Who still enjoys their Phone?

MonKENy

Reaction score
Yes the battery life is an issue, but one that is easily addressed through the developers community. If you are still having battery issues, like I keep reading in this thread, its your own fault. the fixes are out there for you, just go apply them.

its not "his own fault" he shouldnt have to mod a phone to get these types of results. Thats just stupid logic. Thats like Buying a car and them putting a lousy engine it. And then you telling the person well, you have access to people who build engines you should put a new one in. Its your fault that your car isnt doing what you want.

If a developer can make the phone run better then the manufacture should have done that from the start.

alboboy10

Reaction score
Hugg727 said:
Yes the battery life is an issue, but one that is easily addressed through the developers community. If you are still having battery issues, like I keep reading in this thread, its your own fault. the fixes are out there for you, just go apply them.

As I type this, my phone is sitting next to me running 4.1.2 and I had it on JB the day after it was released. I read an article this morning that the US Galaxy S3 may not see JB until 2013! With the rumors of a new Nexus coming out soon, I am sure that we will all be on Key Lime Pie by then. This is why, while somewhat under powered, the Nexus is a great phone. The devs have done a great job and will continue to do the same for this phone next year as well.

Should work properly out of the box. I didn't pay to tinker with it

kookk

Reaction score
I still enjoy it. I don't like the plastic body however. I envy phones like the RAZR HD

jadine4498

Reaction score
I'm still enjoying mine:)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
Should work properly out of the box. I didn't pay to tinker with it

Ironic because I did. ;)

Seriously though, I agree that you shouldn't have to modify your phone to get it in working order. The update to JB fixed all my signal issues. My advice is if its still not performing to your standards:

1. Get a CLNR before your manufacturer warranty expires

2. Get a new device

The Nexus does not have great radios but they have been adequate for me. If they don't meet your expectations, then you should consider switching to a device with better radios. Just something to consider.

As for battery life, its long been known that LTE destroys battery. The Nexus does not have life comparable to phones such as the SGS3 or Maxx. If battery life is very important to you:

1. Get a 3800 extended battery

2. Switch to a device with better battery

And I apologize if I come across as rude, but those really are your only options if you don't want to experiment with modifying your device.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

alboboy10

Reaction score
I want to root my device but tbh unless I know how to do it and have someone help me I don't wanna experiment on my own. It's not the rooting process that I can't do, it's the Roms etc.

The battery on the nexus is worse than the thunderbolt.

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
The battery on the nexus is worse than the thunderbolt.

There's something going on with your phone...even on stock for me, battery life was adequate on 4G. The Thunderbolt had terrible life stock...I think it has something like a 1450 mAh. And if you do decide to start modifying, myself and I'm sure many others here would be willing to help you through the process if you get confused.

alboboy10

Reaction score
syndicate0017 said:
There's something going on with your phone...even on stock for me, battery life was adequate on 4G. The Thunderbolt had terrible life stock...I think it has something like a 1450 mAh. And if you do decide to start modifying, myself and I'm sure many others here would be willing to help you through the process if you get confused.

Last time on my thunderbolt I kind of messed up a little (turned out fine) but I kind of freaked out a little. So I'm just nervous to try it on this, rooting isn't too difficult...the roms and backing things up is what confuses me and scares me away

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
Last time on my thunderbolt I kind of messed up a little (turned out fine) but I kind of freaked out a little. So I'm just nervous to try it on this, rooting isn't too difficult...the roms and backing things up is what confuses me and scares me away

Did you S Off your TBolt? If not, that's probably why ROMs confused you. On an unlockable device, all you have to do is unlock boot loader (easy) and either root (easy) or flash a ROM (easy). You don't have to be on a specific build number or be on a specific kernel to flash things. As long as you flash the VZW (toro) version, you're good.

alboboy10

Reaction score
syndicate0017 said:
Did you S Off your TBolt? If not, that's probably why ROMs confused you. On an unlockable device, all you have to do is unlock boot loader (easy) and either root (easy) or flash a ROM (easy). You don't have to be on a specific build number or be on a specific kernel to flash things. As long as you flash the VZW (toro) version, you're good.

That's what confused me on the thunderbolt I guess.

What would be the easiest way about rooting and then putting a rom on...(one with great battery life).

Isn't rooting basically unlocking the device

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
That's what confused me on the thunderbolt I guess.

What would be the easiest way about rooting and then putting a rom on...(one with great battery life).

Isn't rooting basically unlocking the device

Unlocking and rooting are independent things. Rooting simply gives you R/W access to the /system partition, while unlocking the bootloader allows you to flash custom software without the need for a "bootstrap" or "safestrap". On many devices with locked bootloaders, you can't flash custom kernels because the locked bootloader prevents it. On a Nexus with an unlocked bootloader, flashing kernels is no problem. These can give performance and battery improvements and can give you some additional features (like GPU overclocking, AC charging over USB, color control, etc).

I don't really recommend the "easiest" way to root and unlock because if something goes wrong, you may not know how to fix it. I recommend using SBenson's root and unlock guide in the Galaxy Nexus Development section. Only difference is instead of using the superboot.bat within the superboot zip, you just need to flash supersu through a custom recovery or flash a ROM.

http://download.chainfire.eu/212/SuperSU/CWM-SuperSU-v0.96.zip <---------------- SuperSU. Download and put it on your internal SD card.

Flashing a custom recovery is easy though. Just download a recovery img (either CWM, CWM touch, or TWRP) just make sure you download the toro version. Once you have that downloaded you'll need to put it in your fastboot directory (you created this when following SBenson's guide). Turn your phone off and then turn your phone on again holding volume +, volume - and power and connect it to your computer. In a terminal type:

cd location/of/fastboot/directory (if you followed SBenson's guide, it should be C:/root; so you would type: cd C:/root )

fastboot flash recovery NameOfRecovery.img

Then you would boot into recovery by navigating to where it says "RECOVERY" using the volume buttons. Click power once you see "RECOVERY". You should now be in your recovery of choice. You can either flash the superSU zip I gave you OR you can simply flash a rooted ROM. I'm partial to Slim JB, but if you want to remain fairly stock, Bugless Beast is a good way to go.

Capone76

Reaction score
Syndicate0017 you are the man! You really do explain things to the fullest. I had my nexus for 8 months before unlocking and rooting using wugfresh nexus toolkit. From there finding ROMs on forums and a lot of the ROMs have custom kernels set up for that specific ROM. I had some problems in the beginning. Learning things. But the toolkit has everything you need down to a factory image in case you soft brick and need to start over. I'm using JBSourcery with Franco milestone 6 and get amazing performance. I thought I'd be a bit jealous when my girl got her S3 but my nexus is just as good. Except for screen size. Good luck my friend and like Syndicate0017 said there's a lot of folks to assist here.

hondaguy520

Reaction score
I completely agree with OP. Have a nexus and a 7. Both rocking buglessbeast and loving it

Sent from my Googlaxus

techinv

Reaction score
I have to admit that I was getting a little bored over the summer with the Gnex.

But since August, I've been flashing the Droid Concepts ROMs, TORO 4.1.2 Feature Rich Jelly Bean AOSP Based Rom(I think I heard about them here); recently augmented with custom kernels. Each of them has made the phone feel like new (especially with the custom kernels)!! I think I'll be happy for quite a while with these updates.

The flip side of this is I'll never pick up a phone with a locked bootloader ever again. Waiting on carriers for this stuff is a non-starter.

ntrddragn

Reaction score
Its a love hate relationship. Some days is awesome others not so much.