one.
My question was simple, why do you want an iphone? I have been asking this since before the first one was released and only a handful actually state a reason beyond the above and most of them were because they have an ipod
Its not scientific polling and its limited to my little world but I've been asking for years
wified from my Incredible monolith using Swype on Tapatalk

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I agree with you but really, in reality.. how "smart" is a phone that;s so dumbed down anyone can use it? If I owened a pet monkey I bet he could be rocking an iphone.
It just takes a little bit of role-playing. Look around your house...flat-screen TV, HD receiver, computers, remote controls...I'm sure there are 5 or 6 devices you want to JUST WORK. Out of the box. No need to read the manual...or go to the website...or join user forums...or install firmware. Plug it in, turn it on, and work. "See Grandma (monkey, young child, etc.)! Ain't it EASY!"

I'm like you. I LOVE the Droid and I love being able to tweak it. I've also learned a lot about Android (SDK, ADB, Appbuilder, etc.) and appreciate having a device that graciously lets me play with it, without doing much harm. :icon_eek:

I think it's easy to imagine a s^&%-load of people who want their phone to work the same way you and I want other devices that we own to work.

Face it. We're a very special breed.

-Matt

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Well actually, Verizon will be getting the iPhone next year some time. Along with that, the iPad will be available with Verizon's 4G which is coming out by the end of this year (4G I mean) and the iPad's next gen model will come equipped with the new 4G for Verizon's "hostile" takeover of the iPhone.
/begin affectionate sarcasm/

OK, I'm going on the record here guys. :) If I start making broad statements without offering something to support my claim...a website, a video clip, a signed affidavit from my next-door-neighbor who knows "somebody"...nothing...please call me on it.

/end affectionate sarcasm/

-Matt

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well actually, Verizon will be getting the iPhone next year some time. Along with that, the iPad will be available with Verizon's 4G which is coming out by the end of this year (4G I mean) and the iPad's next gen model will come equipped with the new 4G for Verizon's "hostile" takeover of the iPhone. Whether AT&T will continue to have the iPhone I don't know. I would guess that they will since they have such a large market. That's all I see out there, people with iPhone's. I know Verizon has been tight-lipped about it due to legal issues, but there have been some loose-lipped Verizon CSR's who hint around about it coming next year. Also, T-Mobile is next in line for being bought out by Verizon, which I heard is going to happen soon. I guess it's true about Verizon, that they Rule The Air. All I have to say, if you get the right rep's, it doesn't take much to get them to talk. :) I also heard that the iPhone for Verizon will have a battery door because Verizon does not want to have its customers be without a phone by having to send it in to Apple, they want to be able to swap out a defective or bad battery right at the Verizon store. How much of this is true remains to be seen, but I do believe that by this time next year, the iPhone will indeed have Verizon's more dependable cell service. And, sorry to say, but also it will have Verizon's unnecessary bloatware.
You have no facts to back up any of this. First of all, no VZW rep knows more than you or I or the man on the moon for sure about iPhone coming to VZW in 2011. VZW has no interest in acquiring T-M - FTC would never approve it, and they are GSM and VZW is CDMA. It would be a HUGE cost to switch them over. I'm hoping next time you post something like this, you have some links to reputable sites to back it up.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I'm hoping next time you post something like this, you have some links to reputable sites to back it up.
Actually, when it comes to oversized-claims, I'd suggest we raise the ante and not only ask for a reputable site, but that it be more than a tech-industry analyst (e.g., BGR) who quotes anonymous sources. That's barely 1 notch above our knowledge-level--and sometimes it's even a few notches lower (e.g., that recent blog from the guy who couldn't figure out how to work the Droid X!):

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-news/84238-droid-doesnt-why.html

-Matt

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm hoping next time you post something like this, you have some links to reputable sites to back it up.
Actually, when it comes to oversized-claims, I'd suggest we raise the ante and not only ask for a reputable site, but that it be more than a tech-industry analyst (e.g., BGR) who quotes anonymous sources. That's barely 1 notch above our knowledge-level--and sometimes it's even a few notches lower (e.g., that recent blog from the guy who couldn't figure out how to work the Droid X!):

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-news/84238-droid-doesnt-why.html

-Matt
Funny, I almost did mention "not BGR type sites either". Yes, I totally agree. Anyone can come into a site and make unfounded claims...how about "Sprint is going to be part of VZW by 2012".

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Meh. I'm not sure I buy the assertion that there wouldn't be any competition if Verizon had the iPhone. I can't refute it with concrete evidence but it comes across to me as yet another statement that people parrot without much thought. It certainly didn't hurt Android's growth.

Anyone have numbers available for the international market where the iPhone isn't stuck on just one carrier?

Last edited:

Darkseider

Reaction score
I for one would LOVE to see the iPhone come to Verizon! Could you imagine CM 6.x on an iPhone 4?!?! That would just be sooo awesome. Think of it as an honorary Droid once it gets torn apart by the devs! WOOHOO!! Not that I would buy one but it certainly would be funny as hell.

