Why The Verizon iPhone Rumors are True—CDMA iPhone Due in January

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
by Steve Cheney on Aug 8, 2010

We’ve been hearing Verizon iPhone rumors for years now.
... and I am going to go on record to say Verizon will be selling an iPhone this coming January.

... I can’t say with 100% accuracy that an iPhone will hit Verizon store shelves in January...

I thought about the iPhone when it comes out. Not for myself but my buddy hates AT&T and doesn't want to switch phones when his contract is up. He's not real computer literate so honestly it would be most beneficial for him not to switch phones. He was looking forward to tethering as he has no internet at his home, but I told him that just because it's Verizon, doesn't mean the phone will be "open source" or that you'll get the same apps as Android phones (I.E. pdaNET).

I think if it goes to Sprint instead, users will jump on the jailbreak option (or unlock them) and use them with Verizon which I believe has better coverage.

I know that when our contract was coming up, I really wanted an iPhone as I already loved my iTouch but didn't want AT&T. After sitting down for 5 hours and researching my options, I went down and got my Droid with no regrets and would not switch.

OP
Shadez

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69

... and I am going to go on record to say Verizon will be selling an iPhone this coming January.

... I can’t say with 100% accuracy that an iPhone will hit Verizon store shelves in January...

Since when have weatherman ever been wrong?? <g>

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Im hoping apple and att realize they are made for each other and sign another exclusive deal.

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score

Since when have weatherman ever been wrong?? <g>

they're not "wrong" because they cover the gray area so well. No definitive answer and you're not accountable.

OP
Shadez

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
CDMA iPhone in engineering tests, may arrive in January, says John Gruber

By Nilay Patel posted Aug 11th 2010 6:44PM

It's not as cut-and-dry as last night's declaration that a new Retina Display-equipped iPod Touch is due in the next few weeks, but our man John Gruber just put up a lengthy post on the long-rumored CDMA iPhone for Verizon in which he says the mythical handset is codenamed "N92" and has reached "engineering verification test" (EVT) status. According to Gruber, that's just one step below "design verification test," which is what that stolen iPhone 4 prototype was -- meaning the CDMA iPhone is apparently just two hops away from production. Mix in persistent rumors of large CDMA chipset orders these past few weeks and a dash of AT&T hinting that exclusivity might be over, and it's sounding like ol' N92 could well arrive in January as first reported by Bloomberg -- perhaps at Verizon's CES press conference. In Gruber's words, "the CDMA iPhone is no longer a cold storage, keep-it-alive-just-in-case-we-need-it project."

Now, Gruber is very careful to say that none of this is a sure thing, and that Apple's CDMA work could have nothing to do with Verizon specifically; it could be for Sprint, or for various international CDMA carriers. What's more, we definitely have our doubts about a CES announcement -- we're expecting to hear a lot about Verizon's LTE plans at the keynote, and it would certainly be an odd capstone to launch an incredibly high-profile CDMA device at the same time. (Not to mention Apple's historic aversion to sharing the spotlight with others at CES.) Even still, we've definitely been hearing noise about a CDMA Verizon iPhone from all manner of sources for months now -- if this is ever going to happen, we'd say this is the last time it's going to make any sense before both Verizon and AT&T start to get serious about 4G.

post_label_source.gif
Daring Fireball

CDMA iPhone in engineering tests, may arrive in January, says John Gruber -- Engadget

OP
Shadez

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Apple's Verizon iPhone Prototype is Ready for January, Report says

Daniel Ionescu, PC World
Aug 12, 2010 9:08 am
203124-200117-verizon-iphone_original_original.jpg

The mythical Verizon iPhone could become reality this January, as Apple is reportedly finishing the prototype for a CDMA smartphone. The news comes from Daring Fireball's ever-scoopful John Gruber, who says that N92 is the codename for an engineering verification test unit of a Verizon-bound iPhone 4.
In the wake of the recent batch of countless Verizon iPhone rumors, Gruber, usually reliable for Apple-related scoops, speculates that the Cupertino company will unveil its CDMA version of the iPhone 4 at the Consumer Electronics Show in January 2011, with sales starting at the end of the month.

Sources told Gruber that the Verizon iPhone prototype is not in production yet, but it is still at engineering verification testing (EVT) stage, a step before the device verification test (DVT) status (like the lost iPhone 4 prototype) -- the stage prior to mass production of the device. Gruber says the EVT stage is "right about where you'd think it would be if it were scheduled to go on sale in January."

Yes to CDMA, But Verizon-Only? Maybe

The CDMA version of the iPhone 4 is not necessarily Verizon-bound, Gruber says. In the U.S. it could be released on Sprint as well, and it would also work with Canadian CDMA carriers.

There are more than 164 million CDMA subscribers in North America, more than 36 million in Latin America, and more than 300 million in the Asia-Pacific region, according to figures from the CDMA Development Group. Instead of targeting only the U.S. Verizon subscribers, Apple could target the huge CDMA market in Asia, whereas Latin America's CDMA subscriber figures are notWould you go for a Sprint iPhone 4, or is it a deal breaker?

Apple's Verizon iPhone Prototype is Ready for January, Report says - PCWorld

hoing

Reaction score
I, unfortunately, will switch if it does happen. :icon_evil: Sorry guys.

azules9780

Reaction score
I, unfortunately, will switch if it does happen. :icon_evil: Sorry guys.

Whatever floats your boat homie!

Competition is good for our industry. I'm just glad that the iPhone raised the bar so I could have the best phone I have ever had. dancedroid Just don't slow down my super fast network, that's all I ask.

SwiftLegend

Reaction score
I personally think this is great. Don't get me wrong, I love my Droid, but the iPhone is a great phone. I just think it's more for novice users. It's really clear and cut to the chase. While the android phones have so many ways of doing simple things. Not saying that's a bad thing, but for someone not used to it-its kinda strange. I made my sister switch from her BB to an Eris. She loved it at first but got frustrated for not nothing how to do everything. (I think knowing the fact that it could do a lot and looking at my Droid angered her too..) She went back to the BB and I know once this iPhone hits Verizon she gonna go crazy...

Freelancer

Reaction score
It seems like if this is true, Verizon is sure setting themselves up to be the mega carrier: They have Blackberrys, the best Droids, pretty soon the EVO-like phone, and now the iPhone? Why would anybody use a different carrier?

I hope once the whole world switches to Verizon they'll still do free mobile to mobile.

craig.agrona

Reaction score
Here, Here! I agree, I switched from my BB storm 2 to a droid one and rooted. I always wanted an Iphone but I can do more with my google sponsored phone then the iphone. The only thing that could sway me is VTC (face time) over the network versus Wifi. And I hear that HTC is going to have it for verizon in the next 6 months or so. has anyone else heard that?

Freelancer

Reaction score
Here, Here! I agree, I switched from my BB storm 2 to a droid one and rooted. I always wanted an Iphone but I can do more with my google sponsored phone then the iphone. The only thing that could sway me is VTC (face time) over the network versus Wifi. And I hear that HTC is going to have it for verizon in the next 6 months or so. has anyone else heard that?

There was a thread with pics about an Evo-like phone coming to Verizon... if this is true, I'm glad I haven't upgraded yet, this'll be one definitely worth waiting for. I think it'll even make me pass on the R2 Special Edition Droid 2. Those pics of it look pretty damn slick though.