What to do?

SEGA

Reaction score
Sorry for the noob questions....

I want gingerbread and I guess that means I have to Root my DX

But I have never rooted my Droids and I don't really wanna F-UP my Droid X.

How easy/hard is it to bring my phone back to normal/original if I change my mind with the root?

Whats is the easiest way to root my Droid X with Gingerbread from Never Rooting before?

Lex_Luthor

Reaction score
All these questions you have now have already been asked and answered. Using the search function would give many hits for what you are looking for. But all this is done pretty easy and is the same with messing up your phone. If you really want to get the leaked GB update try google searching Gingerbread Droid X or even mydroidworld and you will find links to the leak. For rooting there are plenty of places here and other websites that will give you instructions on how to and rooting is the easiest thing to do. You have quite a bit to learn and i suggest you do your research and get comfortable with them before you go off and decide to flash things onto your phone. Ill try to find links for you if you are lost or need extra help but please dont ask me to if you are lazy this stuff literaly takes 10 minutes to find all you need to know and have. Good luck

Heres a link that might be very helpful to you on this: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...asy-guide-rooting-backup-rom-flashing-dx.html

Last edited:

BodyBagz

Reaction score
Well, its not that hard to do...but there can be some issues along the way depending on varying things...follow along and see what ya think...

1) Getting Root isnt hard...download and install ---> z4root...after install, open the app and select Perm Root. This could take anywhere from 2-10 minutes to work. If it goes longer, my advice is to do a battery pull, and then re-try z4root application...once it completes, it should reboot your phone, and then you will see the Super User app in your app drawer.

2) Once you get root, you need to get a valuable app from the Market...--->Droid X Recovery Bootstrap. You may as well get ---> Droid 2 Recovery Bootstrap depending on whether you use USB Debugging.
This will also instal CkockWorkMod, which allows you to do custom recoveries, as well as updating through .zip files...which comes into play later.

3) Go ahead and download the ---> New Full SBF for Droid X - 2.3.340, and save a copy to your PC/Laptop as well as on the SD card on your phone. Depending on how well the upgrade to GB goes, you may decide to revert back to Froyo, and to do so, you will need this file.

4) Go ahead and get ---> RSD Lite 4.9...you will need it to SBF back using the above SBF file. If you arent sure how to do an SBF, then make sure you read this ---> SBF - Detailed Guide for Success - Windows 7

5) Get the correct driver package for the PC you may be using to SBF with...--->32 Bit or ---> 64 Bit

6) Cruise over and get ---> Droid X Gingerbread (2.3.3) - Release - PreRooted, and install it according to the instructions of the first post in the release thread! I cant stress this enough...follow the directions precisely!

7) If you think you want to try out some themes, then you will need to go and get ---> Droid x (2.3.3) Gingerbread - Deodexed and Rooted, and install it according to the instructions found in the release thread.

Now, if you decide to go through all of this, and in fact make it all the way through, you will probably be pretty impressed with the GingerBread version of your Droid X. On the other hand, if you have a hard time, multiple boot-loops, battery pulls, factory data resets and the other trials and tribulations, you may just be willing to pull your hair out 1 by 1 with a pair of tweezers...good luck with whichever option you choose...:icon_eek::biggrin:

You may also want to check the multiple threads on the multiple forums concerning the "known issues and bugs and fixes" with doing this GB release...

Hope this has been at least partially helpful..:)

BodyBagz

Reaction score
Damn, thanks!:)
Let us know how it goes if you decide to jump into the shallow end where all the sharks are....:rofl3:

Really, I hope I have given you enough information to make a controlled decision...:)