OP
xkape

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I agree with you but really, in reality.. how "smart" is a phone that;s so dumbed down anyone can use it? If I owened a pet monkey I bet he could be rocking an iphone.
It just takes a little bit of role-playing. Look around your house...flat-screen TV, HD receiver, computers, remote controls...I'm sure there are 5 or 6 devices you want to JUST WORK. Out of the box. No need to read the manual...or go to the website...or join user forums...or install firmware. Plug it in, turn it on, and work. "See Grandma (monkey, young child, etc.)! Ain't it EASY!"

-Matt

I absolutely see your point. My wife just wants things to work. I however.. can't keep my hands off her phone.

I guess I'm just odd but, to me nothing works out of the box the way I want it to. I'd love to be able to tear my cable remote apart and reprogram it or even change the button configuration. PS3, Xbox, Wii ... id mod em if I owned em. Like my oven for example... I'd like to redo it so that the large burners were in the back cause I use them but I have a 2 year old. I would also like it to be able to talk to my cell phone so I could preheat it on the way home from the grocery.

DAVID2010

Reaction score
iPHONE

I don't care if they get an iphone or not.. I will not use it. Plain and simple... I want a phone built around me. I want to be able to bend it to my will and make it my own. I paid $200 for my phone and I pay 160 monthly to make it (and my wifes) work. For that price, I say I own it. Locked bootloaders and bloatware be damned. That's like me buying a house but the previous owners get to decide how I decorate it. NOT going to happen.
Am i glad the iphone exists? YES. Without it, the droid may not exist. But I will rock this D1 until something that kills it (and is like it in openess) comes along. At the core, it's a phone. I can make calls and send texts with it.

Here's a good question... Did the iphone save AT&T? My thoughts is that without the iphone, AT&T would have gone down the crapper. I just don't get Steve Jobs posistion. The dude is all about making bank. Either AT&T is paying one helluva fee to be the sole provider or he's an idiot. The polls speak for themselves.... people want an iphone (for whatever reason) but they hate AT&T so much they use a droid.

I say good. Let the droid develop and if the iphone comes to Big Red in the future, droid will survive. I will always support it because it is what it is. Open source, changeable and inexpensive.

I obviously rambled a lot here so if my words are odd or I repeated myself, I apologize.
What's also true is that a lot of people stay with AT&T ONLY for the iPhone. It's ridiculous how many times I hear people *****ing about dropped call and AT&T having ****ty coverage. Ridiculous because they keep paying every month because they want a iPhone. Now, I like and enjoy my iPhone's, but they work. They work and my coverage is better here with AT&T than with Verizon. I'm not going to stay with a company for a device and ***** while paying them every month.
About my Droid X. This is one thing Motorola should try to get and be like from Apple. Now, I'm not saying this is a deal breaker, but my Droid X reminded me of something from NASCAR. Come on, I have Motorola on it, then Google, then Verizon. With the iPhone you only have one company on it. No AT&T name on it (AT&T does put its name on other smartphone's though). What else? Bloatware. The iOS does not have the carriers bull**** on it. My Droid X had to keep stuff I never used. I would have to "ROOT" the device to remove this. Not saying I use everything Apple puts on my device but it's better than having that PLUS the carriers junk. If I want something from device not supported I do what I did with my Droid X and stuff not supported, "Jailbreak" it. I'm not going to list the pro's and con's to each operating system/device but neither is perfect. Both have great features. I can list flaws in BOTH. But why, they are both great choices. To each there own. Each company and carrier competing helps us consumers get better and better devices. Enjoy. :icon_ banana: dancedroid :iphone:

Nausicaa

Reaction score
Everyone call iPhone owners dumb because its locked down. Have you seen Blackberry? That thing is the true meaning of locked down.

I chose a Droid because of Verizon. I've had good phones with bad smartphone capabilities but now I have a good smartphone with bad phone capabilities. Calls take up more power than the screen, odd isn't it, when dumbphones have better calling capabilities? Charging isn't really that big of a problem for me though.

Android is mostly good hardware thrown together haphazardly with adaptable software. We have a set of developer's tools tools and a lot of nice people, I have never had strange problems such as the camera randomly not functioning nor common freezes. That is why for the layman, an iPhone is the better choice. It shouldn't be the end user's responsibility to do these things, but here we are.

I knew what I was getting into when I purchased this phone. I am not disappointed. But most people don't like having to do things on their own. The OS is supposed to be solid. Android is great, no thanks to corporations, but by individuals who contribute.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Me, I didnt care about how easy or hard a phone was to use. I wanted an iPhone cuz at the time it was the best option for a good smartphone. I wanted a capacitive screen sooo baaad.

When the Droid came out it filled the void in my phone world: Capacitive screen, FREE gps?!?!, the many free and low cost apps? slide out keyboard? The iPhone quickly became a distant memory...

Like someone said, if it comes, Android will be fine. It will be just another choice for a phone on Verizon. But after discovering Android...I dont want an iPhone anymore...and I'm sure there are more ppl that felt and feel like me....